• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A great big Munster thread

Our issue is in the backs and just getting the right ideas. That is where I think Joey is key.

Eh?

Its never about one player. If that is the thought train within the setup, its hardly surprising that the end product doesn't look good - or work!

Munster's passing and ball handling were never the best. Its something that seems to be endemic down there. Only Rob Penney managed to do something about it and sure they got shot of him.

Even with the liginds, fingers went over the eyes when the ball went beyond Radge. Sometimes it worked well. Other times not so much.

Who is in charge of skills and the backs? The amount of passes that go to where the man is, rather than where the man wants to be is shocking.

Yup, skills have never been too important in Munster. We've a 33 year old scrum half who can't pass or kick the ball. And amazingly he is still starting regularly! Passing behind players, over their heads, on the ground. He stands around at rucks taking ages to do something. A chess player would make decisions faster.

Yup, skills have never been too important in Munster. We've a 33 year old scrum half who can't pass or kick the ball. And amazingly he is still starting regularly! Passing behind players, over their heads, on the ground. He stands around at rucks taking ages to do something. A chess player would make decisions faster.

Ah, wouldn't say skills aren't important.

Its more, it was the forward pack that was a finely honed instrument.

Be it lineout, maul or ruck (which involve skills that need a lot of working on to get consistently right against the best), the Munster pack has pretty much always been respected across Europe since the Liginds - but the back play... erm. Lesser said the better.

The old adage, "forwards win matches, backs decide by how much" would almost appear to be the institutional thought train of Munster. "Sure what do we need them for? We're gonna win it playing a 10 man game anyway."

Even back in the day, an **expansive** Munster move would consist of Radge passing flat to big Trevor Halstead who'd crash her up with Quinny and Wally clearing the ruck out, for Strings to fire back inside to Leamy on the 2nd phase!

Eh?

Its never about one player. If that is the thought train within the setup, its hardly surprising that the end product doesn't look good - or work!
Nobody ever said it was about 1 player. But he is a very skilful player who can execute the moves. Keatley was more a direct 10. We loose a bit of tactical kickinh with Joey. But that is part of why he is here to improve that side. But we have gained alot more skill in Joey.

Saw this in the Examiner and though it was fairly interesting:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/break...-of-2008-max-out-on-their-talents-872112.html
Munster hero Donncha O'Callaghan celebrated the 10-year anniversary of the province's second Heineken Cup success at a gala function in New York this week — and found himself wondering whether that storied side actually got the best out of themselves.
Had never thought about it before now but he's right. Winning the European Cup competition twice in a three year spell was an outstanding achievement by the players and coaching staff. Their pack was phenomenal. They probably should have won another in 2009 when they were easily the best team in the competition but were blindsided by Leinster in the semi final and arguably should have a couple more in 2000 and 2004.

Any thoughts from Munster fans?

Had never thought about it before now but he's right. Winning the European Cup competition twice in a three year spell was an outstanding achievement by the players and coaching staff. Their pack was phenomenal. They probably should have won another in 2009 when they were easily the best team in the competition but were blindsided by Leinster in the semi final and arguably should have a couple more in 2000 and 2004.

100% correct should have beaten Leicester in 2002, Wasps in 2004 too. Had we got to the final in 04 I feel we would have won. Think that shows how remarkable Leinster have done recently to stay motivated and hungry. Key thing we never did but ye have done is keep squad turning over when winning.

I'd say it's because they were less professional than other teams and the semi finals being a lottery.

Munster in the early 2000s were still a bit amateur. Players going for pints after matches etc. Whenever they speak about are time it sounds like they'd great craic!

Whenever the semi finals were drawn, Munster usually ended up away. The statistics show that the home team has a much greater chance of winning. One time when Munster did get a home semi it was against Leinster in Dublin! Having a draw for it was a really cr@p idea.

Also some of the matches lost were unlucky. Very tight in many cases.

That generation of players had to transition from the very amateur Irish rugby to being up with the most professional sides in the world.

Lads how is Tadhg Beirne getting on? Haven't heard too much about him with all the talk about Joey

Lads how is Tadhg Beirne getting on? Haven't heard too much about him with all the talk about Joey
Going fine, had a few ****les and a bug so has had a disrupted preseason and start but still very early days for him. But no fears of him in training. Just I feel he will take a few weeks to knit his game with our game. Has a superb leap in the lineout though. Something I didn't previously know until I seen him in training.

That's brilliant news for Ireland and Munster. Best Irish scrumhalf I've ever seen by quite some distance. Brilliant player. Hopefully it's also a sign that his neck injury isn't too serious.

I won't lie it's a relief. I thought his head might be turned but it's a big win for ireland to get this deal through free of speculation and media coverage. I've come to really despise silly season around contracts.

Yay. That'll put an end to all the baseless speculation that's been floating around. Perfect solution for all parties really. Probably means his injury isn't really really bad as well.

That's brilliant news for Ireland and Munster. Best Irish scrumhalf I've ever seen by quite some distance. Brilliant player. Hopefully it's also a sign that his neck injury isn't too serious.
Neck isn't issue despite reports. Hopefully he is back in Europe very soon. Not this week but we will learn more the weekend.
Deserved his new deal. But he was never a flight risk. He has said it many times that life in Ireland as a pro is very compatible with his lifestyle.

Neck isn't issue despite reports. Hopefully he is back in Europe very soon. Not this week but we will learn more the weekend.
Deserved his new deal. But he was never a flight risk. He has said it many times that life in Ireland as a pro is very compatible with his lifestyle.
Great to see him stay. Thought he might like to move to one of the Paris clubs to be within spitting distance of Simon Zebo

Not content with Jeremy Loughman, Tadhg Beirne, Conor Oliver, James Hart, Ian Keatley, Joey Carbery and Andrew Conway, now it appears you're taking Nick McCarthy too!

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/ru...-munster-as-conor-murray-understudy-1.3666874

Good move for him if it happens. He won't push ahead of Luke McGrath or Jamison Gibson Park at Leinster and has a shot at being backup to Conor Murray at Munster instead.

Not content with Jeremy Loughman, Tadhg Beirne, Conor Oliver, James Hart, Ian Keatley, Joey Carbery and Andrew Conway, now it appears you're taking Nick McCarthy too!

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/ru...-munster-as-conor-murray-understudy-1.3666874

Good move for him if it happens. He won't push ahead of Luke McGrath or Jamison Gibson Park at Leinster and has a shot at being backup to Conor Murray at Munster instead.
In fairness. Tadgh Beirne is no more a Leinster product. As he would say himself he is a Scarlet tuned man.
On McCarthy he's a good player but this isn't doing rounds down here. It may be true but haven't heard.

I don't want to lose him but that's fair enough. He's got potential but the JGP/Lowe/Fardy nonsense that's been buying him gametime is going to go away when Gibson-Park qualifies for Ireland next season (making it one of the most significant residency qualifications even if he never gets an Irish cap - which he probably won't) and he could easily get overtaken by Hugh O'Sullivan or one of the other talented SHs in the academy. He's smart to see which way the wind is blowing. He'll have a chance to be backup to Murray at Munster. Good move for everyone if it happens.

Latest posts