• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

Danny Wilson to Tigers till end of season to help Wigglesworth.

Gives stock to a certain Scottish head coach coming next season, who was very good friends with Wilson

There were reports in the Scotsman that Townsend had applied to be France's attack coach after the RWC. Speaks French and played in France for a few years. Does seem like he's off to pastures new after the RWC. No chance he gets out of that group of death with Ire and SA.

There were reports in the Scotsman that Townsend had applied to be France's attack coach after the RWC. Speaks French and played in France for a few years. Does seem like he's off to pastures new after the RWC. No chance he gets out of that group of death with Ire and SA.

French are going with the stade head coach from what I gather

I know he's versatile but I don't think Marchant plays 9 :p

Is that immediate or next season? Remember him joining Bristol as injury cover but don't know who for/how long
Next year. Imagine it means Gjaltema, Steele or, probably, Stafford off. Tbh Gjaltema or Stafford would be a sensible pickup for Ealing or another champ hopeful

Not being able to hold onto the international lads with enormous salaries is one thing, but having to let go of a club stalwart like Dave is another.
Gotta be something beyond the salary cap at this point surely? It's like that whole generation of players is going
Enough big players have left that you could fit a contract extension in under the cap easy

Maybe they all got together and agreed to do it at once, rip the bandaid off - they've all given everything to the club/achieved everything it's possible to achieve, time to go and test new pastures?

Gotta be something beyond the salary cap at this point surely? It's like that whole generation of players is going
Enough big players have left that you could fit a contract extension in under the cap easy

Maybe they all got together and agreed to do it at once, rip the bandaid off - they've all given everything to the club/achieved everything it's possible to achieve, time to go and test new pastures?
Yeah, I think this is definitely part of it. Baxter has been very open about saying that the squad is in a rebuilding phase and that he's most interested in young players who haven't won anything yet; essentially implying that the Champions Cup winning generation have gotten too complacent.

I don't doubt that that's the case, but losing so many big names at once has to be detrimental. The team sheet next season is going to be pretty much unrecognisable from the one that was winning things two seasons ago.

Surely there have to be some fairly major signings to be announced because otherwise, we really could be in some trouble.

Yeah, I think this is definitely part of it. Baxter has been very open about saying that the squad is in a rebuilding phase and that he's most interested in young players who haven't won anything yet; essentially implying that the Champions Cup winning generation have gotten too complacent.

I don't doubt that that's the case, but losing so many big names at once has to be detrimental. The team sheet next season is going to be pretty much unrecognisable from the one that was winning things two seasons ago.

Surely there have to be some fairly major signings to be announced because otherwise, we really could be in some trouble.
The longevity of Baxter and the coaching team is also likely to be part of any problem. Fresh blood / thinking is always needed (just not at an E Jones rate) and is a delicate balancing act with stability.

It's quite exaggerated at Chiefs right now but other teams will also have to get used to senior players heading off for the cash, and especially pronounced in World Cup year.

So I was saying to a Quins mate I always thought that you would go for either Robson as short term or Porter as long term solution @Not Mike Brown's Sock.
Seemingly long term solution of Porter has been taken. 100% will be the second best scrummie and will do a fantastic job. Could see Robson coming across next year as very similar to care if he hangs his boots up.

Wonder also if Ollie Monye will rock up in your academy sooner rather than later.