• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A great big Munster thread

Are you guys talking of POC who was to have taken up a contract in Toulon other than for the cruel injury?

Yeah thats the 1 and well also a very intelligent business man in a way that will be proven in time with his latest venture in the works outside of rugby

Also Colm O'Shea is 1 of a few club players invited to train through pre season. This has happened for past 4 years.

Conway (starter), Keatley (sub), Copeland (not in fully fit HC squad with fully fit back row) comes to three. I knew things were bad in Leinster when you have to resort to average journeymen like Triggs and pull Nacewa out of retirement, but I didn't know they couldn't find more than 3 local players.

So the game will go ahead this Saturday

Yeah. Lads still a bit shook but it's what Axel would hace wanted. Lads were back training yesterday and well hope to deliver a big performance in memory of Axel but equally rugby isn't important this week.

Yeah. Lads still a bit shook but it's what Axel would hace wanted. Lads were back training yesterday and well hope to deliver a big performance in memory of Axel but equally rugby isn't important this week.

I can imagine they're still shook. O'Mahony was visibly close to tears at the press conference but did the club proud. I really think there's no better way to honour Axel than on his rugby pitch. A minutes silence and then eighty minutes of knocking seven shades of ****e out of Glasgow is as fitting as it can get.
Hoping for a full stadium, respect for this Glasgow side for having the inenviable task of playing an emotionally charged team that's really hurting, and a good game of rugby.

I can imagine they're still shook. O'Mahony was visibly close to tears at the press conference but did the club proud. I really think there's no better way to honour Axel than on his rugby pitch. A minutes silence and then eighty minutes of knocking seven shades of ****e out of Glasgow is as fitting as it can get.
Hoping for a full stadium, respect for this Glasgow side for having the inenviable task of playing an emotionally charged team that's really hurting, and a good game of rugby.
17,000 are already going to Thomund on Friday to pay respects, Thomund will be transported back to 2006 on Saturday I'd imagine. Sad I'll be on a bus to Montpellier at the time and be unable to watch it.

Met the plane in to Shannon. Ryanair 8 was the plane. He's being brought tonight to Killaloe via Thomond Park and Munchins College. Then reposing in church there from 1-9 tomorrow. Funeral friday is private as church is tiny. There was 1000 or so at airport. Thomond and Munchins I hear close to 10k. And places all decorated like it was Heineken final. The man deserves it.

Last edited:
My dad signed the book of condolences on my behalf as I'm in Austria. I'm going to be on my way to Vienna to play a rugby game during the match (which they're sadly livestreaming) but I'll catch a repeat in the Irish pub. Such a sad occasion buy I'm looking forward to seeing a packed thomond and Munster playing with some dog in them again.

A few new signings for Munster
http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/23413.php#.WCDkGcnftzl

Munster Rugby have recruited the services of Ulster's Angus Lloyd and Bay of Plenty halfback Te Aihe Toma as injury cover on short-term loans, and both players will join the squad today in Limerick.

Dublin-native Lloyd has made one PRO12 appearance for the northern province with the 24-year-old featuring for Munster A at Naas RFC last April, while 23-year-old Toma made 34 appearances for the Bay of Plenty and lined out for the Highlanders on three occasions during the 2016 Super Rugby season.

Fellow short-term signing, prop Thomas du Toit, has also linked up with the squad today.

Rassie Erasmus is massively overhauling the squad. I think that's now 12 new signings since the end of last season along with a number of younger players getting a chance. Good to see. The squad needed freshening up.

Few highlights from tonights game. Incredibly touching gesture from the Maori in presenting Axel's kids with a jersey. Really is what rugby is about, and I have nothing but love for the Maori and New Zealand rugby in general for the grace they've shown in defeat and the respect they've show to a great man tonight.pos
https://www.balls.ie/rugby/munster-vs-maori-highlights/351528
What a game from Munster. Copeland was a man possessed. Williams was superb bar his brain fart of a high tackle, and Keatley ran the show well and looked confident for the first time in about 18 months which is great. Think Sweetnam and Scannell are the most exciting academy back prospects since Barry Murphy. Seriously impressive, especially Sweetnam's try. One of the most natural footballers I've seen with so little experience. We're starting to develop some real depth in positions and are recruiting very cleverly. Our two huge second rows put in a good shift, and O'Donnel is begging for more caps.

The Maori game isn't as meaningful as a win in the Pro12 or European Cup in the greater scheme of things but the performance will be hugely beneficial for Munster. It puts pressure on those Munster players in the Ireland panel to continue performing at a high level or they could lose their provincial place.

There's a feel good factor returning to Munster and depth emerging in quite a few areas. The coaches deserve an awful lot of credit for turning the ship around. Great to see after a tough few years. Niall Scannell, Rory Scannell and Darren Sweetnam are destined for higher honours. I can see all three being capped during the summer 2017 tour if not before.

Latest posts