• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A great big Munster thread

Farrelly hasnt a clue what hes talking about. He has had Ross going everywhere, Botha going everywhere, Healip and Sexton to leave. He makes **** up.
He got Jamie Hagan moving to Leinster right when everybody else said he had a contract with Connacht. He got Munster's interest in Mike Ross spot on. Every journalist had pegged Heaslip and Sexton as looking elsewhere which they were doing. He seems to have news about Nathan Hines leaving spot on. He was right about Paul Warwick about a month before it was annouced that he's off to Stade Francais. Botha could be going anywhere- the Lions want him an Munster appear to have sounded him out. His info isn't too bad but I'm not a big fan of his opinion pieces.

Snoop tell me about Jack McGrath because he has been mentioned here just recently as a possibility with a NIQ experienced TH arriving after World Cup.

All that says is that Leinster would be disappointed if he leaves. That hardly an indication that he's staying. Obviously I hope he does stay and Munster look elsewhere for a tighthead prop.
More often then not these article come out just before the confirmation. (For example) they all went on like that just before Ansbro signed for Irish.
What's Tonga'huia up to?!
Looseheading, entirely!
Swap deal for Ronan O'Gara, Tomas O'Leary and Niall Ronan methinks.
I hate you.

Bullitt that simply says Ross would be happy to stay in Dublin and that is fair, after all it's there he has established himself for Irish team. And if he returns to Munster he is returning to home province so he has best of both choices.

He got Jamie Hagan moving to Leinster right when everybody else said he had a contract with Connacht. He got Munster's interest in Mike Ross spot on. Every journalist had pegged Heaslip and Sexton as looking elsewhere which they were doing. He seems to have news about Nathan Hines leaving spot on. He was right about Paul Warwick about a month before it was annouced that he's off to Stade Francais. Botha could be going anywhere- the Lions want him an Munster appear to have sounded him out. His info isn't too bad but I'm not a big fan of his opinion pieces.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Hes wrong more often then correct.

Hines to Stade was leaked from the French papers, he just picked up on that.
Hagan to Connacht was leaked through the channels and was up on the forums before the papers got it.
Every Journalist knew Healsip and Sexton were talking, he spoke as if they had gone.
No idea about Warwick but the one year contract was causing problems and everyone knew it.

A good example was the Ross thing. A month ago he said Both was going to Leinster and so Ross is heading to Munster. Then it became Hagan to Leinster so Ross would be heading to Munster. No quotes, no informed insider info, just pure soccer style speculation. The kind of rubbish you expect from a red tab.

I cant stand that nonsense.

@Bullitt
D'oh! To be honest even Ben Foden would be a better tighthead than the players Munster currently have.

@munstermuffin
McGrath is a good prospect. Very good work ethic around the park. He's improved a lot as a scrummager this season but still has a bit to go. He's more of a loosehead than tighthead. He's not a better option than Darragh Hurley, Wian Du Preez or Marcus Horan at this point but could be a very useful player 12-18 months from now.

@Logorrhea
Why am I being drawn into defending Hugh Farrelly?! 12 months ago I would have agreed with you but he's getting decent info now. Hagan and Warwick were based on Farrelly's stories- that's two good scoops. It was actually Gerry Thornley ( a complete bullshitter) who first said Heaslip and Sexton were definitely off. Botha to Munster, Lions or Leinster was his story- that still hasn't been resolved. Ross interesting Munster is true and unrelated to the Botha story. No bullshit there. How can he quote somebody when he's been passed on inside information? It would result in his source being compromised and no further info coming from them.

The Irish Indo is also saying today that Mike Ross is unlikely to move to Munster but BJ Botha may be open to a move if the money is right. Ulster suffering instead of Leinster would be fine by me!

Word on the street is he isn't being offered a new contract. Ulster reckon they've got enough props and would rather use that NIQ slot for the latest in full-back technology. I'm not sure they're right, I'd have rather held onto him a little longer, but its their decision not mine. Good news for Ireland at least though.

Tom Court to tighthead then I assume because the other option Declan Fitzpatrick isn't much use. I think it's a mistake. Ulster have a tighthead who gives them a solid scrum. Why get rid of him and take the chance that the scrum will falter? From an Irish perspective it would be great if Tom Court could do a decent job at 3. He's improved a lot as a player since Matt Williams took over as Ulster coach 3 seasons ago.

Tom Court to tighthead then I assume because the other option Declan Fitzpatrick isn't much use. I think it's a mistake. Ulster have a tighthead who gives them a solid scrum. Why get rid of him and take the chance that the scrum will falter? From an Irish perspective it would be great if Tom Court could do a decent job at 3. He's improved a lot as a player since Matt Williams took over as Ulster coach 3 seasons ago.

Don't agree with you on Deccie Fitz. And neither do most of the Ulster fans I know. There's rarely any let up in our scrums when he comes on for Botha and carries reasonably well when on the ball. Could use losing some puppy fat. I would be happy enough to see him and Court compete for the 3 shirt although neither's Botha. The problem is one of the other side we have Bryan Young who's been in serious problems all season and Paddy McAllister, who does look the real but is still very raw... I'd rather keep things the way they are too.

Slightly off the topic Snoop but I hear IF Ross stays IRFU want Wright (out of contract) to go in Summer along with Berne to be moved on too

Have Munster taken any steps to ensure the current mess won't happen in the future? There should be no shortage of quality props around Munster. I think part of the problem is smaller props might be overlooked sometimes. Munster usually go for tightheads that are over 6'3".

Munster have taken big strides to make sure this won't happen in future but it'll be 3/4 years before 1st wave come through

Slightly off the topic Snoop but I hear IF Ross stays IRFU want Wright (out of contract) to go in Summer along with Berne to be moved on too
Both of these are contracted to Leinster, NOT the IRFU. Leinster arent overly burdened with NIQers so I dont see anyone making an issue of them staying on. Berne has been injured a lot so there is a question of value, but thats nothing to do with Ross staying or going.

Stan Wright to Munster then..............

I wouldn't be displeased if Leinster kept Ross and saw Wright move on. Wright is an excellent loosehead but no more than competent at tighthead. With Healy, van der Merwe under contract, Leinster have no need for Wright at 1 and Ross, Hagan and Shawe would be more than good enough at 3. Stan Wright could fall victim to a numbers game- too many players in his position and too high a salary for the amount of gametime he'd see.

No I not saying he Munster bound just that he is rumoured to be on way out but I suppose this saga will run until April at least.
And Logorrhea, yes they're contracted to Leinster, who get their money and are controlled by IRFU as are rest of provinces.
But having thought about it Snoop I agree with you and if Ross were to stay with Leinster I couldn't blame him. If he return here he'll have pressure of been saviour of our scrum when reality is we need 8 guys doing it not just 1 and I personally believe Paul McCarthy needs to go

The only reason I can see for Ross moving to Munster would be because he's from there (good reason as it is). He'll get the same money at Leinster as he would at Munster and, without wishing to be blunt, has more of a chance of winning trophies at Leinster at the moment. Since moving to Leinster he's become an international first choice 3 (his two garbage caps against the USA and Canada don't really count- Niall O'Connor was on the bench then FFS). I'd be delighted if he stays.

I was just taking the **** about Stan Wright moving to Munster but he's a better option than any of Hayes, Buckley, Borlase and Archer. He'd improve the team without being a dominant scrummager.

I agree Snoop with your comments regarding Ross as we are in a transistion period and well need 2 years to do it. But I presume as you say Leinster don't particularly need Wright and Berne and therefore free up NIQ spots for areas such as Lock, I think maybe another back to as crazy as it sounds but between internationals and age - BOD D'Arcy and Horgan will have to be used sparingly. They will also consider a 10 I presume for fact Sexton will be away up to 4 months in total between rest/recovery and games with ireland

Latest posts