• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A great big Munster thread

Absolutely agree. If Munster got to a semi final in Europe the IRFU would want the stadium rental fee from EPCR. As stakeholders in EPCR, they'd get it.

The reason a game against Leinster in Pairc Uí Chaoimh could be a runner is because Munster won't want to play a home Pro 14 game in Dublin against their biggest rivals. If a game in PUC can make Munster more money than a game in Thomond Park, Munster should look into the possibility. I've no idea if it would or not. For example, Leinster need to clear 30000 fans in the Aviva Stadium in order to make more than a full house in the RDS.
I 100% agree.
But it has been assessed and believe it or not a sell out in Thomond Park is worth a lot more to IRFU than PUC. There was a study done and after you factor in rent, loss of corporate package and bars income outside you earn in region of €300k-400K less.
That was before you consider any other items.

For European Semi you also would need to put in seats in the terraces of PUC as there is a requirement for 25k seats. So renting these and putting them in as well as the above mentioned plus the IRFU would loose out on rent.
It does sound good and I was 100% in favour of it (and used to be one of the "IRFU only want it all in Dublin") but when you do the maths which I'm surprised Donal didn't mention you'd be aiming to create a carnival atmosphere at a substantial loss.

Semi final receipts go to champions cup doesn't it with the teams paid a fee and stadium paid rent? Depends then on how much irfu charges doesn't it? Catch 22 for Munster. They have a. Very poor record in the aviva while a cork game would be attractive considering how many will travel to Edinburgh (myself included). However money info irfu coffers comes straight down the line to Munster in terms of wages etc.

I think it's all a show to be honest. Sarries will beat Glasgow
Yes but IRFU are Munster so they get the rent.
Yes it would be nice to have a semi in Cork but well as you say it'd be at a cost to Munster income.

Like as mad as it sounds we are happier going to Edinburgh over even Thomond Park.
From my view as a physio, We have much better facilities, prep work for lads before warm ups, and set up in general.
Regarding the GAA grounds none of these facilities are available and logistically it can be a bit of a nightmare. And logistically I don't mean travel but just general set up etc.

Any thoughts on how the Munster contingent played in the u20s game against England this weekend? I ask in part because there's a report in one of the Sunday papers that Munster are on track to lose €1.6m this year. If that's the case, they'll need to dump some big wage players who aren't performing well enough and promote some youth.

Jake Flannery looked very accomplished at fullback. He had lots of time on the ball, carried, kicked and distributed well. Reminded me a lot of another converted flyhalf Paul Warwick, a player who I rated highly. He has a bright future.

The other Munster player who stood out was John Hodnett, following on from Jack O'Sullivan last year. He's all action, seems a strong carrier and showed for work constantly. Jordi Murphy is the player comparison that comes to mind.

Any thoughts on how the Munster contingent played in the u20s game against England this weekend? I ask in part because there's a report in one of the Sunday papers that Munster are on track to lose €1.6m this year. If that's the case, they'll need to dump some big wage players who aren't performing well enough and promote some youth.

Jake Flannery looked very accomplished at fullback. He had lots of time on the ball, carried, kicked and distributed well. Reminded me a lot of another converted flyhalf Paul Warwick, a player who I rated highly. He has a bright future.

The other Munster player who stood out was John Hodnett, following on from Jack O'Sullivan last year. He's all action, seems a strong carrier and showed for work constantly. Jordi Murphy is the player comparison that comes to mind.
A few trimmed already but losses are down to other factors and gap closes as we speak due to Vodafone link, cuts to squad and other projects off the field generating now.

Are we looking at a Vodafone park

Some of our u20 impressed on Friday night especially hodnett and flannery.

Long term we need to produce more young lad from a financial point of view but we look to be moving in the right direction there

Are we looking at a Vodafone park

Some of our u20 impressed on Friday night especially hodnett and flannery.

Long term we need to produce more young lad from a financial point of view but we look to be moving in the right direction there
Not Vodadone park but expect alot of marketing drive between the 2 brands

Van Graan extends Munster deal by a further two years
https://www.the42.ie/johann-van-graan-4581498-Apr2019/

While I remain unconvinced by Johann van Graan as a head coach, Munster need stability so it's to be welcomed that he's remaining until 2022. He speaks exceptionally well and I presume he's a good motivator but he needs more help in getting the back line firing. The squad is good enough to challenge for trophies.

Van Graan extends Munster deal by a further two years
https://www.the42.ie/johann-van-graan-4581498-Apr2019/

While I remain unconvinced by Johann van Graan as a head coach, Munster need stability so it's to be welcomed that he's remaining until 2022. He speaks exceptionally well and I presume he's a good motivator but he needs more help in getting the back line firing. The squad is good enough to challenge for trophies.
I feel the same on Van Graan. I have no doubt about his positive intentions and he really knows what he needs to say to win Munster support over but at the same time with a squad as talented as we have silverware needs to be an imperative. Munster have leaned on being in transition with regards their squad and coaching as an easy out for too long a time so I'm glad we will have a guy in place who can be accountable and now has in depth knowledge of our squad. With all respect to Felix Jones we need to bring in someone with outside experience above him maybe to get our back line going. When we can't bully the life out of another team with our pack our backs looks really uncomfortable and unable to make the gain line often.

Yeah, I think at this point Munster and Felix Jones are both better off parting ways.

FJ needs to broaden his horizons and add some experience from further afield - dunno what his home situation is like - but getting away to Australia or NZ for 12 months would do him a world of good.

Munster need not just someone to come in and instruct pretty weaved patterns for the backs - but also raise the precision of passing. The technicals of Munster's passing has been shocking for far too long and its that problem which is stunting many of their backline moves before it can really get going.

Yeah, I think at this point Munster and Felix Jones are both better off parting ways.

FJ needs to broaden his horizons and add some experience from further afield - dunno what his home situation is like - but getting away to Australia or NZ for 12 months would do him a world of good.

Munster need not just someone to come in and instruct pretty weaved patterns for the backs - but also raise the precision of passing. The technicals of Munster's passing has been shocking for far too long and its that problem which is stunting many of their backline moves before it can really get going.
There is another coach 95% signed up. Possible of more too

For Jones' own sake I think he would really benefit from coaching abroad and improving the CV a bit. He went from a guy getting his start in coaching into a de facto backs coach almost by default. I have no doubt he has a very high rugby IQ and a future in the sport but it's been proven that it's our pack that makes us a perennial semi final team. We need functioning backs to have silverware quality. That said if Jones is left to apprentice to a more experienced outside hire I would be happy with that too.

For Jones' own sake I think he would really benefit from coaching abroad and improving the CV a bit. He went from a guy getting his start in coaching into a de facto backs coach almost by default. I have no doubt he has a very high rugby IQ and a future in the sport but it's been proven that it's our pack that makes us a perennial semi final team. We need functioning backs to have silverware quality. That said if Jones is left to apprentice to a more experienced outside hire I would be happy with that too.
But note their roles. There alot on his workload for a rookie. Not sure if Felix will be still around. All indicators are he is in talks but Fla is seen as more important. An attacking/back coach and a seperate skills coach are being sought

But note their roles. There alot on his workload for a rookie. Not sure if Felix will be still around. All indicators are he is in talks but Fla is seen as more important. An attacking/back coach and a seperate skills coach are being sought

That's all positive news. At least they're addressing some of the attacking issues that we all can see. Currently we're more than capable of hosing an average team but we don't look inventive at the very top level. If sarries for example start scoring loads of tries we're bunched coz I can see us tearing them apart.
Hard to tell if that's all on Felix. Munster supporters tend to be cruel to our coaches when often it's a personnel issue. We probably lack a second passing option between 12 and 15.
I'd be very positive about jvg staying. We badly need stability and long term planning. Besides there looks to be some decent young gun en route so I'd hope to see them integrated successfully in a stable environment.

Interesting to hear in jvgs interview that there are more signings en route.
What positions I wonder.

That's all positive news. At least they're addressing some of the attacking issues that we all can see. Currently we're more than capable of hosing an average team but we don't look inventive at the very top level. If sarries for example start scoring loads of tries we're bunched coz I can see us tearing them apart.
Hard to tell if that's all on Felix. Munster supporters tend to be cruel to our coaches when often it's a personnel issue. We probably lack a second passing option between 12 and 15.
I'd be very positive about jvg staying. We badly need stability and long term planning. Besides there looks to be some decent young gun en route so I'd hope to see them integrated successfully in a stable environment.

Interesting to hear in jvgs interview that there are more signings en route.
What positions I wonder.
Alot leaving too which will be announced after Easter. Just finalising last bits is what I hear in corridors here

Fair enough. The recruitment has been good under jvg. Beirne carbery Botha alby have all arrived fit and functioned well
Yes but wouldn't expect too many more as I expect our 20s lads and Nick McCarthy will be all. Johann is a huge fan of the younger lads and seeing how some younger lads have taken their chances he is more happier risking them. Alot of lads on exit way are guys who probably are at stage where they won't hit the heights they thought were possible

Honestly we have very few holes to fill on this team that couldn't be filled by our academy or fringe players. I regret signing a guy like McCarthy more and more because let's face it a guy who didn't make the cut in Leinster at 9 won't make the cut here either. The vast majority of VG's signings have been top notch though it must be said. Time to thin down the squad now and leave space for a hugely talented group of Munster under 20s to get their shot.

Honestly we have very few holes to fill on this team that couldn't be filled by our academy or fringe players. I regret signing a guy like McCarthy more and more because let's face it a guy who didn't make the cut in Leinster at 9 won't make the cut here either. The vast majority of VG's signings have been top notch though it must be said. Time to thin down the squad now and leave space for a hugely talented group of Munster under 20s to get their shot.
Yes but the Nick McCarthy signing is to be #2, And have Neil Cronin there as well as Casey (who is possibly not available for first few months) hence Alby sticking on mixed with RWC and any injury.

Yes but wouldn't expect too many more as I expect our 20s lads and Nick McCarthy will be all. Johann is a huge fan of the younger lads and seeing how some younger lads have taken their chances he is more happier risking them. Alot of lads on exit way are guys who probably are at stage where they won't hit the heights they thought were possible
Ithibj id be happy with that but I've beeb disappointed that Coombes and Wycherley haven't gotten more gametime so far. Did I see Coombes playing in the row over in Boston? Nash I'm not sure about and Johnson is in a difficult queue tbh. I'd def like to be chatting at this stage next year with hodnett Casey French Wycherley and maybe Healy blooded

Ithibj id be happy with that but I've beeb disappointed that Coombes and Wycherley haven't gotten more gametime so far. Did I see Coombes playing in the row over in Boston? Nash I'm not sure about and Johnson is in a difficult queue tbh. I'd def like to be chatting at this stage next year with hodnett Casey French Wycherley and maybe Healy blooded
Yes Coombes was tested there in A games. But all these guys will get chances people have to remember Johann is really just settling now and does believe in the youth

Latest posts