• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] Wales Squad

Also, for any of the English boys (or anyone who watches the Premiership) has Owen Williams actually played much lately... and if so, how's his form?

upload_2020-1-20_19-32-21.jpeg

Welsh Openside trilogy.

Also, for any of the English boys (or anyone who watches the Premiership) has Owen Williams actually played much lately... and if so, how's his form?
Like two or three times this season, all off the bench.
Some decent stuff and some bad (seen him miss touch on a penalty and also throw an intercept when attacking in the Toulouse 22 on the weekend).
I rate him but naming him after about 60mins rugby this season seems.... optimistic

Like two or three times this season, all off the bench.
Some decent stuff and some bad (seen him miss touch on a penalty and also throw an intercept when attacking in the Toulouse 22 on the weekend).
I rate him but naming him after about 60mins rugby this season seems.... optimistic
Yeah I had a feeling he hadn't played much, well it'll be 'interesting' at the least.

So what is people's thoughts on the starting line up for Italy? Gatland usually saw the game as a chance to give the 2nd string players time but surely Privac is going to go all out in his first game?
My selection (Depending on fitness):
L Williams, J McNicholl, Tompkins, Parkes, Adams, Biggar, T Williams, Wyn Jones, Owens, D Lewis, AW Jones, Ball, Navidi, Tipruic, Faluteau
Dee, R Evans, WG John, Rowlands, Wainwright, G Davies, J Evans, Rees-Zammit.

A few new faces on the bench, not sure whether if that's too much of a risk. I'm not sure if Liam Williams is definitely fit for the game though.

Last edited:
So what is people's thoughts on the starting line up for Italy? Gatland usually saw the game as a chance to give the 2nd string players time but surely Privac is going to go all out in his first game?
L Williams, J McNicholl, Tompkins, Parkes, Adams, Biggar, T Williams, R Evans, Owens, D Lewis, AW Jones, Ball, Navidi, Tipruic, Faluteau

A few new faces on the bench, not sure whether if that's too much of a risk. I'm not sure if Liam Williams is definitely fit for the game though.
Yeah the fact that it is the first game of the championship as well as Pivac's first real test match makes me think he'll go in quite strong. I'd pretty much go with who you've picked (though you've got Rob Evans starting and on the bench :D... assume you meant Wyn Jones starting).

Yeah the fact that it is the first game of the championship as well as Pivac's first real test match makes me think he'll go in quite strong. I'd pretty much go with who you've picked (though you've got Rob Evans starting and on the bench :D... assume you meant Wyn Jones starting).

No, I think he's that good, :p

Would have Carre on the bench but he's banned sadly.

No, I think he's that good, :p

Would have Carre on the bench but he's banned sadly.
Yeah fair play, I've had high hopes for Carre since watching him in the under 20's but he's probably come on quicker than I thought he would. With how he has performed I think the Blues could've used him far more last season.

L Williams, J McNicholl, Tompkins, Parkes, Adams, Biggar, T Williams, Wyn Jones, Owens, D Lewis, AW Jones, Ball, Navidi, Tipruic, Faluteau

That looks about right.

I'd maybe be tempted to start WGJ at tighthead to see what he's about, with maybe Brown on the bench to gauge what improvements he's made this season.

There's obviously options in the backrow. Shingler for his lineout, Moriarty for his physicality, but I'd probably edge towards the 4 you've selected.

Could Webb feature? His lack of game time for Toulon might make that unlikely.

North? Pivac may be confident that his more attacking gameplan will give the big man more space and more opportunities. We all know the guy is still lethal. For the record I'd probably take the opportunity to look at McNicholl and LRZ, maybe with North (and Lane) getting an opportunity v's other opposition.

Getting excited now. I know the injuries aren't great, but if some of these guys go well, then when the likes of Francis, Ellis Jenkins, Ollie Griffiths, Patchell, Watkin and JD2 return, we'll be in a great place.

I think North has got away with being pretty average in a Welsh shirt. past few years Now there's a few inform options he is out of the match-day 23 for me. Webb has struggled with Toulon and since both Williams and Davies have done pretty well the past year I think they will be hard for Webb to displace.

Going back to selection, as good as Ball was during the World Cup (very good in fairness) with Faletau back at 8 (& providing quality carries) Cory Hill would probably be my first choice partner for Alun Wynn at lock. Not saying he should start against Italy but for the games against Ireland and England, he would be my choice.

I've watched that victory over England in last years 6 Nations a few times and Hill stood out as being faultless when the pressure was on.

Yeah, Hill was exceptional in that game v England. It comes down to what we need, and how it complements the rest of the pack.

Like you said having Faletau back as a dynamic ball carrier is great, but he's most effective in the wider channels.

I think we've lacked those ball carriers which will make metres in the tight, get us on the front foot and generate quick ruck ball for the backs to play off. Ball is probably one of the better players at doing this. Moriarty too, but he'll probably miss out with Faletau back, unless he switches to 6 where there's huge competition. Owens does well bouncing off defenders. But overall I think we're lacking in comparison to Eng, SA etc.

Is this part of WGJ's game? He certainly looks physical enough! Is this something Carre could offer going forward from looshead?

Hill is a far more intelligent player. Great hands for a second row, picks nice lines on the carry, and offers leadership. He could certainly fit into Pivac's style of play, if we want to move the ball and attack off strike moves. It'll certainly be great to see him back after making huge strides last season.

Need another couple of second rows to step up now to really add to the competition. Beard and Seb have both fallen away recently, but both have lots of potential. Not seen enough of Rowlands to comment.

Is this part of WGJ's game? He certainly looks physical enough!
Aye, tight play is his speciality, especially goal line offence and defence (I've seen him single handedly stop a three man pod before).
As Pete Anglesea said "When he hits people they stay hit"

Yeah, Hill was exceptional in that game v England. It comes down to what we need, and how it complements the rest of the pack.

Like you said having Faletau back as a dynamic ball carrier is great, but he's most effective in the wider channels.

I think we've lacked those ball carriers which will make metres in the tight, get us on the front foot and generate quick ruck ball for the backs to play off. Ball is probably one of the better players at doing this. Moriarty too, but he'll probably miss out with Faletau back, unless he switches to 6 where there's huge competition. Owens does well bouncing off defenders. But overall I think we're lacking in comparison to Eng, SA etc.

Is this part of WGJ's game? He certainly looks physical enough! Is this something Carre could offer going forward from looshead?

Hill is a far more intelligent player. Great hands for a second row, picks nice lines on the carry, and offers leadership. He could certainly fit into Pivac's style of play, if we want to move the ball and attack off strike moves. It'll certainly be great to see him back after making huge strides last season.

Need another couple of second rows to step up now to really add to the competition. Beard and Seb have both fallen away recently, but both have lots of potential. Not seen enough of Rowlands to comment.
Yeah some good points made about tight carries. From what I've seen of Carre (under 20's stuff and his stuff since for Wales and bits with Sarries) I think he can perform that regularly but it is probably still a ways off him being a regular starter for Wales (although maybe not 'too' far). In the mean time though I think Rob Evans provides some decent ball carrying and I'd imagine that he will be wanting to prove a real point if/when he gets his chance this competition.

On WGJ, I don't know but from what I've read he has some pace for a prop, is 'dynamic'... and when you put that together with his size you'd have to think that he could bust through a defensive line. Will be excited to see a potential front row containing Carre and John as they are a lot bigger that what we have been become accustomed to there.

Liam Williams has been confirmed as out for the Italy game. Which means Halfpenny will be starting, Rees-Zammit has returned to training and will be fit.

Latest posts