• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A look ahead: the 2014 Six Nations

yeah man, some good back play in potential. I thought they looked good against Japan this year, which itself wasn't an easy foe and held their own in MF.
But the problem past a good 10 is also the scrum. They can hold up against a team like Ireland, and on a "good day" other teams, but they did concede a penalty try in the Quadrangular twice against two different teams: Italy and South Africa. Now these two are amongst the Top 5 in the world in that department for sure, but France, England and Wales will all present a huge challenge up front for the Scots.

And they may lack a good 10, but they have a rarity. A good 9. They've also produced some good work at the breakdown this year, and despite not scoring many tries, they've shown some solid movements on attack.
well true they had good try scoring opportunities against south africa and australia we were just unlucky not to score but for our 9 situation greig laidlaw has been good and henry pygros im not to sure about

Last edited:
lol at people putting England in the fifith place :D

Well... good onya mate, that'll be why the panty waist NH teams think they can win a RWC.
As long as they continue to play in the joke that is the 6 Nations tourney they don't stand a chance of surviving against the big 3 SH teams in RWC.
Home and away is crucial, and cut all the crappy breaks out and get on with playing some rugby.
As an historical event the 6 Nations is a bit of fun, but as a preparation for the RWC, which is what it needs to be if the NH teams are to ever start competing with the big 3, it's nothing more than a jolly old event, much like the boat race, the Chelsea flower show and cheese rolling in the villages.
Home and away would make it so much more watchable and vault the 6 Nations ahead of the Quad nations as a competition.
Until then it's like the Queens tennis event, always the bridesmaid and not universally attractive to the codes fan base.

What the flip did I just read?

What the flip did I just read?

oh don't linger over some posts too much man...they'll appear every once in a while.

So anyways, everybody agrees Italy will be dead last I see. I have a feeling the final ranking will be quite different from the projections we're seeing here.
We just never know...when have we ever predicted the exact right order, for the specific reasons we'd mentioned...?
TRC is much easier to predict. It will basically always be NZ-SA-AUS-ARG at least for the next few years, and anything other than that would be an exception.

EDIT: just for trivia, do you guys know Italy is currently 13th right now ?!...they're actually below Tonga and Fiji, just one point better than Japan, and a whole 3 points below Argentina (10th) which is the next Tier 1 nation in the IRB rankings, itself having had a miserable year...

While we're at it:
England is a whole 5 points ahead of France as the leading 6N side. Looking at the rankings, this would be the order for the 6N hierarchy:

England
France
Wales
Ireland
Scotland
Italy

Last edited:
The rankings are often pretty weird, as in all sports the algorithm they use is a bit dodgy. Ireland were third before the 2003 world cup for example, when we should have been about sixth. I think if a team can match England physically (which is a tough task) then if they have decent skill levels they'll win as there just isn't a big enough threat from the English backline.

I think they are accurate at what they are, a representation of previous performance. They do not however take things into account such as potential or injuries.

I see England are in for a rough time this 6N based on the opinions of the rational, I look forward to it :)

I think they are accurate at what they are, a representation of previous performance. They do not however take things into account such as potential or injuries.

that's right. Nobody takes them for the absolute, unconditional truth. It's just that: where teams are at in the W/L column.

As for England this tournament: like we said, 3 away games, 2 tough home ones, and just not enough fire power. When they win games, I don't think it'll be with big scores. They can grind out wins, they're physical and can be clinical with the forwards..but they can't pose a big threat really per se.

Well... good onya mate, that'll be why the panty waist NH teams think they can win a RWC.
As long as they continue to play in the joke that is the 6 Nations tourney they don't stand a chance of surviving against the big 3 SH teams in RWC.
Home and away is crucial, and cut all the crappy breaks out and get on with playing some rugby.
As an historical event the 6 Nations is a bit of fun, but as a preparation for the RWC, which is what it needs to be if the NH teams are to ever start competing with the big 3, it's nothing more than a jolly old event, much like the boat race, the Chelsea flower show and cheese rolling in the villages.
Home and away would make it so much more watchable and vault the 6 Nations ahead of the Quad nations as a competition.
Until then it's like the Queens tennis event, always the bridesmaid and not universally attractive to the codes fan base.

I'll have some of what you have been smoking thanks .

And while your at it clear off to the rugby championship thread and leave us to talk about NH rugby because my friend as an Englishman id take a game against Wales , Ireland or France over a game against any SH team .

Quite frankly we don't give a crap about your rugby and your arrogance

Thank you and goodbye

French wooden spoon again, surely?
They're absolute muck.

no, I'm afraid not this time.
But I do have a feeling the recurrent thing this year will be England not winning the ***le. ;)

Irish provinces ruthless tonight I'd like to add, especially Leinster of course. Only 3 NIQ in the starting lineups too

I'll just go with a prediction, with no taunting etc :p

1 Wales
2(tie) England
2(tie) France
4 Ireland
5 Scotland
6Italy

I'll just go with a prediction, with no taunting etc :p

1 Wales
2(tie) England
2(tie) France
4 Ireland
5 Scotland
6Italy

I wonder whether, having seen Ireland, sorry Leinster, tonight, they deserve a higher billing.............certainly they will give England a run based on their backs tonight!

I wonder whether, having seen Ireland, sorry Leinster, tonight, they deserve a higher billing.............certainly they will give England a run based on their backs tonight!

If the Northampton fullback plays for England, then I'll drop their(England's) ranking down to wooden spoon :p

Think it was the fullback anyway, was abysmal (may have been the winger), had the game on silent whilst watching tv.

If the Northampton fullback plays for England, then I'll drop their(England's) ranking down to wooden spoon :p

Think it was the fullback anyway, was abysmal (may have been the winger), had the game on silent whilst watching tv.

Full back was Pisi, do not think that he qualifies for England, who was so out of position he could have been standing on the M1!!

Pisi? The Samoan international?
b6LTDp1.jpg

Latest posts