A great big Munster thread

Discussion in 'Guinness Pro14' started by snoopy snoopy dog dog, Jan 17, 2011.

1. munstermuffin

munstermuffin Senior Member

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

I 100% agree.
    But it has been assessed and believe it or not a sell out in Thomond Park is worth a lot more to IRFU than PUC. There was a study done and after you factor in rent, loss of corporate package and bars income outside you earn in region of €300k-400K less.
    That was before you consider any other items.

For European Semi you also would need to put in seats in the terraces of PUC as there is a requirement for 25k seats. So renting these and putting them in as well as the above mentioned plus the IRFU would loose out on rent.
    It does sound good and I was 100% in favour of it (and used to be one of the "IRFU only want it all in Dublin") but when you do the maths which I'm surprised Donal didn't mention you'd be aiming to create a carnival atmosphere at a substantial loss.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. munstermuffin

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

Yes but IRFU are Munster so they get the rent.
    Yes it would be nice to have a semi in Cork but well as you say it'd be at a cost to Munster income.

Like as mad as it sounds we are happier going to Edinburgh over even Thomond Park.
    From my view as a physio, We have much better facilities, prep work for lads before warm ups, and set up in general.
    Regarding the GAA grounds none of these facilities are available and logistically it can be a bit of a nightmare. And logistically I don't mean travel but just general set up etc.

4. snoopy snoopy dog dog

snoopy snoopy dog dog Senior Member

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Any thoughts on how the Munster contingent played in the u20s game against England this weekend? I ask in part because there's a report in one of the Sunday papers that Munster are on track to lose €1.6m this year. If that's the case, they'll need to dump some big wage players who aren't performing well enough and promote some youth.

Jake Flannery looked very accomplished at fullback. He had lots of time on the ball, carried, kicked and distributed well. Reminded me a lot of another converted flyhalf Paul Warwick, a player who I rated highly. He has a bright future.

The other Munster player who stood out was John Hodnett, following on from Jack O'Sullivan last year. He's all action, seems a strong carrier and showed for work constantly. Jordi Murphy is the player comparison that comes to mind.

5. munstermuffin

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

A few trimmed already but losses are down to other factors and gap closes as we speak due to Vodafone link, cuts to squad and other projects off the field generating now.

6. sugary tae

sugary tae Junior Member

Are we looking at a Vodafone park

Some of our u20 impressed on Friday night especially hodnett and flannery.

Long term we need to produce more young lad from a financial point of view but we look to be moving in the right direction there

7. munstermuffin

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

Not Vodadone park but expect alot of marketing drive between the 2 brands

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!