• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Rugby Championship] Round 6 South Africa v New Zealand (02/10/2021)

I've just watched the game on record. What a game of rugby, it would have been a travesty had the All Blacks won that, the Boks were fantastic. That SA performance was a lot better than any they produced when they won the RWC. Where did it come from?!. These two games have made one thing clear: The Springboks can still rattle the All Blacks like no other team can. It's not often you see the ABs get physically blitzed.

One thing that stands out is how Etsabeth and Marx carried on after that head clash. Two absolute warriors. So much blood on those two.

Anyone who says that the Boks make games boring should be made to watch this game over and over.

That was a classic.

I do hope the Boks continue to mix it up a little though as it worked wonders today.

The quality of todays match was by far the best of the year. A stat you don't see very often, AB's making more tackles than the Boks..
1633212583519.png

I'm still a bit hesitant on the Wallabies. Minimal quarantine especially compared to Boks/Pumas, played every single game at home, and got some pretty favorable calls in a few games.

If the Wallabies can go 4-0 or 3-1 in the Autumn Internationals, I'll tip my cap, but I want to see them away from friendly shores. Can easily see them losing to England and Wales, especially England who have had their number for the last several years.
Don't forget the abs had to quarantine too, may be closer to home but most have still been away for over 8 weeks

Does SA and Argentina have hotel quarantine when they go back? Abs now have two weeks in a hotel after a loss poor buggers

Boks had more variation in their game this time & also deserved to win.

Same old problem with the AB backs trying to run it when we're receiving slow ball from our forwards, pretty dumb stuff really as you're going to continually run into a brick wall when the opposition have plenty of time to smother/strangle you - the turning point in the game for me was when Frans Steyn came on in the 2nd half & kicked intelligently behind us into space towards the corners, consistently pinning us deep in our half... that's exactly what we should've been doing to them, real lack of smarts from our players & coaching staff.

In rugby you need to be competing for the ball in all areas of the game - so it's utterly ridiculous that for ages we have hardly ever competed in the air for the oppositions lineout throw... why gift them their own ball without bloody challenging for it ? even if they don't manage to make any ground going forward from a maul, they still have the ball well under control & can work it to back of the maul, then go through phase play again.

We nearly lost the game cause Faf passed too much ;)

Well done Bokke, very proud, relieved, and with renewed hope for the future

Jordan is our best winger at times, and in potential, but not in consistency of performance. He makes a lot of mistakes, and doesnt handle pressure. I'd be tempted to play him but Sometimes I think they ease players in so as to protect them against the risk of developing performance anxiety, like happened to toeava. Certainly jordan seems prone to it ( eg in super rugby the first game the crusaders were under pressure he just went from bad to worse, had an absolute shocker), so I can understand them being a bit careful with him.

On foster, if you want to say he is a bad coach in general then maybe start a thread about it because it's kinda off topic here. And then I'll be less likely to misunderstand what you are trying to say, because I won't be trying to link it to this game or to the conversation happening in the thread. If you want to talk about how something about this game, eg selections for this game, has to do with foster being a bad coach then you should say so here.
What are you watching ? Jordan doesn't make a lot of mistakes, also handles the pressure well, the bloke has scored 11 tries in 7 tests - you don't wrap players up in cotton wool anyway... Toeava was an exciting running back, he failed at international level because his mental toughness under pressure was really poor, so constantly made silly errors.

I can talk about Foster on any rugby thread I want to... the last time I looked this was a site for rugby - the ABs have a lot more talent than any other team, that fact is they are poorly coached, only have to analyse this last test against the Boks.

Lineout was a total shambles.

Major issues in the front row (mainly the props)

Captaincy issues

Sorry but time to move on from Perenara. Weber should have played the whole game.

Akira went missing for the second game in a row. What they see in Tuipulotu is beyond me. Made absolutely no impact off the bench as per usual.

Totally monstered at the breakdown again like last week. This is a serious problem and I'm hugely concerned about this going forward.

What are you watching ? Jordan doesn't make a lot of mistakes, also handles the pressure well, the bloke has scored 11 tries in 7 tests - you don't wrap players up in cotton wool anyway... Toeava was an exciting running back, he failed at international level because his mental toughness under pressure was really poor, so constantly made silly errors.

I can talk about Foster on any rugby thread I want to... the last time I looked this was a site for rugby - the ABs have a lot more talent than any other team, that fact is they are poorly coached, only have to analyse this last test against the Boks.
I don't think the ABs have "a lot" more talent than any other nation. I the depth is the best in the world, but I would say France and Boks are right behind them. Honestly, I'd say France has the most pure talent in the world right now. Some of it is unproven, but they are dripping with potential at so many positions.

Jordan made 5 errors that I counted in the one game against Tonga for instance. He made at least two errors in The last game, but I wasn't analysing that one so closely because I had intended to watch a second time, which I didn't. In both of the crusaders games where they were under pressure, he made a lot of errors. Those two games and the last one against the springboks are the only super rugby or above games that he has played where there has been substantial pressure. Therefore it's reasonable to suspect he is poor under pressure.

And no, this forum like most forums asks you to stay on topic of the thread.

Also the all blacks really don't have a lot more talent than other teams, especially not at the moment. We have more X factor players, but other teams have tactically smarter players, bigger players with better work rates, forwards with more physical stamina, better scrummagers, better players at the breakdown, players who have a lot more experience in highly organised defensive structures because the top teams in English prem, top 14, and pro14 have more organised defence and spend more time training it, forwards who are better at coordinating a ball retention strategy, etc.

Wayne smith and graham henry have both said in the past that the springboks player base s the best in the world.

The springboks top team at the moment is better than ours.

I think definitely we could have won this game if we had better coaching. But I also think the springboks are a very good team, and their players in this game are actually better than ours.

Last edited:
Jordan made 5 errors that I counted in the one game against Tonga for instance. He made at least two errors in The last game, but I wasn't analysing that one so closely because I had intended to watch a second time, which I didn't. In both of the crusaders games where they were under pressure, he made a lot of errors. Those two games and the last one against the springboks are the only super rugby or above games that he has played where there has been substantial pressure. Therefore it's reasonable to suspect he is poor under pressure.

And no, this forum like most forums asks you to stay on topic of the thread.
Really ? that's very pedantic, you could have the same stat for all our players & any player can easily have a one-off shocker, no one plays the perfect game, all you can do is try to make the least amount of mistakes you can... as said his mental toughness is good under pressure overall.

Again, if it's anything to do with rugby I'll mention it on any of these threads.

I don't think the ABs have "a lot" more talent than any other nation. I the depth is the best in the world, but I would say France and Boks are right behind them. Honestly, I'd say France has the most pure talent in the world right now. Some of it is unproven, but they are dripping with potential at so many positions.
Would have to disagree, as the other teams are not able to play the fast pace game the ABs execute, they are all looking to nullify us by constantly slowing our possession down, not just because of our backs, also because our forwards have the speed to link up with them to keep the movements going.

Really ? that's very pedantic, you could have the same stat for all our players & any player can easily have a one-off shocker, no one plays the perfect game, all you can do is try to make the least amount of mistakes you can... as said his mental toughness is good under pressure overall.

Again, if it's anything to do with rugby I'll mention it on any of these threads.
Just pointing out that one game because I'm guessing from your approach of analysing players that you would have missed that he had a poor game against Tonga and just said he was great because he scored 5 tries. How you can say he is generally good under pressure when he has very rarely been under pressure and then has been extremely poor when he has been under pressure is beyond me. It's pretty arrogant to dismiss someone's opinion that is based in objective things they have noticed but you haven't.

Keep hearing this but France are yet to fire a shot. To suggest they have better depth than the All Blacks is laughable.

And you give me stick for my analysis.

Lineout was a total shambles.

Major issues in the front row (mainly the props)

Captaincy issues

Sorry but time to move on from Perenara. Weber should have played the whole game.

Akira went missing for the second game in a row. What they see in Tuipulotu is beyond me. Made absolutely no impact off the bench as per usual.

Totally monstered at the breakdown again like last week. This is a serious problem and I'm hugely concerned about this going forward.
Yeah, Captaincy hasn't been that great, that's just not about the captain, also involves the leadership group.

Akira has been disappointing in his last two matches - don't rate Tuipulotu much either... thought the Highlanders lock Pari Pari Parkinson would be in the squad, he's very mobile for a big bloke, also tends to have the wingspan of an albatross :)

Wondering if Perenara is properly fit ? he is fast & athletic, but isn't showing that at the moment.

We got monstered at the breadown because we don't get enough numbers there to clean out, so can't protect our possession or give better service to our backs... that's happened for far too long, vital we adjust in that area.

Just pointing out that one game because I'm guessing from your approach of analysing players that you would have missed that he had a poor game against Tonga and just said he was great because he scored 5 tries. How you can say he is generally good under pressure when he has very rarely been under pressure and then has been extremely poor when he has been under pressure is beyond me. It's pretty arrogant to dismiss someone's opinion that is based in objective things they have noticed but you haven't.
Not dismissing your opinion, but your just not talking much sense - you can't just go pin pointing bits of each game he plays in... what about talking about our poor option taking against the rush defence, how to improve our lineouts etc ?

Not dismissing your opinion, but your just not talking much sense - you can't just go pin pointing bits of each game he plays in... what about talking about our poor option taking against the rush defence, how to improve our lineouts etc ?
Ok now I see where you are coming from - you don't think errors are as significant as I do. I am pin pointing bits of each game, but only because some bits are more important than others. Just like I would pin point how his well timed insertion into the line or 'always In The right place at the right time' support play had caused a try that most likely wouldn't have been scored by another player, but I wouldn't pin poibt each time he caught an easy pass or made an easy tackle or took an easy high ball, or scored an easy try at the end of an overlap where any other winger would have done the same. To me even two errors is too many unless you are doing something special that the other winger you could have chosen would t have done. And five errors against a third string Tonga is more significant than five tries when the team would have been aiming to be clinical.

"what about talking about our poor option taking against the rush defence, how to improve our lineouts etc"
What about it?

Last edited:
Keep hearing this but France are yet to fire a shot. To suggest they have better depth than the All Blacks is laughable.

And you give me stick for my analysis.
The Wallabies barely beat a D side France team at home. France won back to back junior world championships. Have the wallabies even won one?

Latest posts