• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Rugby Championship] Round 3 Australia v South Africa (12/9/2021)

That conversion attempt from Willemse was one of the worst I've ever seen.

That conversion attempt from Willemse was one of the worst I've ever seen.
Lol it was slightly off to the right. This your first rugby match mate?

Here's why Rugby in 50 years will be League:

We conceded 17 penalties to their 11.
We only missed 4 tackles to their 21.
We offloaded 12 times to their 2.
We made 3 clean breaks to their 0.

Despite those stats SA still came within 2 points and arguably should have won (Pollard/Willemse kicking). Dumb as **** bro. Who wants to watch mauls? They don't even make sense. Why would you have a random part of the game (the only part) where you suddenly can't tackle the ball carrier and obstruction is allowed?

Get your **** together world rugby.

Last edited:

Despite those stats SA still came within 2 points and arguably should have won (Pollard/Willemse kicking). Dumb as **** bro. Who wants to watch mauls? They don't even make sense. Why would you have a random part of the game (the only part) where you suddenly can't tackle the ball carrier and obstruction is allowed?

League is boring, 5 runs and a kick, repeat ad nauseam.

Why would you want to be more like your competition? That's a very poor business strategy.

I love mauls so **** off

I love mauls so **** off

Don't forget, Rucking, Lineouts, Scrums, good contests at the breakdown, and the phase upon phase upon phase attack v defence on the line.

Don't get any of that with League. Union you can play any number of ways. League the teams all seem to play the same way:

First 3 tackles, big guy bangs it up, 4th tackle they may try to do sometime but extremely hard as whilst they are groundshagging the defence can form up 10 yards away and then 5th tackle 9 times out of 10 a big up and under which is caught by the other side.
Repeat for the other side etc etc etc until I'm zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Kolisi lifted and drove. Always a card. That better?
Kolisi didn't drive him into the ground, he was trying to put him down safely so he didn't drop straight on his head; to do that given his position and balance all he could do is soften the trajectory by driving him forward as he came down, he wasnt in the position to just hold him up and stop him from hitting the ground altogether. I haven't looked up the rules recently and I think they've changed, but how it once was that wouldnt have necessarily been a card because all you were required to do was bring the player to ground safely, which I reckon he did.

hello springboks. now you know what the ABs have been through for the past 150 years of rugby. its easy to beat the best, its hard to be the best

You're right the mighty ABs are perfect and i shall do penance for suggesting otherwise. :rolleyes:

Your scrum and lineout completion last match was worse than Australia's. Your pack is workman like in their core roles and i think that can be exploited by a big pack, a low error rate and well organised defence (all of which the Bokkies have). England did it. Who gives a **** if Retallick can step like a back if he's not winning lineouts?

The Bok won't turn the ball over 30 times a game like Australia do.
Of course no team or anyone is perfect - but what you said is a nonsense, you can't rate a team on one game, you rate them over a lot matches... if you've actually watched the ABs over the years you'd realize that we play the game at a faster pace than any of the other teams, also the reason we score so many tries from counter attack situations etc is because we have plenty of athletic forwards that have the pace to link up with our backs, so there are always players in support to create scoring opportunities.

Also ABs were at number 1 most of the time over the last 10 years - it's impossible to do that if your defence & set pieces are shite.

Last edited:
Credit where credit is due - best game I've ever seen Quade play - showed excellent composure throughout the whole match, & slotting the 3pointer at the end too, shame he didn't have the mindset to play like that years ago, unfortunately he's near the end of his career.

Credit where credit is due - best game I've ever seen Quade play - showed excellent composure throughout the whole match, & slotting the 3pointer at the end too, shame he didn't have the mindset to play like that years ago, unfortunately he's near the end of his career.
I'm guessing you missed the entirety of the 2011 Super Rugby.

Great day to be a Quade and Wallaby fan.

Well the loss certainly doesn't come as a shock but in some regard it almost doesn't feel as if Aus actively won that one if that makes any sense? There were just too many flat performances, soft penalties given, kicks at goal missed, first time tackles missed (credit where its due though!). Can't blame anyone but ourselves for that one. Not wanting to take anything away from Aussie who looked like they just wanted it more which is often enough the difference in rugby. That'll probably take some pressure off of the team and I hope Aus can build from here (though not quite next week!) because its a very young team. Cooper, Hooper and especially Kerevi the standouts for me. The old heads.. though the rest certainly held their own well enough.

To some extent I am happy for a close loss if it translates into just a bit of introspection. I hope it shows that we'll need to add a few strings to our bow if we aren't going to just go back to being that team that oscillates between 2 and 5 and here and there beat NZ and win a world cup every 12 years. Not saying we need to throw away what we have, I'm not one of those people who wants everyone to have a chuck about and I can see and appreciate the subtle differences in the ways team that do play wider differ NZ =/= Scotland =/= Aus =/= Japan for instance BUT we should be able to put more pressure on the opposition ball in hand. I am of the opinion that if we mix it up just that little bit more our core will be that much more effective because you have to plant some doubt into the oppo.

hello springboks. now you know what the ABs have been through for the past 150 years of rugby. its easy to beat the best, its hard to be the best
You can hardly blame a nation for striving to be the best. And I'm splitting hairs here but for a surety NZ hasn't been #1 for 150 years. I'll give you the modern era but pre-isolation and professionalism SA was #1 if you apply the rankings backwards. Forget the rankings even, SA have the era 1921 to 1976 by 21 wins to 13 for NZ. That's a 62% win ration over NZ specifically prior to isolation.

Well the loss certainly doesn't come as a shock but in some regard it almost doesn't feel as if Aus actively won that one if that makes any sense? There were just too many flat performances, soft penalties given, kicks at goal missed, first time tackles missed (credit where its due though!). Can't blame anyone but ourselves for that one. Not wanting to take anything away from Aussie who looked like they just wanted it more which is often enough the difference in rugby. That'll probably take some pressure off of the team and I hope Aus can build from here (though not quite next week!) because its a very young team. Cooper, Hooper and especially Kerevi the standouts for me. The old heads.. though the rest certainly held their own well enough.

To some extent I am happy for a close loss if it translates into just a bit of introspection. I hope it shows that we'll need to add a few strings to our bow if we aren't going to just go back to being that team that oscillates between 2 and 5 and here and there beat NZ and win a world cup every 12 years. Not saying we need to throw away what we have, I'm not one of those people who wants everyone to have a chuck about and I can see and appreciate the subtle differences in the ways team that do play wider differ NZ =/= Scotland =/= Aus =/= Japan for instance BUT we should be able to put more pressure on the opposition ball in hand. I am of the opinion that if we mix it up just that little bit more our core will be that much more effective because you have to plant some doubt into the oppo.

You can hardly blame a nation for striving to be the best. And I'm splitting hairs here but for a surety NZ hasn't been #1 for 150 years. I'll give you the modern era but pre-isolation and professionalism SA was #1 if you apply the rankings backwards. Forget the rankings even, SA have the era 1921 to 1976 by 21 wins to 13 for NZ. That's a 62% win ration over NZ specifically prior to isolation.
Yeah, It has become a little bit one dimensional. Mix it up a bit. Remember how you were at the start of rassie's reign? You beat england in a series at home with attacking rugby, and despite atrocious defence at the time, and coming off a few years off very poor rugby by springboks standards.

now, on who was the best between 1921 and 1976, well I think you can discount all of the games in South Africa, since the all blacks had to be all white for those matches. So, that would mean the all blacks had a slight winning record against the boks during that time, I believe. perhaps we just wipe the whole period of history from our memories. Certainly I'm not proud that we played the springboks at all during those times.

between 1921 and 1976, well I think you can discount all of the games in South Africa, since the all blacks had to be all white for those matches
Would be great if you could post a few team pics of the AB's in that time. Not proud of the SA history but get that chip off your shoulder friend, life goes on.

Now that was a pleasant surprise, I didn't think the Wallabies would win. Kudos to them.

Last edited:

Latest posts