• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A great big Munster thread

Hey guys, welcome back to my personal thread.

Good business today as Niall and Rory Scannell, Jack O'Donoghue, Craig Casey, Shane Daly and Calvin Nash have all signed two-year extensions while Liam Coombes and Alex McHenry have put pen to paper on one-year deals. Happy with all of that. Rory maybe the only guy I thought might walk, but he's hugely valuable in a domestic season. Coombes and McHenry very clearly being given a season to show something.

Also heavily rumored Earls is staying on a 1yr with O'Mahony and Stander on 2 years. Could have seen O'Mahony and Earls heading away, but at the same time I doubt anyone is paying huge right now and both have young families. CJ was never being let go.

Maybe a bit early to speculate on outgoings bar Alex Wootton signing LT for Connacht as I'm sure we will have another announcement like this.
Alex to Connacht is as good as done. Rhys Marshall nearly done. The 3 lads you mentioned all getting deals with IRFU too it's looking like.

@big ginger 8 has a list. On that there is mumblings here Loughman may be going back to Leinster as part of Nucifora work,
Gavin Coombes has already signed new deal, Tommy is looking like he will be released.
Billy Holland is in line for role with Munster Rugby. Not as coach but somewhere within whole thing. Deservedly so.

Fineen staying too. Ben Healy is sealed and signed too.
Mike Haley is 50/50 and Sweetnam is 30/70

Alex to Connacht is as good as done. Rhys Marshall nearly done. The 3 lads you mentioned all getting deals with IRFU too it's looking like.

@big ginger 8 has a list. On that there is mumblings here Loughman may be going back to Leinster as part of Nucifora work,
Gavin Coombes has already signed new deal, Tommy is looking like he will be released.
Billy Holland is in line for role with Munster Rugby. Not as coach but somewhere within whole thing. Deservedly so.

Fineen staying too. Ben Healy is sealed and signed too.
Mike Haley is 50/50 and Sweetnam is 30/70
Was half way through a post speculating who we'll keep, but this saves me doing so. Rhys Marshall staying or headed away? Any word on JJ? Also any word on the future of the likes of French x2, Daly, Wren, Clarke? Imagine Josh W and Ahern will stroll into senior contracts, but other lads I'm not as sure. Could see Daly getting one and maybe Wren if Sweetnam walks. Both Frenches have a good chance, James maybe less so. Also imagine Nick Mc is away and Cronin is staying put.

Glad Billy will stay around Munster, one of the greatest servants we've ever had and he's probably hanging the boots up at the right time. Feel for Tommy but he's good enough for a good level abroad. Would miss Haley, but not irreplaceable. Sweetnam just has had a rotten time with his injuries, but had some great moments with us. Score against the Maori comes to mind.

Last edited:
Was half way through a post speculating who we'll keep, but this saves me doing so. Rhys Marshall staying or headed away? Any word on JJ? Also any word on the future of the likes of French x2, Daly, Wren, Clarke? Imagine Josh W and Ahern will stroll into senior contracts, but other lads I'm not as sure. Could see Daly getting one and maybe Wren if Sweetnam walks. Both Frenches have a good chance, James maybe less so. Also imagine Nick Mc is away and Cronin is staying put.

Glad Billy will stay around Munster, one of the greatest servants we've ever had and he's probably hanging the boots up at the right time. Feel for Tommy but he's good enough for a good level abroad. Would miss Haley, but not irreplaceable. Sweetnam just has had a rotten time with his injuries, but had some great moments with us. Score against the Maori comes to mind.
Rhys is IQ now lets remember but a deal is looking likely.
JJ - Expect the south of France.
The academy lads can be extended to an extra academy year. Josh and Tom Ahern will be going nowhere. Cronin looking likely to go back teaching.

On Billy Holland. Will always be underrated but on and off the field the man typifies the word warrior.

I'd be delighted to see Billy kept in a role. Clearly has massive know how.

Isn't McCarthy supposed to be heading back to blue? If Cronin leaving that leaves a massive hole. Niq signing?
Will be sad if sweetnam and Tod exit but could see how that works squad wise

suspected JJ and Rory scanell wouldn't both be kept. One of the other perhaps. Depends on where we see Crowley in the long term I suppose.

All good business. Wasn't sure about Neil Cronin but thinking about it with McCarthy leaving and Casey already capped it's a good move. Ends the ongoing discussion about Haley to an English team too.

The key man was Mike Haley. Ben will get plenty of time at 10 to earn a bigger and longer deal when normal life returns

Glasgow fan and all. Thought I'd never see the day.
I'm tired of Leinster winning ***les. o_O

200.gif

Last edited:
Glasgow fan and all. Thought I'd never see the day.
They're boo'd out.

On a bright side seen as half the Scottish team are playing in England and France does that mean I Ireland have an advantage Sunday. Munster/Leinster play in an empty heartless Murrayfield annually although granted some Scottish guys do it weekly.

A disgrace he won't get a sold out Thomond to say goodbye. I'd argue he was the greatest import in Irish rugby for what he gave on and off the field.

Latest posts