• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A great big Munster thread

On the subject of the reported Leinster interest in Craig Casey, perhaps it'll give Munster the impetus to promote him to 2nd choice.

That leaves a conundrum, what to do with Alby Mathewson? There's no question, he's been a really good signing for Munster but could be squuezed out by Casey and the signing of Nick McCarthy. The IRFU would be loathe to lose him. A move to Ulster could be great for all concerned. Munster keep the homegrown Craig Casey and ease the backlog at 9, Mathewson improves the Ulster squad and means they can rotate John Cooney in and out more often.

If I'm involved with Ulster, I'm making a play for both Mathewson and one of Tyler Bleyendaal or Bill Johnston. Either of those flyhalves could start for Ulster.

Disappointed to hear that Flannery is leaving, I wasn't expecting that one. He's done a great job in recent years. Some change was definitely needed for Munster to push on to the next level, but you'd prefer to keep some level of consistency also so we don't end up starting from scratch. Which is why I was pleased with Van Graan extending his contract.

If I'm involved with Ulster, I'm making a play for both Mathewson and one of Tyler Bleyendaal or Bill Johnston. Either of those flyhalves could start for Ulster.

Mathewson yes - I'd have him up the road in a heartbeat.

The other two no - neither are a significant enough advance on what we have.

As I said in transfer rumours - there is a rumour that Christian Lealiifano might be coming back:

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/st...o-leave-lealiifano-weighs-up-brumbies-future/

With young very promising Irish 10s in Connacht, Leinster & Munster; and 10 being the biggest problem in our squad, I could easily see the IRFU allowing an NIQ in that position.

Although, would they allow us two NIQs in our half backs? If I were them I wouldn't - and if I had to select one, it'd be Lealiifano.

Flannery will definitely be a loss, but from a development point of view I think the O'Gara model is definitely the one to follow for young coaches.
Jones wasn't as successful as Fla, but a guy hired as a skills assistant shouldn't be burdened with the entire backs coaching. Not sure if this is the case, but he is the one being hung for our dreadful attack. Really hope we bring in someone who can revolutionise our backs, and I'm certain it will take time. A guy like Rob Penney wasn't received well on his first visit, but that's the kind of person we need.

On the subject of the reported Leinster interest in Craig Casey, perhaps it'll give Munster the impetus to promote him to 2nd choice.

That leaves a conundrum, what to do with Alby Mathewson? There's no question, he's been a really good signing for Munster but could be squuezed out by Casey and the signing of Nick McCarthy. The IRFU would be loathe to lose him. A move to Ulster could be great for all concerned. Munster keep the homegrown Craig Casey and ease the backlog at 9, Mathewson improves the Ulster squad and means they can rotate John Cooney in and out more often.

But Alby is only here until October when he has been told he will be moved on.

Yeah by all accounts Alby is a stopgap who got a few extensions. Phenomenal player I would love to see stay in Ireland though. Looks like a leader.

Yeah by all accounts Alby is a stopgap who got a few extensions. Phenomenal player I would love to see stay in Ireland though. Looks like a leader.
He nearly has a new deal signed with his next stop. But I think myself that may be closer to Aus than here.

Shouldn't have signed McCarthy, everyone is better off with him at Leinster.

Not convinced Johnstone moving to Ulster is in anyone's interests either, I've used him as a stick to beat Munster with but I genuinely think he's better off staying where he is and he isn't enough of an upgrade on what Ulster have got already. I do think he has a future with Munster and if he's as good as hoped JJ/Bleyendaal can only keep him out for so long once he gets an injury free run.

Shouldn't have signed McCarthy, everyone is better off with him at Leinster.

Not convinced Johnstone moving to Ulster is in anyone's interests either, I've used him as a stick to beat Munster with but I genuinely think he's better off staying where he is and he isn't enough of an upgrade on what Ulster have got already. I do think he has a future with Munster and if he's as good as hoped JJ/Bleyendaal can only keep him out for so long once he gets an injury free run.
McCarthy is possibly 2nd choice next season as opposed to 3rd or 4th at Leinster. Not sure how that equals being better off for him

Article by Brendan Fanning in the Sunday Independent says Rob Howley and an unnamed Premiership coach are people of interest for Munster with regards the attack coach role. No link online. Any idea who it might be?

Pure speculation from me based on tries scored charts and how they need to evolve their game; Nick Evans or Mark Mapletoft from Quins, Tim Taylor from Gloucester or Bruce Reihana from Bristol. I'd place Mapletoft as the favourite based on the fact that the IRFU tend to go for candidates who have experience in other nations international setups (albeit Mapletoft was about a decade ago at England u20 level) and he's a good bit older than Felix Jones. There was no chance of Jones being kept on if he was demoted behind a coach who's just as inexperienced as he is.

Same article is fairly damning of the lack of progress in attack made since the departure of Rob Penney.

Article by Brendan Fanning in the Sunday Independent says Rob Howley and an unnamed Premiership coach are people of interest for Munster with regards the attack coach role. No link online. Any idea who it might be?

Pure speculation from me based on tries scored charts and how they need to evolve their game; Nick Evans or Mark Mapletoft from Quins, Tim Taylor from Gloucester or Bruce Reihana from Bristol. I'd place Mapletoft as the favourite based on the fact that the IRFU tend to go for candidates who have experience in other nations international setups (albeit Mapletoft was about a decade ago at England u20 level) and he's a good bit older than Felix Jones. There was no chance of Jones being kept on if he was demoted behind a coach who's just as inexperienced as he is.

Same article is fairly damning of the lack of progress in attack made since the departure of Rob Penney.
Stephen Larkham is the name doing rounds around base. Wouldn't read to much in to any media as it is being seriously kept under wraps. Howley is said to be decoy on all this.

Equally I think the media take so much interest in us it is funny. Most are D4 media and do put negative spins on it alot of time and seem to just have a grudge. But wouldn't read too much in to some of them

Stephen Larkham is the name doing rounds around base. Wouldn't read to much in to any media as it is being seriously kept under wraps. Howley is said to be decoy on all this.

Equally I think the media take so much interest in us it is funny. Most are D4 media and do put negative spins on it alot of time and seem to just have a grudge. But wouldn't read too much in to some of them
Larkham would fit with the IRFU going for coaches who've been in the international environment.

Blaming the "D4 media" is tiresome. Is the (Cork) Examiner part of that clique because I've seen plenty of criticism of Munster in that paper too. Did you read the article? It heaped praise on Jerry Flannery for the excellent job he has done and bemoaned JJ Hanrahan and Tyler Bleyendaal not getting enough credit from outside.

That Munster's attack is poor isn't a conspiracy dreamt up elsewhere, it's plain for all to see. It's not a case of being out to get Munster, media will take aim wherever it's appropriate. Witness the reporting on Ulster in the first half of 2018 (the rape trial, sackings and coaching departures), what was being said about Leinster under Matt O'Connor, the shambles of how Leo Cullen came into the job and the comparisons of Leinster ladyboys versus Munster's all conquering team in the latter part of the last decade.

Anyway, are you confident ahead of the Pro 14 semi final?

Larkham would fit with the IRFU going for coaches who've been in the international environment.

Blaming the "D4 media" is tiresome. Is the (Cork) Examiner part of that clique because I've seen plenty of criticism of Munster in that paper too. Did you read the article? It heaped praise on Jerry Flannery for the excellent job he has done and bemoaned JJ Hanrahan and Tyler Bleyendaal not getting enough credit from outside.

That Munster's attack is poor isn't a conspiracy dreamt up elsewhere, it's plain for all to see. It's not a case of being out to get Munster, media will take aim wherever it's appropriate. Witness the reporting on Ulster in the first half of 2018 (the rape trial, sackings and coaching departures), what was being said about Leinster under Matt O'Connor, the shambles of how Leo Cullen came into the job and the comparisons of Leinster ladyboys versus Munster's all conquering team in the latter part of the last decade.

Anyway, are you confident ahead of the Pro 14 semi final?
The Cork Examiner as you say is now Irish Examiner and based more from Dublin than Cork. I'm not slating Fanning either if it's taken that way. His article has good sense. More lads like the Indo, Neil Francis, the lads on OTB amongst others. And it isn't tiresome when there is alot of proof.

On Fannings article he makes valid points. And is right in many. We have had a poor attacking structure and that is what JVG is trying to address. People think it was a case of him telling the 2 lads good luck. When it is nothing like that. And not a demotion issue too.
Equally and I have said it here in past on JJ and Tyler. They are at times restricted due to lack of backs plan overall. Even in our forwards the coaching technicalities they look at are so fascinating it goes down to even how they move after contact.

On next week. We are very confident. Due to Leinster rotating and us in a backs to wall scenario and the importance of it to us

Dougie leaving now too.

Probably completely unconnected, but doesn't have a good look to it.

Dougie leaving now too.

Probably completely unconnected, but doesn't have a good look to it.
Completely blown out of water and unconnected. Douggie had said he was going home in December. Munster had a night for him in January. He has transitioned out as planned.
And simply came for 2 years and stayed 11. Was not involved in coaching or even the rugby side. And it's just a shame that media try to drag him in to a fabricated story as opposed to celebrating what he has given the province and Ireland in general. Himsepf Monique and all the kids bought in to life and culture here hugely.

So not sure what doesn't look good. That a lad is going home to be his roots and to be close ro his family after all the years here.

So not sure what doesn't look good.

Its pretty obvious how it appears to those that don't know the details.

Everyone knows Dougie has been doing nothing on the coaching side with Munster for years.

But, having 3 guys depart, two of them in the proper-ligind status while the perception is Radge and POC don't want to come in for whatever reasons... Does all that have any effect on (unknowledgeable) sponsors/players/fans decisions? Probably not. But hard to say that definitively.

Latest posts