• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A great big Munster thread

Halftime here in the Irish Independent Superdome. Up 7-0. Fairly error filled, but Wycherley and the front row have been good. Knox has an arse the size of Inis Mór. Subs are rolling. Jack O'Sullivan is on now. Thomas Ahern is one of the skinnier forwards I've seen. He's about 6"7 though.

Highlights from LI. Some good rugby was played. As I said O'Sullivan was explosive. Scored one, gave a great carry to break their defence for JJ's and gave a good pop out the back door for Haley's. Coombes and Goggin bagged two sweet if lucky tries too.

O Sullivan still looks light for an 8 to me but there no doubt he's got buckets of ability. Casey's passing ability and range is a game changer. Could easily seem him make the next step.
Without getting carried away it's gteat seeing all those young lads starting to show ability. We don't have a fat chequebook so all future success will to a certain point involve maximizing as many of these guys into an already decent squad.
Goggin is a guy who's impressed me a lot. From afar There's a personality there that some with more ability don't seem to have. We definitely need a big guy like him in Farrell's absence.

O Sullivan still looks light for an 8 to me but there no doubt he's got buckets of ability. Casey's passing ability and range is a game changer. Could easily seem him make the next step.
Without getting carried away it's gteat seeing all those young lads starting to show ability. We don't have a fat chequebook so all future success will to a certain point involve maximizing as many of these guys into an already decent squad.
Goggin is a guy who's impressed me a lot. From afar There's a personality there that some with more ability don't seem to have. We definitely need a big guy like him in Farrell's absence.
Probably has weight to put on but every carry he made was a gainline success to my memory. Not at the weight he will need but he's naturally very powerful.
I didn't note too much of Casey. He wasn't on for too long I don't think, nor was Healy, but I expect Casey will get good time this year. I like Cronin but some of his passes trend high and his box kicking definitely isn't a strength. Service is quick though.
Goggin was very impressive too as I'd hope. He shone very well last season too. I'd agree he wasn't necessarily one tipped to do great things but he's forced his way into the scene, arguably ahead of Arnold.
Knox is definitely a guy who's big enough to play I'd say. He was on a good while considering the amount of rotation. Got the better of the LI loosehead more often than not.

Probably has weight to put on but every carry he made was a gainline success to my memory. Not at the weight he will need but he's naturally very powerful.
I didn't note too much of Casey. He wasn't on for too long I don't think, nor was Healy, but I expect Casey will get good time this year. I like Cronin but some of his passes trend high and his box kicking definitely isn't a strength. Service is quick though.
Goggin was very impressive too as I'd hope. He shone very well last season too. I'd agree he wasn't necessarily one tipped to do great things but he's forced his way into the scene, arguably ahead of Arnold.
Knox is definitely a guy who's big enough to play I'd say. He was on a good while considering the amount of rotation. Got the better of the LI loosehead more often than not.
Knox will have big year this year. Remember too that some guys are at different stages of preseason eg Casey is behind Cronin 3 weeks. Dan always has the potential and is versatile.

Very promising performance at the weekend. Kob flying it. Knox survived the early onslaught. FW looks ready for euro games. Jod back on track. 6 suits him so much better. Cloete a pest but kept the head. Arno excellent as always. Thought jj did v well
Excellent performance from goggin Nash and Daly.

Overall a very obvious targeting of soft shoulders and less brain dead attach.

Terms and conditions apply that Cardiff were absolutely dogshit.

Whatever your thoughts on jvg the fact that he recognized and recruited rowntree and larkham is excellent. Even if this season is to naught (esp with our euro group) we need to progress and there is loads of young lads getting gametime.

When you think we'd the luxury of resting jcronin Rhys billy tod from the pack it means a deeper squad that is less likely to be punch drunk in April.

Damien De Allende joining next season. Munster's backs aren't going around anyone at the top level so a lad who can burst through defences could be a big acquisition.

That's a great signing. Will be a massive upgrade on Scannell but that said won't solve the ongoing creative problem in Munster's midfield. A partnership of him and Farrell will be terrifying though.

When was the last time an Irish team signed a marquee star who was a key part of a Tier 1 team? Thought that all we'd ever see from now on would be either guys who couldn't make the national squad, or whose international days were over, like Lowe and Fardy respectively.

Wow mad signing. Thought the days of being able to sign players of that profile at a good age were gone. Pretty confident that with our coaching changes we should be able to show some more creativity going forward as well.

RG Snyman as well according to the indo. Munster fans should be pinching themselves at this stage.

Can't wait for Leinster to sign Faf de Klerk or something now.

Very good signings, wonder how much influence the South African coaching staff had. Can remember South African fans giving out about De Allende's inconsistency so may be a handle with care.

Damien De Allende joining next season. Munster's backs aren't going around anyone at the top level so a lad who can burst through defences could be a big acquisition.

Great signing for them.

Rassie becoming Bok DOR may see a few others decide to head to Limerick.

(Although they'd have to accept a substantial drop in living conditions - can't be easy going from deep social problems, electric brownouts and droughts to Limerick.)

Signing de Allende and Snyman would be a serious statement of intent for Munster. You can't fault Munster's ambition if they pull these moves off.

Great signing for them.

Rassie becoming Bok DOR may see a few others decide to head to Limerick.

(Although they'd have to accept a substantial drop in living conditions - can't be easy going from deep social problems, electric brownouts and droughts to Limerick.)

I wonder if the weather in Limerick compares well to Cape Town?

Carberry will be out until near Christmas apparently. Pretty disappointing from the Irish camp that he was carried for the tournament when clearly injured and then thrown in to a game that was well lost already.
On other squad things, I expect Alby will be off soon. What a signing he would be for any club, he's a top top player and our form 9. How he was available for us on temp contract for us I have no idea, he'd be comfortable in a Heino final. He is in our Euro squad though so must be around until Christmas.
Craig Casey and Rhys Marshall are out for this week. Really hoping to see more of Kevin O'Byrne, seriously skillful hooker.

Latest posts