• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] England v Scotland (16/03/2019)

Gutted for Scotland, although if they'd won I'd be even more p***** off at us losing.

I don't think Eddie Jones will change anything, but does anyone else think that we would have stopped a couple of the Scottish tries with Brown or an actual fullback on the pitch? Daly, for everything great he does in attack, doesn't seem to ever stop tries when the opposition break through the defensive line.

Not that I am blaming our second half on him. There is clearly a leadership problem.
Daly has done far better than I expected him to, this tournament, but he definitely got caught out of position on a couple of tries.

The one where we missed a whole bunch of tackles (was it the one that drew them level? or the one that they went ahead with?) he was way out of position and then when he got close he just got flattened with a fend.

If it was a year or more out of the world cup and he had more time to practise at FB I'd be fine with it, but going into the world cup I'm nervous.
Luckily Brown is showing excellent club form and is experienced enough just to slot into the side if called on.

Daly has done far better than I expected him to, this tournament, but he definitely got caught out of position on a couple of tries.

The one where we missed a whole bunch of tackles (was it the one that drew them level? or the one that they went ahead with?) he was way out of position and then when he got close he just got flattened with a fend.

If it was a year or more out of the world cup and he had more time to practise at FB I'd be fine with it, but going into the world cup I'm nervous.
Luckily Brown is showing excellent club form and is experienced enough just to slot into the side if called on.

It's a big worry. The problem is, there are a few tries we probably wouldn't score with Brown on as he doesn't have Daly's pace, passing or vision. Do we hope and pray Watson can find some form? I'm not sure, I think Jones sees him as a winger, really.

Daly's form has been so bad he should never have been picked in the squad for this tournament. Considering that, he wasn't too terrible but it definitely showed in patches

Espnstats can't be right surely.
Farrell
28 passes, 3 runs, 0 meters made, 0 defenders beaten
1 tackle made 1 tackle missed, 4 turnovers conceded

Ford
6 passes, 4 runs, 16 meters made, 3 defenders beaten
3 tackles made, 0 missed.

Farrell

Ford
Presumably some sort of mistake

Watson hasn't played in over a year, so I wouldn't put a massive amount of weight onto him.
It was also a severe, and repeated, achilles injury so there's no saying how much that will affect his speed/agility

Farrell

Ford
Commentator stats seem to back them up:
SubjJz8.jpg

Has watson even played fullback yet?
I think he got a couple of games there in the U20s as injury cover, but that's about it.
Daly's definitely got it for game time at FB, didn't he spend half a season playing FB for Wasps before moving to OC?

In seriousness though, Daly should be a good fit for the position, just not when out of form, when Brown was actually in good form, or having so many chances there without a genuinely good performance there.

Hello to all forum dwellers .. I was screaming at my TV right at the end having watched every Calcutta Cup match since 1975 either live or on TV and I really thought we could hold on for a famous victory but well played both teams, each half respectively. As a proud Scot I was feeling sick after about 30 minutes so a draw allows us to hold onto the CC which had looked mission impossible My wife also made the fair point at the end why don't we just let them score in the corner and roll the dice but it's just not in the rugby players psyche to give up points.

On Farrell....I have no issue with him at 10. He's had some brain farts, but we've also played some fantastic rugby with him there. My problem is that he needs help.

Playmaker, goal kicker and captain with all the onfield responsibility and media stuff etc that entails is a massive ask. If Faz is being stubborn or getting it wrong, who's in his ear? For all the talk about "the group" who's giving him on field counsel or challenge? I see very little of it. I'd prefer him not to be captain, but really who else is there? Who's got the stature, the gravitas, the aura, the nous?

Others made plenty of mistakes too. Nowell should have put Youngs in for the try rather than kicking and also missed two tackles that led directly to tries. May couldn't take down a hooker in open field.

We shouldn't get too hung up on today. It was a freak match, but it highlighted some big issues.

Pleased to see Scotland giving it a proper lash eventually.

Last edited:
Don't know what Townsend is saying at half time but it worked last weekend and today. England were absolutely formidable in the first 30 minutes. Finn Russell was truly majestic in the second half and a star is born in Sam Johnson. Both sides will be gutted with the result but a great game nonetheless.

Last edited:
Wtf was that ****. I wasn't counting but majority of their tries were from shitty defence. We completely switched off.

Ok so I've had a really shitty day that combine Ireland, England and a real world discussion...

For me watching that was England again taking their foot off the gas and panicking, same as Wales. Scotland took their chances (apart from one blatant forward pass) but they it was English mistakes rather than Scottish attack. Hell, two tries came from a charge down and intercept.

Latest posts