• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A great big Munster thread

In fairness. Tadgh Beirne is no more a Leinster product. As he would say himself he is a Scarlet tuned man.

Very true. But, y'know, how many goys who talk loike there's just back from a porty a Ross' gaff does it take before it storts to, y'know, dilute the whole atmosphere of the place, loike?

Very true. But, y'know, how many goys who talk loike there's just back from a porty a Ross' gaff does it take before it storts to, y'know, dilute the whole atmosphere of the place, loike?
Well the Dub accent is well flushed out here by Saffas.

Interesting for Saturday. Our North terrace is looking like it will be shut due to works

Munster are in danger of doing what we did with Pienaar.

Kept Paul Marshall (aka Duncan Williams) around as an acknowledged understudy too long - good enough to block the kids* but never good enough to kick on.

*which stopped the kids getting gametime needed to develop beyond his limitations. We had various youngsters come in, do an all right job, hit a bit of a wobbly half in a game then be dropped for Marshall. Hard to prove yourself at that level if your only given 3 or 4 halves of 2/3 games to do it - and only go wrong in one or two of them!

I dunno - Duncan Williams might play like the love child of George Gregan and Fourie du Preez in training - but in matches he is brutal. Even last week - folks are saying it was his best game ever - he was just about passable. He simply cannot give cadence to a forward pack at all, and his ability to slow down quick (Munster) ball is astonishingly bad in the 22.

Last edited:
To be fair Duncan was behind Neil Cronin until Neil got injures and well James hasn't played well. It's not a case of Duncan stopping lads.

And last week if you think he wasn't great you must not have watched the game. As someone who was their on line it was brutal conditions and he executed alot perfect as well as defensively being excellent

I've no qualms with Nick McCarthy making the right decision for his career which this undoubtedly is. He's a good signing for Munster too as he's better than their options beyond Conor Murray (not including Alby Mathewson).

Serious question though, is there really nobody in Munster better than Nick McCarthy? Nothing against the player but he's hardly in the same class as, say, Tadhg Beirne, Joey Carbery or Andrew Conway. I'd hope serious questions are being asked about Munster's development of players if they're signing backup squad players instead of homegrown talent.

As said previously, I've nothing at all against Nick McCarthy and this isn't having a go at him as a player. It would be great if he kicked on and developed as a potential international in Munster.

And last week if you think he wasn't great you must not have watched the game. As someone who was their on line it was brutal conditions and he executed alot perfect as well as defensively being excellent

I got it on a crappy stream.

His box kicking was all right given the gale, but as usual, his timing around the ruck is awful.

When forwards are looping around - you get the ball out and in front enough to be in their ideal acceleration (from a running start) from their initial run around the corner. Not forcing them to stop, take a step back, then run from a standing start. He is utterly brutal in this facet of the game - and for a team like Munster which rely so heavily on their close in carrying, its a real killer for momentum.

When it comes to getting quick ball out to the out-half - time him on the calendar.

I've no qualms with Nick McCarthy making the right decision for his career which this undoubtedly is. He's a good signing for Munster too as he's better than their options beyond Conor Murray (not including Alby Mathewson).

Serious question though, is there really nobody in Munster better than Nick McCarthy? Nothing against the player but he's hardly in the same class as, say, Tadhg Beirne, Joey Carbery or Andrew Conway. I'd hope serious questions are being asked about Munster's development of players if they're signing backup squad players instead of homegrown talent.

As said previously, I've nothing at all against Nick McCarthy and this isn't having a go at him as a player. It would be great if he kicked on and developed as a potential international in Munster.

He might not be great but he's a big upgrade on Williams. McCarthy's main problem from what I see is he can't kick the ball. Hugh O'Sullivan looks a good talent for Leinster so they won't be too bothered about losing NmC.

Neil Cronin has looked impressive and just signed a new 2 year contract extension. He is comfortably better than Hart and Williams from what I've seen.

@profitius
I agree fully. James Hart and Duncan Williams could be let go at the end of the season and Neil Cronin has looked very sharp in limited action.

What I'm trying to say is it should be possible for each academy to produce players at least on a par with Nick McCarthy. That Munster are looking to Leinster for a sub scrumhalf says a lot. It goes in cycles. 10/12 years ago, Leinster went to Munster for backups in Stephen Keogh and Trevor Hogan. Again, I have a lot of time for those two players but Leinster got there act together and produced from within. Munster should aim to do the same and not accept anything less.

Personally I would have preferred to have seen a year of Cronin and Jack Stafford before signing McCarthy, but it's also very low risk for us. Just because he's been signed doesn't mean he gets a game above our two academy 20 year olds and Cronin. I see him as slightly premature insurance who will do a solid enough job if called upon.
We should see plenty of Cronin and Stafford this year and if they're good enough then we will have a solution to Duncan Williams at last. Sadly though beyond that we can't magic up a backup and Munster is doing what they can to keep the squad depth up.
Both Williams and Harte are out of contract this year, and this signing along with Cronin's extension tell me we're at least trying to turn a corner at the position.

Simple fact snoop is our school system has gone poor. Leinster schools has developed in to a top top competition. It is only natural. Years ago when it was the other way round, obviously not in same drives, Trevor Hogan, Brian O Meara etc went to ye.

But now our schools is poor and yes we are not producing much but the issue is well before they get to academy level.
Limerick rugby has gone back along way

Nope if he is to move it will 100% be New York or London next. And I will be shocked if he is here after this new contract ends
You think? New contract ends a year before 2023 World Cup - surely the most likely option is a 1-year extension at some point to take him through to after the World Cup?

Limerick rugby has gone back along way
Had never really noticed this but you're dead right, Limerick isn't producing either the quality or quantity of players it once did for Munster. There were more Kildare men (Tadhg Beirne and Joey Carbery) in the Munster team that beat Gloucester last week than there were Limerick men (Dan Goggin). That's a shocking statistic. Could it be in part due to the fact that Limerick hurling is strengthening?

At least Cork is still producing in decent numbers.

Had never really noticed this but you're dead right, Limerick isn't producing either the quality or quantity of players it once did for Munster. There were more Kildare men (Tadhg Beirne and Joey Carbery) in the Munster team that beat Gloucester last week than there were Limerick men (Dan Goggin). That's a shocking statistic. Could it be in part due to the fact that Limerick hurling is strengthening?

At least Cork is still producing in decent numbers.
Yes hurling but look at schools in Munster. Munchins has regressed, Castletroy and Ard Scoil Ris are trying but still Cork schools more efficient.
As I said it is all linked but where the exact fault is is hard to pinpoint.
Now on stat you mentioned. Tommy was moulded in Limerick like all his development was here but again that scraping. Overall we don't have many Limerick like before and this is a long-term issue that needs to sttack more grasroots. Or else we will be just lurking Leinster schools etc for large amounts. And that is not good overall either

Speak the queens English you bloody forner. Brexit means Brexit.

Not sure why Van Graan would want to leave a job he's probably better payed doing, with a better team to coach in SA where he can't even have ambitions towards the national team having added zero to his CV so far at Munster. Also not sure why the Bulls would go to the trouble of pursuing such an unproven coach so hard while he's in contract.
Rassie Erasmus he is not.

Latest posts