• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

(2022 Rugby Championship - Round 5) - Australia V New Zealand (15/9/2022) [Bledisloe 1]

I can't say I disagree with anything that's being said but it still doesn't sit right with me. Raynal have the pen at 78.24 and was still explaining it to NZ at 78.37. It's hard to follow then because he cuts to replay but he calls time on at 78.57 and blows at 79.03. 6 seconds for a kicker to set himself and go isn't that generous, especially when half the team is in a huddle (which I blame more than Foley, do that when the ball is dead ffs).

I think, rightly or wrongly, it ruined what would have been an all time test match. It highlighted issues with refereeing communication at the very least - "we play" is hardly a clear warning you'll turn a penalty over.

From a refereeing perspective it may have been sound but from a player's perspective it was bogus. Very few sports have a bigger disconnect there than rugby.

And probably puts Tupaea out for at least 6 months, whilst Swain if his yellow gets turned into red gets X number of games banned.

No intent Rennie just a f'ing brainless clean out.

Some might be as long, but this one was different because it involved Raynal warning Foley to get on with it... four times by my count
Not ' might', they were.
It is amazing how you harmoniously throw the ref's consistency out the window, every time, every bloody time it serves your team's argument. You dont even flinch. And sure, every time your case is surprisingly different, unrelated, unique in some way that requires a complete and radically distinct analysis and aplication of the laws. The convenience is astounding. Again, and again, and again.

When a ref calls something dubious, greyish against the team you support you innevitably bring up similar instances from opossing team or other games. You cry foul, scream and whine. The lot. You put that tin foil hat you adore, spit a conspiracy theory and call whoever opposes your view anti nz.

But when the dubious call favours your team you're capable of digging up the most obscure rule and stick to it no matter what. ' rules are rules', 'two wrongs dont make a right', etc.

Sugar coat it the any way you want.

The ref could have said 'you have 5 sec to kick the ball or i'll give NZ a free kick' and this, all of this would have been a non issue.
He did not and here we stand.

When the ref has the tools at his disposal to do something that is, in my view, for the good of the game, and he choses not to, i call that poor refereeing. It's not rocket science.

From a refereeing perspective it may have been sound but from a player's perspective it was bogus. Very few sports have a bigger disconnect there than rugby.
It's even worse. I can't think of another sport where the ref actively intervenes to prevent players from commiting a foul. 'don't', 'stand back', 'hands off', etc. We see it every game. Every-single-game.
Yet suddenly he is enxplicably unable to tell the kicker 'kick or i penalize you. You have 5 secs.'?

I think he's one of those refs who thinks he's bigger than the game and just has to influence a match as opposed to a good ref who wants to let the game play. What a way to ruin a great game of rugby. I hope he gets disciplined but I doubt it.

The most annoying thing for me, is that we should be talking about one of the greatest test matches in recent years, in which both teams contributed fully to a fantastic spectacle, yet we are not talking about the great rugby played by both sides, we're talking about the referee. That should never be the case. A referee is meant to be a facilitator, not the main attraction.

Alright bro. Enjoy the Auckland dead rubber and another year with the cup.
That's another thing that is winding me up. The game next week could have been a classic with a Wallaby team, finally with self-belief after a stunning comeback, going to Auckland knowing that they potentially had the beating of this very vulnerable All Blacks team - All with the Bledisloe on the line. It was shaping up to be an absolute beauty - and then the referee goes and ruins it. Now, we'll probably get an ABs team, free from the shackles, putting 40+ points on a tired and gutted Aussie team - all in front of a probably short of capacity crowd. That won't do the massively dented reputation of the Bledisloe Cup any favours whatsoever. Like it or not, we need a decider every year under the two match system otherwise the Bledisloe cup will continue its slide into irrelevance.

Not ' might', they were.
It is amazing how you harmoniously throw the ref's consistency out the window, every time, every bloody time it serves your team's argument. You dont even flinch. And sure, every time your case is surprisingly different, unrelated, unique in some way that requires a complete and radically distinct analysis and aplication of the laws. The convenience is astounding. Again, and again, and again.

When a ref calls something dubious, greyish against the team you support you innevitably bring up similar instances from opossing team or other games. You cry foul, scream and whine. The lot. You put that tin foil hat you adore, spit a conspiracy theory and call whoever opposes your view anti nz.

But when the dubious call favours your team you're capable of digging up the most obscure rule and stick to it no matter what. ' rules are rules', 'two wrongs dont make a right', etc.

Kiwi-bashing asshats like you were one of the reasons I left in the first place, and just look - nothing has changed - you're still doing it.

I suspected it might be a mistake for me to come back here after three years, but I thought I woud give it a try. Looks like I was right

I'm off - too old be be arsed putting up with this sort of crap from you or anyone else.

Enjoy your fcukin' echo chamber

The ref could have said 'you have 5 sec to kick the ball or i'll give NZ a free kick' and this, all of this would have been a non issue.
He did not and here we stand.

When the ref has the tools at his disposal to do something that is, in my view, for the good of the game, and he choses not to, i call that poor refereeing. It's not rocket science.
I'll agree that Raynal's communication should have been better. He could have made it clear he would penalise Foley, especially as 99/100 times he wouldn't be penalised.

Not ' might', they were.

Kiwi-bashing asshats like you were one of the reasons I left in the first place, and just look - nothing has changed - you're still doing it.

I suspected it might be a mistake for me to come back here after three years, but I thought I woud give it a try. Looks like I was right

I'm off - too old be be arsed putting up with this sort of crap from you or anyone else.

Tbh I think you were far too aggressive and rude there @Cruz_del_Sur

I don't think the decision was fair personally as it's completely inconsistent with 99.9% of similar situations, but it was legal and NZ fans are perfectly within their rights to point this out.

warning on air GIF by Adult Swim

*In jest

AB first try whistled at 3:10, Mounga starts conversion kick at 4:47 and hits it at 4:49.

Law 8.8.d

The kicker: Takes the kick within 90 seconds (playing time) from the time the try was awarded, even if the ball rolls over and has to be placed again.

Obviously wasn't too fussed about the speed of the game at the start eh.

Shame. TBH I was surprised you returned in the first place. There is still an "Ignore" option you know.

Man... Aussie were robbed. If I was the country that had not held the rivalry cup between the two nations for what, 18 years? And that happened to my national team, when talking about that rivalry for the next decade I'd mention that refereeing decision. That is absolutely criminal. I couldn't fathom how the players on the Australian rugby team feel, it makes me uncomfortable because something like that just isn't rugby for me. For NZ to be so bold as to not even play for a draw which was SO OUTRAGEOUS to me in the first place, and for the referee to then do that, which I mean, we're talking about a 1 in a million call, well, it's worse than that but yeah... And like people have mentioned prior, when world rugby is already having refs as babysitters 'hands out", "roll away" etc. Yeah... Wild.

What an amazing match! I thought the AB's would win, but it was closer than I predicted. I wish I could have been there in person. Congratulations NZ. 👍

Last edited:
Coming from the producers of "haters of anyone wearing black jersey on this site will always paint them as the demons", that's cute. Paranoid, delusional and insane. But cute.
Let's not forget you left the board in a tantrum worthy of a 11 month old.

You thinking you are right regardless of the evidence... and then acusing others of living in an echo chamber. You changing the argument every time it suits you, and the acussing others of echo chamber?
Define irony.

Tbh I think you were far too aggressive and rude there @Cruz_del_Sur
I understand how it can come across that way. I dont think it is. He posts as if he was god's gift to the board. Well, when you fall from those clouds you are expected incur in a serious amount of pain. Wear a parachute or something.

He say's he's too old to put up with other people's crap. Fine. I am done putting up with his hypocrisy, his cynicism, his intelectual dishonesty, his double standards and clearly unwarranted arrogance.
I could have toned it down, fair enough. The message remains the same.

When people from every latitude and longitude called him out on his nonsense he called them haters and stuck his head in the sand.
And now he pulls off the echo chamber card on us? No, **** no.

Other than Foley and the YC recipients, Australia deserved a win there. Impressed they didn't give away more points when they had 13 men.

But also want to say, the bad sportsmanship was started by the AB's during the haka with that off-script throat-slitting

Man... Aussie were robbed. If I was the country that had not held the rivalry cup between the two nations for what, 18 years? And that happened to my national team, when talking about that rivalry for the next decade I'd mention that refereeing decision. That is absolutely criminal. I couldn't fathom how the players on the Australian rugby team feel, it makes me uncomfortable because something like that just isn't rugby for me. For NZ to be so bold as to not even play for a draw which was SO OUTRAGEOUS to me in the first place, and for the referee to then do that, which I mean, we're talking about a 1 in a million call, well, it's worse than that but yeah... And like people have mentioned prior, when world rugby is already having refs as babysitters 'hands out", "roll away" etc. Yeah... Wild.
Honestly, if that had happened to Wales in a Wales v NZ game I would be counting it as a Wales win.

Latest posts