• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A great big Munster thread

A good clear out is needed in Munster. I would have taken this horrible season if it was the catalyst for some real changes. It looks like that's beginning to happen.

Sounds like that could be happening. Foley's staying may have been overstated, and a big clear ours with the exception of Fla is expected.
Whatever happens I hope Foley goes somewhere else as a forwards coach. He's more than capable of that job and a change up of environment might let him grow

Just read what happened at the press conference on the42.ie

A complete f**king disgrace. Whilst I may not rate Axel as a coach, he sure as hell didn't deserve that.

Garrett Fitzgerald has to go. Sheer utter incompetence along with being a cowardly *******.

Agreed. Left Foley to be absolutely ambushed on the DOR issue when he is rightly focused on trying to salvage something from this season.

Reading the transcript that Kinsella presents is pretty damming, Erasmus seem like good guy to get in, but the announcement was extremely poorly handled. For the sake of Irish rugby I hope that this the end of the poorly handled Munster saga.

Even though I haven't been impressed by Munster at this year, and I have lost interest in the term, how that press conference went was unbelievable.

For a professional organisation to act like that is unacceptable.

Munster may have been awful this year, and they have left fans disappointed, but you do not treat one of your greatest sons in the way Foley was treated.

The last two coaches (Penny and Foley) have been treated like rubbish. Penny was forced out because, in my view, he wanted to change too much in the province. Whereas Foley has been dropped in it with his unsuccessful appointment in terms of results.

Penny wanted to change Munster and this caused the Munster elite to be scared and the reaction to appointment someone who has no coaching experience and will abide by his superiors.

Munster have announced an exhibition game against the Maori All Blacks in November. Pretty nifty bit of business. Shame I'll be away provided I didn't jut **** up my German exam.

Coaching staff for next year confirmed. Nienaber is in as Defence coach and Fla has been retained. Felix Jones also has some development role on a 1 year contract. Quite happy overall

Coaching staff for next year confirmed. Nienaber is in as Defence coach and Fla has been retained. Felix Jones also has some development role on a 1 year contract. Quite happy overall

How is Felix Jones suitably qualified to start coaching at a professional level straight off the bat?

Did they not learn anything from last year's debacle of slinging together a bunch of guys that had never learnt their trade?

A week or two in Munster and Quins isn't gonna cut it!

How is Felix Jones suitably qualified to start coaching at a professional level straight off the bat?

Did they not learn anything from last year's debacle of slinging together a bunch of guys that had never learnt their trade?

Jobs for the boys.

I think you should actually look at Felix Jones record before saying that. Has been doing a bit with few AIL clubs over past 4 years. Worked with Harlequins and was a major success (he did 3 months there). Has a psychology degree with highest honour you can get.

Has respect from all his peers as many have called him the smartest rugby brain they've ever met. He turned down 3 other offers, 1 of which was a much bigger financial offer and his role is basically skills coach with sports psychologist too.
I can safely say this isn't a 'job for boys' as Felix is a Dub and wasn't linked to anyone. He earned it but many who know Felix's background know that.

Also you may slate Gareth Fitz For a lot but this call was Rassies

How naive are you? If they told you to put your hand in the fire....?

A new head coach, from a few thousand miles away, decided to employ a rookie who he'd no prior experience of - but would have been well aware of the relative weakness of the Munster backs (c.f. their forwards) stretching back years... years which included "the smartest rugby brain they've ever met" playing at 15 and offering no shape to the attack through either lack of game intelligence or skills - a great recipe for whatever you want him to coach.

Once more, Munster have employed an ex-player straight off (or as near as makes no difference) the pitch to coach. The success rate to date is abysmal. The one man who is a success, Flan, spent a full year coaching in a high performance environment and was part of a test match grade forward pack who did know how to get the job done.

A few months in Quins, with a bit more time in the f**king AIL (can't believe you reference that as if its a strength) and coming from being part of a mis-firing, underperforming, instipid backline is not the resume of a man that will carry Munster to European glory.

Wise the head and quit gulping down the kool-aid.

Jones may turn out to be an excellent coach - a few years down the line with a bank of experience to fall back on - but right now he is an untested rookie - and not what Munster need.

Last edited:

A new head coach, from a few thousand miles away, decided to employ a rookie who he'd no prior experience of - but would have been well aware of the relative weakness of the Munster backs (c.f. their forwards) stretching back years... years which included "the smartest rugby brain they've ever met" playing at 15 and offering no shape to the attack through either lack of game intelligence or skills - a great recipe for whatever you want him to coach.

Once more, Munster have employed an ex-player straight off (or as near as makes no difference) the pitch to coach. The success rate to date is abysmal. The one man who is a success, Flan, spent a full year coaching in a high performance environment and was part of a test match grade forward pack who did know how to get the job done.

A few months in Quins, with a bit more time in the f**king AIL (can't believe you reference that as if its a strength) and coming from being part of a mis-firing, underperforming, instipid backline is not the resume of a man that will carry Munster to European glory.

Jones may turn out to be an excellent coach - a few years down the line with a bank of experience to fall back on - but right now he is an untested rookie - and not what Munster need.

Yes he did on the recommendation of people and as I said just do research on Jones before slating him. Will he be a success who knows but he's certainly the brains to succeed. And you do know Jones has got coaching experience. He's been to New Zealand observing, with Harlequins who offered him a deal and spent time at Pau too.
Yes he's a rookie but certainly is a shrewd signing just wait and see. As I say maybe do research. Felix retired and didn't mull on it he went about starting his off field life

Well, all the best of luck to him. Everything I hear says he's a thoroughly decent man and I hope he succeeds*.

*I still don't think its a good choice, but I'm not (quite) that much of an asshole to hope he fails!!

Well, all the best of luck to him. Everything I hear says he's a thoroughly decent man and I hope he succeeds*.

*I still don't think its a good choice, but I'm not (quite) that much of an asshole to hope he fails!!

As I said in past guys have got jobs on playing history. But Felix has earned this through hard work. He's a Leinster man too so its not like he has been Munster from start. He's a worker who as I said will achieve.

hey Muffin you got any clout for next Wednesday's draw we need Munster so get off your A*** AND GET IT ORGANISED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there could be a beer or 3 in it for you the black stuff of course.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey Muffin you got any clout for next Wednesday's draw we need Munster so get off your A*** AND GET IT ORGANISED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there could be a beer or 3 in it for you the black stuff of course.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I said I'll bring you to the hot spots. Hopefully we get eachother. We were back in pre-season today.

pre season training Jesus we only went on holiday last Mon.

Yea its the earliest we have ever went back. Lads all got 4 weeks exactly and were tested on last day of season and yesterday to see difference. Rassie arrives in 2 weeks but has sent ahead his programme of how things are carried out

1.jpg

That background logo is what would come out of Peter O'Mahony's mouth if he vaped. Pure pashun.

- - - Updated - - -

Also this post is stupid. Jones' role is really not major. Basically a 1 year internship where he'll be tested. Really not a huge step up from what he's already been doing. Probably wouldn't have been mentioned in the press release if he wasn't so beloved to Munster fans, that's how not important his role is. Who do we suppose would be a good candidate for what I'd call and entry level coaching job. Someone call up Michael Cheika, he'll really want to hear about this role.

Latest posts