• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2022 World Cup - Qatar

Good to see Maddison, TAA and Ben White included .

But only one left back who prefers to use his left foot. I thought Southgate liked balance in his side?

But Southgate clearly has his favourites including old Slab-head, who was dreadful v Germany but also all last season and has hardly played this season because he's second choice for Man U. No doubt he'll start for England.

Tomori desperately unlucky but Southgate doesn't seem to rate him despite being quicker than the oil tanker McGuire and playing consistently for AC Milan.

And also no Toney, despite being very good at penalties.

Plus, Walker and Phillips who will not be match fit post operations. Especially after ruling out James, which was right. Neither likely to start in group matches, bench options at best to get back to match fitness.

Then we have this weekend's games to come so any of these players could go down.

ENGLAND PREDICTED XI V IRAN

Goalkeeper: Jordan Pickford
Defence: Kieran Tripper, John Stones, Eric Dier, Harry Maguire, Luke Shaw
Midfield: Declan Rice, Jude Bellingham
Attack: Phil Foden, Harry Kane, Raheem Sterling

I think Paddy Power will be the most accurate.

All the more reason to stay at home and get a crate in with mates and watch the games.

An odd one.
Arg has a tradition of making somewhat epic tv commercials before world cups, most remembering past glories, foes, heroes, villains and some supposedly imaginary qualities that we (and ONLY we) argentines possess. That makes us special, unique, unrivaled. Appealing to cheap sentimentalism, passion and patriotism/nationalism is the norm. The tagline 'the fate of our nation rests on the shoulders of these 23 souls' would fit nicely with most of those ads.
Some of them have been quite effective to be honest. It is quite a recurrent thing for us.

Do you guys have something along the same lines? What would be the best world cup commercial from your countries?
I'll leave 2 from past wcs. You prolly need youtube's subtitle thingie for some of em.

And the songs. jesus crhist. If only we applied that talent and creativity to something productive we'd conquer the galaxy.

This one is not from a wc but it's along the same lines, thought you might enjoy it.

Do you guys have something along the same lines? What would be the best world cup commercial from your countries?
Apparently no official England World Cup song. Probably a good thing. Surprisingly low key this year. Mention of updating the three lions song, which I am sure will be changed to "you're going home" by opposition fans when England go out Lol.

Not seen any adverts, billboards, anything for this world cup - would never know it starts this weekend

It's a very, very, very weird situation. I've never seen nor expected it to be this bad. Nobody gives a **** (relative to other world cups). I'd thought interest would take a hit given location and not being held during NH's summer, but never saw something like this coming.

Not-so-minor details. In previous WCs we used to have players concentrating with the team for roughly 1 month before the thing started.
Now it's less than a week. And i'm not talking about a guy playing in ghana's second division who miraculously made it to the team this week. No. Messi, Neymar, and Mbape played last weekend. Let me say it again: they all played last weekend.

I asked a couple of guys i watch footie (not rugby) with: what's your team's group, point blank. Half couldn't tell me the other 3 teams in their group. They really wanted to, but couldnt. They could have answered that question easily in any of the previous WC they watched.

Just heard a few new songs. I cannot even begin to explain what the lyrics of our songs are about. Jesus christ. i need some time.

We commercials with Jon hamm, Ellie kemping, and Mariah Carey. There have been a lot of them. Really hyping up pulisic even though he can't get off the bench and a ton of Americans are playing really well right now.

Biggest issue is that fall isn't World Cup time. It's American football and two friendlies/WCQ time.

Usually England is going mental this year nobody gives a rats ass. I really think its the location more than anything else. Everyone knows that Qatar should never have got it and its hard to talknabout the tournament without saying what a **** idea it is.

The main thing that's been talked about is the LGBTQ+ rights and the issues that has for some travelling fans.

And hard to like this tournament on the back of 6,500 workers dying to build the stadia for what is a month long of football.

If the football turns out to be also junk then it'll be a footnote in WC history IMO, not that it won't be with the above and all other issues surrounding it.

Yeah, glad we boycotted this one to be fair.

I'll watch some of it, a couple matches a week or so, but I usually watch more football during a world cup than I do in the 4 years separating them.

Latest posts