• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A great big Munster thread

I genuinely haven't seen any real criticism of Crowley. Everyone is saying how good he was yesterday in a game where he kicked 40%, got charged down and had a few other ropey kicks. And rightly so because ball in hand he suits the team so well. He will need to learn how to orchestrate opportunities to win big games like Johnny used to but Johnny took about two years to build that into his game from his international debut (and then was hamstrung by a bad coach for another two).

I think the sensitivity is wild. Up until his game against the Tigers you'd swear Harry Byrne wasn't AIL standard, the media punched on Frawley even though his starts at 10 have all been middling to poor. I think he's the clear back up and a good variance on Crowley as they're generally strong where the other is weak.

I think the much maligned Virgin team were more or less saying that's the order too yesterday but any positive words regarding a Byrne are seen as direct attacks on Crowley below. They asked a hypothetical question regarding kicking and answered it correctly. The question was premature though, HB has had days like that and there's no sign of Crowley pulling a Manie Libbok any time soon.
Not on about fans.

But here is 1 that comes up straight away:

And I will agree Harry Byrne got some too. But Harry's issue was he got called up the very girst time as if he was Dan Carter. Not Harry's fault, Not Leinster but media.

I don't thik the 2 are alligned as many as you said praised Jack and also Harry and how they both played well. Like Harry Byrne praise I see as totally seperate. If Harry played better rugby then that it like it not comparing as the likes are more zooming in on Jacks game. For 2 weeks Virgin did try and find negatives.

The alternative would be as we all said here yesterday. James Ryan is struggling to get in to that team. Not because James has been poor or is gone awful. Joe McCarthy and Tadhg Beirne are just soaring to new levels.

Not on about fans.

But here is 1 that comes up straight away:

And I will agree Harry Byrne got some too. But Harry's issue was he got called up the very girst time as if he was Dan Carter. Not Harry's fault, Not Leinster but media.

I don't thik the 2 are alligned as many as you said praised Jack and also Harry and how they both played well. Like Harry Byrne praise I see as totally seperate. If Harry played better rugby then that it like it not comparing as the likes are more zooming in on Jacks game. For 2 weeks Virgin did try and find negatives.

The alternative would be as we all said here yesterday. James Ryan is struggling to get in to that team. Not because James has been poor or is gone awful. Joe McCarthy and Tadhg Beirne are just soaring to new levels.

To be honest, I think this is a rare occasion where the great Colman Stanley got it wrong. Williams was asked if Crowley continues to kick like that can you pick him and he said no. Hard to argue.

Virgin aren't trying to find negatives but there are weaknesses to point out. His kicking is sub-standard so far and it's been pointed out. No calls to drop him and a lot of positivity is surrounding him but you can't expect pundits to ignore a new 10 hitting 40% or wasting an attacking position in the 22 by kicking it dead, that's be more of a disservice.

I don't see a single voice saying Crowley shouldn't start, he's getting as much love as Big Joe imo.

To be honest, I think this is a rare occasion where the great Colman Stanley got it wrong. Williams was asked if Crowley continues to kick like that can you pick him and he said no. Hard to argue.

Virgin aren't trying to find negatives but there are weaknesses to point out. His kicking is sub-standard so far and it's been pointed out. No calls to drop him and a lot of positivity is surrounding him but you can't expect pundits to ignore a new 10 hitting 40% or wasting an attacking position in the 22 by kicking it dead, that's be more of a disservice.

I don't see a single voice saying Crowley shouldn't start, he's getting as much love as Big Joe imo.
Yes but his kicking is usually good and last week was the same. Not people saying he should be dropped but some do try and go hard. Again I 100% agree it a minority. Most did praise how Crowley had the backs purring.
And no issues with lads raising things like poor kicking if it was a constant and I am the first to say it is the only bad trait of Jacks is these little dinks through just outside 22. It rarely works but some (again a minority are nit picking).

Regards McCarthy - The man is getting massive hype and praise but he is backing it up and fully deserved. I think more interstingly would be is the Snyman deal a bit more a bad set of business now. In terms of just solely cost.

A great player and will certainly add. No doubt. More so the missing link Leinster wanted was that real bulldozer 2nd row and I think at Christmas time McCarthy still looked like he was maybe 18months away from that but in last 6-8 weeks he now looks it immediately.
Like can't deny a weak area of Leinsters is now looking like a huge strength IF everyone stays fit.

Kilgallen on board. Some potential there, even if we have enough injured players.

Hopefully we have a couple more confirmed soon

Big Updates.

La Rochelle now after countering with a very nice offer for Dillane,
Grobbelar deal hit a snag due to him being called in to S.A. Camp and NIQ status. A bit messy.

A lot of musical chairs with a few Leinster lads about to happen but some push back from some but from what I hearing Leinster going to be pushed to cut some lads.

Big Updates.

La Rochelle now after countering with a very nice offer for Dillane,
Grobbelar deal hit a snag due to him being called in to S.A. Camp and NIQ status. A bit messy.

A lot of musical chairs with a few Leinster lads about to happen but some push back from some but from what I hearing Leinster going to be pushed to cut some lads.
I don't know why we shouldn't be allowed an NIQ hooker anyway. I'd love if we pivoted to McGuigan if he was available though.

I hope we get Dillane. We've come close a few times.

Unfortunate to hear about the Leinster lads. Push back from players or province?

Never ideal to push players but at the same time can see why irfu are keen to maximise each player. Better performances by provinces is more bums on seats and income etc. it's circular

Would imagine grobelaars call up has more to do with how often he's likely to be away on international duty and the value we get out of him??

Any word on James cronin… have heard lots of whispers that we are interested. But also that Michael Milne is signed?

Never ideal to push players but at the same time can see why irfu are keen to maximise each player. Better performances by provinces is more bums on seats and income etc. it's circular

Would imagine grobelaars call up has more to do with how often he's likely to be away on international duty and the value we get out of him??

Any word on James cronin… have heard lots of whispers that we are interested. But also that Michael Milne is signed?
I think Cronin deal may have died a death, but open to correction.

Seems like Burns is the most likely deal we have at the moment?

Murray getting a provincial deal also mentioned. Turned down sacks of Yen for tax reasons apparently.

IRFU padding those contacts at all? Don't think it'd be worth it for Murray but POM makes sense as he's the captain of the country for the time being!

IRFU padding those contacts at all? Don't think it'd be worth it for Murray but POM makes sense as he's the captain of the country for the time being!
I heard Pom was a CC who knows tho

Murray is very valuable given pattersons injury profile and is an experienced head at this stage

You don't have to go to Munster but you can't stay here is an often heard phrase at the end of training sessions in D4 at this time of year.
I think there is big cuts coming at Leinster from what I have heard. But alot of lads who are fringe are being pushed out the door and been told if Pro Rugby in Ireland is on the table it ain't in D4.

Max Deegan and Rhys Ruddock are 2 already on way out I believe. Frawley is the interesting 1 and the mumblings are it's Frawley or Prendergast. It impacts others supposedly as Ulster will get the 1 not chosen and may start a spiral of things.

James Cronin not coming.

Regards Grobbelar - Him being NIQ and away alot has massive impact on price of deal as well as other areas. We won't be signing a guy who is all of a sudden unavailable alot and then factor in rest periods etc. to get best out of him. And that before value terms

Ruddock being shunted out if it isn't voluntary doesn't sit right for me more than the others for some reason. Man's 33, has no international prospects going forward and has captained his province many times.

Latest posts