• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2022 World Cup - Qatar

England have to lose by 4-0 to Wales to not get through, so still likely we will get through.

Annoyed at Southgate because of his persistence with a slow back line starting with Stones and Maguire. He thought they played well by passing from the back, but as Gary Neville said afterwards they both got stuck passing the ball between them so far back
and couldn't get it forward to midfield and then onto Sterling.

It also affects the whole team their lack of pace as it allowed USA to press England back into our half and play in front of them. That's why you had such big bags between England's three banks or lines and easy for USA to contain England. Kane just got frustrated and dropped deeper in hunt for the ball.

Rice dropped deeper to get the ball off his centre backs but then his passing couldn't find Bellingham, Mount because USA midfield had squeezed their space.

Just nuts Southgate can't see it and how it affects the whole team. He had the year since the Euros to play and integrate Tomori of Milan, who would have added pace to centre back and good on the ball allowing a higher line to play. But he just doesn't trust him yet and sticks to a player in Maguire whose lack of pace Ten Hag has seen and why he's not playing regularly for Man U.

I think England will get through. They are not that bad to lose 4-0 to Wales but should have wrapped it up after 2 matches top of the group and resting players for the knockout stages and giving others a go, which in turn would have lifted the squad.

Unfortunately, I can see once England meet a France or better team they will face similar problems as the Euros.

Finish top of pool B then England will play winner of Ecuador or Senegal. Finish second then likely face the Netherlands in last 16. I didn't think Netherlands were that impressive either.

Wales need a big win and hope the result in the Iran v USA ends in a draw too qualify. So I think Southgate will likely go to a back 3 and play Wales on the counter attack and pick them off like Iran did.

Bring in Walker to play as right centre back and maybe Phillips although more likely Henderson for Bellingham, Foden for Saka. If he's bold then Rashford for Sterling on the left.

Last edited:
Just saw the Saudi manager's HT team talk v Argentina, eccentric to say the least!

The two pundits on Irish TV whose careers peaked at Birmingham City were bizarrely unimpressed. I thought it was brilliant.

Won't get to watch much international sport today with the Leinster match but hoping to get Argentina Mexico in, it would be a bit nuts if Mexico can nab a win.

Just saw the Saudi manager's HT team talk v Argentina, eccentric to say the least!

The two pundits on Irish TV whose careers peaked at Birmingham City were bizarrely unimpressed. I thought it was brilliant.

Won't get to watch much international sport today with the Leinster match but hoping to get Argentina Mexico in, it would be a bit nuts if Mexico can nab a win.
Loved how the translator matched the manager's passion.

Expect Argentina to be a lot better v Mexico. They have a good record against them and even a huge nation like Mexico has been disappointing at the World Cup.

With more on the line in the last group matches hopefullly teams start to open up more and go for it.

Expect Argentina to be a lot better v Mexico. They have a good record against them and even a huge nation like Mexico has been disappointing at the World Cup.

With more on the line in the last group matches hopefullly teams start to open up more and go for it.

Yeah the translator was pure gold. Shouting with the same passion as the manager. Outstanding!

Also enjoyed Roy Keane's punditry last night on ITV. Having a dig at the England players after the match for having a game of darts.

They're very fortunate to be in a group with Mexico and Poland who routinely look out of their depth at finals tournaments.

I do expect a bounce back with so much on the line.

Yeah the translator was pure gold. Shouting with the same passion as the manager. Outstanding!

Also enjoyed Roy Keane's punditry last night on ITV. Having a dig at the England players after the match for having a game of darts.
Keane's always good for a quip. But I wish the pundits would point out the glaring fault in England's lack of high line. Only Neville pointed out how Stones and Maguire got stuck behind passing between themselves and Rice choosing the easy pass to Trippier and Shaw out wide which didn't get England go forward Ball.

Others like Richards on BBC kept banging on about Foden and individual performances but missing the collective shape of the team and not getting and move together further upfield so they could you know pass to each other.

Yeh Foden Could have made a difference but not if he's not getting the ball. Grealish looked good but often ran infield into a 3-4 US players and couldn't find or pass to others or shooting chance at goal.

Kane looks knackered as well. Conte alluded to this in his last match for Spurs before the WC. But is Southgate really gonna drop his Captain and rest him v Wales? Probably not.

I think Wales might even been given a bit of impetus now given it's their likely last match and it's v England. Bale and Ramsey surely can't play as badly again. And Joe Allen will surely start.

Same note too bro

Should have been a red card on Denmark. Just rugby tackling as the last defender. So lucky to get away with a yellow. Pretty sure the rule expert said roja a couple times.

France Win GIF by ElevenSportsBE

x 2. What a player.

Last edited:
Argentina been disappointing so far. If Mexico win they are out. Seeing the dying of the light of Messi's career possibly.

Finally!!!!

Lionel Messi Win GIF by FIFA

Last edited:
And now over to Germany today.

I like the point about pressing high up the pitch and it being risky. We saw a lack of this by England v USA and Stones and Maguire just playing too low a defensive line and playing balls between themselves.

But if they don't take risks and hold a higher line and compress the pitch I think sooner or later it will get found out. If not v Wales then in the knockout stages.

Last edited:
Looking forward to Spain v Germany tonight. We'll see what Germany are made of when their backs are against the wall.

And over and out for Canada. i like how Croatia build up their play through their passing. Didn't panic when they went 1-0 behind.

Latest posts