• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A great big Munster thread

Really happy with how we've used our squad so far this season. Something in the region of 40 players used so far I think without a game dropped, although we did in my opinion leave a point behind in Newport. I have been really impressed by the young players that have come in: Coombes, Casey, Healy, Hodnett, J. Wycherley, Ahern, Salanoa, Barron, O'Sullivan, Gallagher to name..... most of them.

I note that Richie Murphy's son Ben has now joined the squad on his 7 week deal. We are definitely a bit short here and Casey has a lot of strapping and took a few heavy knocks last game. We also have 0 academy scrum halves, but 2 in the sub academy I think. Don't think its unlikely that loan gets extended if he's any use.

Couldn't agree more. A lot have been arguing for some time for Munster to trust in younger players rather than seek quick fixes and it's great to see it happen. Results have been favourable too. Keep it up and by next season Munster will be real contenders in Europe.

Couldn't agree more. A lot have been arguing for some time for Munster to trust in younger players rather than seek quick fixes and it's great to see it happen. Results have been favourable too. Keep it up and by next season Munster will be real contenders in Europe.
Absolutely, I will like our chances in Europe if we can step up in a few positions. We can field a pretty monstrous pack now with plenty of back three options and a bit of hope at half backs. I would still worry about the creativity of our centres. De Allende has been great for us and has already set up some very nice tries, but I would like to see a guy like Crowley groomed as an alternative ball playing 12. We will see how DDA gels with Farrell, but I worry there will be some Ireland syndrome whereby with two physical centres we revert to type and try to go through teams. Early signs from the season have been that we're trying to play some ball, offloading way more and persisting with holding onto the ball even when it doesn't initially work. Our forwards in particular have been passing a lot more and to greater effect. The true test will be whether we persist with a more expansive game against quality opposition.

Absolutely, I will like our chances in Europe if we can step up in a few positions. We can field a pretty monstrous pack now with plenty of back three options and a bit of hope at half backs. I would still worry about the creativity of our centres. De Allende has been great for us and has already set up some very nice tries, but I would like to see a guy like Crowley groomed as an alternative ball playing 12. We will see how DDA gels with Farrell, but I worry there will be some Ireland syndrome whereby with two physical centres we revert to type and try to go through teams. Early signs from the season have been that we're trying to play some ball, offloading way more and persisting with holding onto the ball even when it doesn't initially work. Our forwards in particular have been passing a lot more and to greater effect. The true test will be whether we persist with a more expansive game against quality opposition.
I think difference here is DDA and Chris Farrell while being big men are very skilful and don't rely on bosh.
Very possible when we meet Leinster that it will be as both teams unbeaten.

Biggest positive is that the youth are argubally outshining the older heads although have to say Billy H and JOD are showing great leadership with youngsters.
All our young front row lads have all impacted positively also. Especially the way the 2 young lads held up last Sunday against a smart experienced front row.

Really happy with how we've used our squad so far this season. Something in the region of 40 players used so far I think without a game dropped, although we did in my opinion leave a point behind in Newport. I have been really impressed by the young players that have come in: Coombes, Casey, Healy, Hodnett, J. Wycherley, Ahern, Salanoa, Barron, O'Sullivan, Gallagher to name..... most of them.

I note that Richie Murphy's son Ben has now joined the squad on his 7 week deal. We are definitely a bit short here and Casey has a lot of strapping and took a few heavy knocks last game. We also have 0 academy scrum halves, but 2 in the sub academy I think. Don't think its unlikely that loan gets extended if he's any use.
We have 2 very good lads in the Sub-Academy but given that these are not fully pro and due to current restrictions and outside issues neither could be "full-time" for a short period. Ben is an Irish U20 so will be useful.

Casey has played a lot of rugby and also it is possible he finds himself in green. Liam Coombes has also been training as a 9 just in case

John Hodnett, Liam Coombes and Alex McHenry out injured after training this week with a fourth player out with Covid. Hodnett will be out long term with an achilles tendon needing surgery.

......... Ah lads

Chris Cloete and Liam Coombes back in the mix for Munster with no fresh injuries which is a breath of fresh air. Lets face it our second string are good enough to get all the points against Zebre before Europe. I'd like to keep the Casey and Healy partnership getting as many minutes together as possible, and I don't think guys in their early 20s need 'resting', but Casey has played so much and taken some huge punishment. I also think Hanrahan needs his minutes.

I'd go with something like:

15 Flannery
14 Nash
13 Goggin
12 Scannell
11 Sweetnam
10 Hanrahan
9 McCarthy
8 O'Donoghue (c)
7 Cloete
6 Wycherley
5 Ahern
4 Kleyn
3 Knox
2 Marshall
1 Wycherley

16 O'Byrne
17 Cronin
18 Archer
19 Holland
20 O'Sullivan
21 Casey
22 Crowley
23 Gallagher

Plenty of experience mixed with youth. Cloete needs his match fitness, and the half backs also need some time. Very confident that front row can get the job done. I really want to see Flannery and Crowley while the stakes are relatively low.

Irish Independent Park is no more, back to being called Musgrave Park.
I don't care what its called, I will always call it Irish Independent Park :mad:

Deal was supposed to be until 2025. Presume they didn't see any value in it as there will be no Munster games there this year. Not sure what the craic is with the Under 20s even. I also don't see any value in the Indo as it's a **** paper.

Last edited:
I don't care what its called, I will always call it Irish Independent Park :mad:

Deal was supposed to be until 2025. Presume they didn't see any value in it as there will be no Munster games there this year. Not sure what the craic is with the Under 20s even. I also don't see any value in the Indo as it's a **** paper.
Lets just say it was mutual as the Independent is full of gutter journalists like a certain R O'Connor and well it is a happy break. They reaped their own path on this. And I can safely say money was not the reason in this.

Lads the fact ye are believing this is funnier. He's about to break in as first choice 10 and due a contract renewal. It's not like IRFU are worst off than SRU and Healy will be starting for Scotland.

Lads the fact ye are believing this is funnier. He's about to break in as first choice 10 and due a contract renewal. It's not like IRFU are worst off than SRU and Healy will be starting for Scotland.
So Murray Kinsella has just fabricated a story for the craic? Doubt the lad will go but I believe the article.

I could certainly see a lot of less financially secure players having their heads turned by a good contract while the IRFU are not negotiating with players, but I don't think it will be Healy, as surely a guy who is potentially our starting ten isn't near the top of the list for a senior provincial contract for the IRFU. I fully believe Glasgow have made an approach, because why wouldn't they, but I don't see why he would fancy going to a weaker side to still compete with an international 10 in Hastings for the starting role, before having to then unseat Finn Russell for Scotland. I'd be a bit more worried if it was Edinburgh who'd approached, because they're really quite light at 10. I think he's in a pretty good position at Munster and a big effort will be made to keep him even with finances as they are.

Latest posts