• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2022 World Cup - Qatar

"Listen y'all, we're trying to have some human rights violations of our own here. We've spent a shitload of money and well, we booked all well in advance and you know, competition takes away a bit of the spotlight and that hurts everybody"

Usually England is going mental this year nobody gives a rats ass. I really think its the location more than anything else. Everyone knows that Qatar should never have got it and its hard to talknabout the tournament without saying what a **** idea it is.

The main thing that's been talked about is the LGBTQ+ rights and the issues that has for some travelling fans.
it really is a perfect storm of disinterest

for a lot of us things like workers dying during construction and their human rights issues are enough, but listening to some football podcasts even football thugs who dont care about those issues are talking about club over country and the league being in full flow and so the WC will come after that

Anyone seen the Netflix documentary on FIFA? Estimated 3k workers killed building the world cup stadiums
I've seen 6.5k migrant workers figure (including in above Guardian article). Still a terrible waste of life for 6 weeks of football and no doubt those stadia will end up being massive white elephants once the tournament is over.

I just can't get excited about this world cup at all. In terms of 'fan experience' it will probably be the worst in history.

I wonder how many thick brown envelopes were given to FIFA executives by Russia and Qatar to secure hosting this and the last WC. Despicable and corrupt organisation. Hopefully the legacy is that people boycott Qatar as I assume they wanted to promote the country for leisure, tourism and investment.

I've seen 6.5k migrant workers figure (including in above Guardian article). Still a terrible waste of life for 6 weeks of football and no doubt those stadia will end up being massive white elephants once the tournament is over.
I'm still amazed at Qatar's attempt to justify? mitigate? it.

"Those numbers are not accurate because not all died on world cup projects"

So yes we did call all those people through terrible working conditions, but it wasn't all for the world cup so we have the moral high ground.

It's actually ridiculous to think that they can try to downplay the deaths and deflect by saying not all died in building stadiums. Honestly who thought that would be a good response.

Absolute bullshit that fifa made Brazil change their alcohol laws then. Real double standard of letting an oil state do whatever they want.

One of the best free interactive guides on each team.

But also a more realistic view from fans around the world of their expectations.

WTF? 😡 is he deliberately trying to wind people up?
Fifa is full of corruption, wouldn't be at all surprised that he is batting for someone who has given him money.

In general though this whole "Europeans did bad things in the past therefore can't criticise others for doing bad things now" is such a stupid argument. It's like white Europeans and only white Europeans have ever committed atrocities and that our entire existence up until just a few decades ago was one of destruction, enslavement, conquest, racism, misogyny and all the terrible human traits bundled into one. Nobody denied Europeans and the west in general have done terrible things in history, it's recognised that it was unacceptable but that doesn't mean others are allowed to "catch up" on atrocities before we can condemn them. It's also ridiculous how it's treated like we were unique in what we did. We don't demand the Mongols apologise for the greatest slaughter of the worlds population (as a % of the time) history had ever seen.

It's just a lazy way to justifying current atrocities.

Unbelievable speech. Also comparing being ginger to being a homosexual.

Latest posts