• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Apparently the government is looking at meddling with student loans again so they are paid back at a lower income and take 40 years to be written off. Let's just call it what it is, it's a graduate tax. It will hit the poorer families who needed the larger loans to get through uni. Turns out they can also retrospectively apply it, nowhere else can you arbitrarily and unilaterally change the terms of a contract except with this. Lots of students who signed up thinking the terms were 1 thing could find them changed after they have already incurred the debts.

Tories yet again hitting the youngest and poorest to foot the bill of the old and wealthy.

Also rumours of a snap election being planned for before the end of the year.

Snap election end of the year would be interesting.

So after yesterday speech (it was long but nobody actually listens to the full thing) for the most part seamed to have gone down pretty well considering how much of a horlicks the rest of Labour conference was Starmer has gone and ******* opened up "the discourse". He wasn't even invited to have an opinion....

Like I'm not really for Bond being a woman but I'm not going to go nuts over it. But yeah talk about a topic to wade in headfirst into some folks won't even accept a Bond who is a PoC...

I mean even the James Bond producers have said they would rather do a different story for a woman.

The whole Jane Bond thing is a minority from what I see granted vocal.

(Although I do think James Bond as a franchise isn't strong enough for spin offs).

Apparently the government is looking at meddling with student loans again so they are paid back at a lower income and take 40 years to be written off. Let's just call it what it is, it's a graduate tax. It will hit the poorer families who needed the larger loans to get through uni. Turns out they can also retrospectively apply it, nowhere else can you arbitrarily and unilaterally change the terms of a contract except with this. Lots of students who signed up thinking the terms were 1 thing could find them changed after they have already incurred the debts.

Tories yet again hitting the youngest and poorest to foot the bill of the old and wealthy.
Well to be extra grumpy Labour introduced it in the first place. I "finally" finished paying mine back this month, the impact it has in early career in terms of impact of financial power can't be underestimated.

But yeah in 2 years I think we starting writing off plan 1 loans, it was always going to lead to jerryrigging all because a generation that got their education for free decided they didn't want to partake in social contract they pay for the next generations.

Well to be extra grumpy Labour introduced it in the first place. I "finally" finished paying mine back this month, the impact it has in early career in terms of impact of financial power can't be underestimated.

But yeah in 2 years I think we starting writing off plan 1 loans, it was always going to lead to jerryrigging all because a generation that got their education for free decided they didn't want to partake in social contract they pay for the next generations.
I just missed the first increase by labour before I started uni. In fact I deferred so I was paying 1,200 whilst everyone else was on £3000. When they put it up again I said at the time it was nothing more than a stunt to lower the national deficit. Simply the government doesn't count loans as part of the national deficit. Therefore they wiped £6000 pounds per student roughly from the national deficit. (I haven't kept up with fees, do they still pretend that unis should be charging less than £9k for some courses or are they now just a blanket £9k?).

This issue was always going to arise that many people would not pay back the entirety of their loans and this was always going to leave future governments out of pocket, because money was spent that in theory was supposed to be paid back, but gets wiped away, so actually the income of future governments is affected. Essentially they threw the issue down the line. The government is now realising that they are out of pocket and so are trying to fix it.

As for the legality I honestly can't see how it can be legal. Expect a lot of court challenges over it. Honestly I'm so glad I got in before the first top up fees and managed to pay it all back quickly.

WTF? Only a suspended sentence and disqualified from driving for 3 years for drug driving and this; injuring the toll booth operator who continues to receive treatment for their injuries. Lucky he didn't kill anyone. :mad:

Last edited:
Haven't been to a Spoons pub since pre pandemic.

Loads of pubs would be under the same position. They would have incurred trading losses, which for tax purposes they can carry back two years against profits earned pre Pandemic. So, they will get back something more from the Government.

Scottish Covid Passport app still super broken.

Unneccessary, poorly planned, **** tech and no solutions - typical of the SNP

243525424_2641956429446169_641416942656094848_n.jpg

Latest posts