• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

4-12-2010: Barbarians vs. Springboks @ Twickenham

The interesting thing about Scotland win for me was that the AB's had just totally thrashed the scots big time. Hard to imagine how the boks couldn't have pulled out a win against the same side.

Though I think a similar thing happened last year. SA lost to france then the AB's thrashed the same French side soon after.

That's because our wins are ALWAYS based on forward dominance and in both those cases we didn't get it.

Well, I think our loss was mainly caused because of horrible tackling by Kirchner and Stegmann. Those 2 caused 6 penalties, all gave them 3 points and the drop-goal is something you cannot do anything about. We manage to keep them from scoring a try, which is good defensively but the discipline is what cost us the game against the Scottish

Well, I think our loss was mainly caused because of horrible tackling by Kirchner and Stegmann. Those 2 caused 6 penalties, all gave them 3 points and the drop-goal is something you cannot do anything about. We manage to keep them from scoring a try, which is good defensively but the discipline is what cost us the game against the Scottish

That, and the fact that we didn't gain ascensdancy up front and that we didn't play to the conditions and were horrible at execution... and dare I mention some inaccuracy from the referee as well..

Don't mention the referee man. Before you know it the whole NH-member section is going to **** all over us again for complaining about the ref ;)

Truth be told we had some fortunate decisions going our way this tour. Against Scotland we were just awful and didn't deserve to win. This was due to lack of discipline, bad decision making by our captain (Can't wait for McLez to respond to this haha) and the lack of power in our backline. All in all Scotland deserved the win and I am happy we lost there so we could take it out on the English a week later ;)

That saves us a couple of awkward responses from the NH lads :D

All in all I have to admit I am happy with the results in the tour. Beating Ireland, Wales and England on tour with Daniel, Lambie, Alberts, Mvovo, Oosthuizen, Strauss (Andries and Adriaan), McLeod making their debut (although the Baa-baas match doesn't count officially) is very nice. Highlight for me were the tries by Alberts and Mvovo against England.

That saves us a couple of awkward responses from the NH lads :D

All in all I have to admit I am happy with the results in the tour. Beating Ireland, Wales and England on tour with Daniel, Lambie, Alberts, Mvovo, Oosthuizen, Strauss (Andries and Adriaan), McLeod making their debut (although the Baa-baas match doesn't count officially) is very nice. Highlight for me were the tries by Alberts and Mvovo against England.

Alberts and Mvovo certainly have shown that they have what it takes. The question is who whether they will make the regular 22. I certainly think Habana's time is done unless he has an AMAZING S15 which I doubt. In Mvovo and Basson we have very able replacements and JP and Aplon are the other options IMO.

Alberts needs to be on the bench at least. Question is, between Brusow, Smith and Burger, who will lose out. Each offers something different so it might depend on the opposition we face. Much as I hate to say it, Spies is and will be our no.8 come RWC.In Kanko, Vermeulen, Potgieter and FLouw we have very able depth in case of injury.

At scrumhalf both Pienaar and Hougaard were a mixed bag. Hougaard didn't has the accuracy he had in the 3N coming on for Januarie and got stood up by McLeod in the Baabaas game. All in all it is a battle for the spot on the bench, though as FdP will walk into the starting berth. The main concern is back-up for Steyn at 10. Lambie and Jantjes didn't take their chances but weren't afforded much chance, though. James? Pienaar? Grant even?

We know who our locks and front row starters are and have deoth there. Same with the centres, with JdV, JdJ, JF and F Steyn our leading options.

The one place where we are way behind most other countries is at fullback; Aplon has no boot, Steyn has a monster boot but doesn't seem to want to do anything else than kick and defend, Lambie is playing at 10, Kirschner is.. well.. I'm just not convinced. Other options at home that if they have good Super 15 seasons might get a look in or re-look in are Conrad Jantjes and Louis Ludik. Both solid options IMO.

Alberts has something special. I think you should consider dropping Burger since he is a player that lacks discipline, something that can cost us in a tournament. I just hope Stegmann is done for. He has shown no reason to be called up again. Smith and Alberts as flankers, Spies at 8 with Rossouw and Brussouw as a backup would do fine. Fourie du Preez is the best option as scrum half, no doubt. Ruan Pienaar has the advantage he is multi-functional and can play almost anywhere in the backline. Francois Hougaard however, can play on the wing. Tough choice. McLeod has the big advantage that he is a very versatile and running scrum-half. A real asset in my opinion if he develops a bit more. He is older than Pienaar and Hougaard though, that is what is holding me back of naming him as a serious option.

Januarie is a terrible scrum-half as we have all seen this year. I hope he won't be in the squad, seriously. When it comes to fly-half, I am stuck between 2 ideals. I talked to LordHope about it earlier today. A modern fly-half should have some running in him. Morne Steyn is basically a kicker, nothing more. A damn good kicker though, but with the game evolving the way it does, we need someone who can actually do more with a ball besides running. That's where Lambie comes in. Lambie is a very athletic player for his age but his kicking is not Springbok-material. In this year's Currie Cup he had a kicking-average of 68%. Not nearly good enough to act as a Springbok fly-half. If he can work on his kicking, it would be a serious candidate to replace Morne Steyn. I have seen him change over the season with the kicking being more aiming, less punting but he is not there yet. Pienaar would do better in kicking and runs as much as Lambie.

Centre is a position not worth aguing about. Fourie, de Villiers, de Jongh, Francois Steyn... All pretty damn good centres! Full-back I agree. Aplon is a winger, not a full-back. Jantjes and Ludik are good full-backs but need a chance. Ludik is only 24 now, Jantjes almost 30. I would call up both because Kirchner doesn't have it and we have no other options. Well, we can ask Terblanche but he is 36. That would just be stupid, no matter how good he truly is.

Nice, isn't it? haha. And all thanks to your fellow WP-supporter Intercept King JdV :D:D:D

That hand-off, man. Burger goes down like he has been shot

Steve Hofmeyr made an album dedicated to Lambie and Burger... Called Laaities & Ladies haha

it really is unbelievable that that happened. ive actually met burger and he is a giant.
next time burger plays against lambie i bet hes gonna break that kids spine.

by the way what sane person listens to steve hofmeyr.

My son is crazy about the cd Laaities & Ladies, otherwise I would have never actually thought of playing a cd of that man

No, because Lambie will just outrun him or push him off once again ;)

Latest posts