• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A great big Munster thread

https://munsterrugby.ie/2019/05/03/departing-players-confirmed/

Duncan Williams, Dave O'Callaghan, Mike Sherry and James Hart are leaving Munster at the end of the season. Ian Keatley, Jaco Taute, Stephen Fitzgerald and Ronan O'Mahony were already confirmed as departees.

Nothing against any of these players but Munster needed to trim their squad. It'll give some up and coming players more of a shot.

On the four confirmed as leaving today, Duncan Williams shipped a lot of criticism but Munster would have been lost without him. Mike Sherry looked like a really good player before injury struck. Dave O'Callaghan had a great underage pedigree but didn't kick on as well as hoped. It's fair to say the move to Munster didn't work out for James Hart.

Hopefully O'Callaghan and Hart can kick start their careers in France at whichever clubs they've signed for. Both have the talent to do well.

https://munsterrugby.ie/2019/05/03/departing-players-confirmed/

Duncan Williams, Dave O'Callaghan, Mike Sherry and James Hart are leaving Munster at the end of the season. Ian Keatley, Jaco Taute, Stephen Fitzgerald and Ronan O'Mahony were already confirmed as departees.

Nothing against any of these players but Munster needed to trim their squad. It'll give some up and coming players more of a shot.

On the four confirmed as leaving today, Duncan Williams shipped a lot of criticism but Munster would have been lost without him. Mike Sherry looked like a really good player before injury struck. Dave O'Callaghan had a great underage pedigree but didn't kick on as well as hoped. It's fair to say the move to Munster didn't work out for James Hart.

Hopefully O'Callaghan and Hart can kick start their careers in France at whichever clubs they've signed for. Both have the talent to do well.
Both close to going to Biarritz,
Mike will probably extent Gloucester stay and Duncan linked with move to Championship in England. Saved our bacon vs Exeter

Have to say thank you to Williams. He wasnt the standard of nine we might have liked but he was the only one who out up his hand to do the job. We're in a way better position now, but Williams never gave anything less than 110% in terms of his physicality and the non-talent stuff.
It's a shame how O'Callaghan has gone. Really bad injury record but hopefully he can make an impact somewhere. Sherry another with a rough record. Pretty handy player at his best though. Hart definitely just didn't work out, hopefully he can get his Grenoble form back.

All put in decent shifts. Poor auld Duncan got dogs abuse from the sunshine brigade unfortunately.

DOC 2 was always the one I hoped could just stay fit. His debut v sarries In thomond !!!

Lads as I always said here. Duncan will never win you season but served his purpose as a squad member. Never moaned, complained and was brave and durable. Rare he was injured

I know you won't disclose the name of new attach coach muff but is it a new name or someone we may have heard of ?

Better to reply to this here rather than the Pro 14 matchday thread.

I'm all for giving Cork more games and not just because I'm moving there in July. They've sold out every game they got this year and showed out for the 20s too. A meaningful high stakes game like this is perfect for Cork I think. It is kinda tough to get excited for this game I won't lie. I'm just waiting to jump in tickets for the semi the second the fixture is confirmed should we win.
Long term, I think we'll see more and more games move to Cork. The population of the Cork metropolitan area is 2 1/2 times that of Limerick. There are two universities/ tech institutes nearby which have training facilities, an international airport just a few kms away from Musgrave Park and a port closeby too. Recent crowds for Munster or Ireland u20 games in Cork show there's an appetite for quality rugby in the city and county. There's plenty of room around Musgrave Park to expand it (3 pitches directly beside it if I'm not mistaken) if they get the funds.

Crowds in Thomond Park are decreasing and Cork is producing far more players than Limerick at present. It's being lost in the circle jerk about St Michaels that down in Cork, PBC is producing a huge amount of quality players. Players with the talent of Jack O'Sullivan, Jonathan Wren and Sean French coming from one school in the space of a couple of years is staggering output. West Cork is also producing a number of quality prospects.

If the 6 Nations and Pro 14 take the financial windfall on offer from CVC, the merits or otherwise of which can be discussed elsewhere, I'd be pumping money into Cork before Limerick . In much the same way that Leinster are more fortunate than other provinces due to demographics and being the base of the capital city, Cork holds a trump card over Limerick and it's only a matter of time before it begins to gain the upper hand.

Of course Green Bay Packers show that you can be a small city team and still thrive against much larger cities and economies so there's hope that Limerick can replicate that.

Better to reply to this here rather than the Pro 14 matchday thread.

Long term, I think we'll see more and more games move to Cork. The population of the Cork metropolitan area is 2 1/2 times that of Limerick. There are two universities/ tech institutes nearby which have training facilities, an international airport just a few kms away from Musgrave Park and a port closeby too. Recent crowds for Munster or Ireland u20 games in Cork show there's an appetite for quality rugby in the city and county. There's plenty of room around Musgrave Park to expand it (3 pitches directly beside it if I'm not mistaken) if they get the funds.

Crowds in Thomond Park are decreasing and Cork is producing far more players than Limerick at present. It's being lost in the circle jerk about St Michaels that down in Cork, PBC is producing a huge amount of quality players. Players with the talent of Jack O'Sullivan, Jonathan Wren and Sean French coming from one school in the space of a couple of years is staggering output. West Cork is also producing a number of quality prospects.

If the 6 Nations and Pro 14 take the financial windfall on offer from CVC, the merits or otherwise of which can be discussed elsewhere, I'd be pumping money into Cork before Limerick . In much the same way that Leinster are more fortunate than other provinces due to demographics and being the base of the capital city, Cork holds a trump card over Limerick and it's only a matter of time before it begins to gain the upper hand.

Of course Green Bay Packers show that you can be a small city team and still thrive against much larger cities and economies so there's hope that Limerick can replicate that.

Hard to argue with much of that and I'm a limerick man living in cork. Issue with expanding muzzer is that currently you have excellent control of the supply and demand aspect of tickets. TP is too big at 27k. 22k would have been perfect. You can't put a worth on guys not getting tickets too easily. I'm certain the Exeter game sold out because the Leinster game was a sell out early.

Full sellout for 3 seasons in cork of 8k is worth a lot. My ST is terrace in musgrave and it suits a lot. Rock up on the fri night lights grand and easy just off the link. Extend one terrace behind the goal and maybe roof it perhaps to 10k but don't go too mad However no corporate in cork (and you'd imagine cork has more corporate possibilities ) and doesn't seem to have the same outside food facilities burgers etc so you'd imagine the bottom line comes in to it a lot. For me the ideal would be the three interpros plus one extra and 3/4 European Games in limerick and the rest in cork

The future motorway will help. The current road in my opinion takes 1k at least off traveling. Especially guys who travel it a lot for work

howley the new attack coach ???

On paper not a bad idea. Highly experienced coach 2 lions/ several years with wales in witha few guys who are learning on the job. Also seemed to work well with Murray in oz lions tour. However Sean o brien certainly wasn't a fan

I think its a brutal idea.

The likes of Stephen Larkham would have been a better bet - a bit of wedge might have persuaded him to come up north after being let go by Cheika. [Yeah, the wobblies have been crap - but its usually not because of their ability to score.]

It must be a deliberate IRFU policy to go after coaches who have international experience.

Rob Howley joins Robin McBryde, Stuart Lancaster, Andy Farrell, Dan McFarland, Johann van Graan and Andy Friend (Australia 7s) in coming directly from other national squads to Ireland's national team and provinces. Even David Nucifora came from coaching the Australia u20s and heading the ARUs high performance unit before taking up his current IRFU role. There's bound to be a lot of info coming in about how other nations run things.

Very surprising especially in Jerry Flannery's case.

Rob Howley has been widely reported as coming in which would have undermined Felix Jones. I wonder if somebody else was also lined up to work with Flannery.

Best of luck to both departing coaches. Each are young enough to come back and succeed, just look at Mark McCall as an example.

Very surprising especially in Jerry Flannery's case.

Rob Howley has been widely reported as coming in which would have undermined Felix Jones. I wonder if somebody else was also lined up to work with Flannery.

Best of luck to both departing coaches. Each are young enough to come back and succeed, just look at Mark McCall as an example.
Rumours are of a very adventurous team around here and Howley might not be the man but the decoy.

Both were wanted to stay but rumour Fla has got huge offer. Felix is looking at more of a psychology career (which he has qualified as). Both will hopefully return 1 day. But well if the team I'm hearing is coming I may ask is JP involved lol

@munstermuffin any idea what comp Flannery might end up in Prem, Top 14 or Pro?

What I would give to have him at Tigers.
Well not Pro14.
Rumours are he has an offer from abroad bot sure if its France or England.

Felix may be added to Springboks ticket I feels in psychology area.

Also I think media are making it out as if there was some big bust up. Fla I think simply mentioned he has done 6 years and a change of voice and approach may suit all.

Jerry Flannery has done a great job and will be a loss.

It'll be interesting to see where Felix Jones end up as both Joe Schmidt and Rassie Erasmus rated him highly.

Any idea on a replacement forwards/scrum coach? Will Johann van Graan be taking on more of a responsibility for the pack himself?

Jerry Flannery has done a great job and will be a loss.

It'll be interesting to see where Felix Jones end up as both Joe Schmidt and Rassie Erasmus rated him highly.

Any idea on a replacement forwards/scrum coach? Will Johann van Graan be taking on more of a responsibility for the pack himself?
2 possibly 3 roles will open up

2 possibly 3 roles will open up
I know he won't take the role because he's not long with Toulouse but I'd offer heaven and earth for Régis Sonnes as head coach and have Johann van Graan move to more of a director of rugby role where he can concentrate on team selection and recruitment. It's not in question that he's doing a good job overhauling the squad.

Latest posts