• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Bit of a non story tbh... His friend let him stay in his villa and didn't charge him for it?
Problem is you see it as an isolated incident and if it was only this Johnson's political history then maybe. However, it is part of a continuing trend where the government is trying to remove all transparency. Johnson has already been warned about his own conduct in terms of parliamentary standards. His government has also planned to strip the electoral watchdog of powers to prosecute, which coincidently was announced within a month of Johnson being investigated over his flat refurbishment. The continually engage in gas-lighting when proven wrong. They spend more time investigating who took a video of a minister breaking covid rules than they did on that minister's behaviour, let alone bother to look into his use of private emails for government business which included spending £11 million on a failed test and trace app which involved close acquaintances of those in government. Further the fact that government was found to be unlawful in not publishing data on how contracts were handed out and yet still refused to do it. They have also been found to be unlawful now on multiple occasions in various areas of their government none of which have led to any kind of resignation or disciplinary action. The supressing of reports, including Russian interference report, which was promised by Johnson after the election and then never appeared. Attempts to circumvent parliament during the Brexit negotiations.

Take this holiday. If it was such a non-story why didn't they confirm it straight away. Why did they even spend time trying to hide it or not bring attention to it. They could have just confirmed it and moved on.

Now while I'm sure individually you don't think all of them are big deals, when you add them together they clearly show a government that doesn't want to be scrutinised or held accountable in anyway.

This is where I agree with sock, the villa is a possible back scratching intangible benefit. CfC on the other hand could be constituted as actual impropriety in accepting barred funds by a private individual for potential influence. Unlike Accurri (which really should of bought him down in normal times) he's still in the same office that misdemeanour occured. Add in the extra fact its because they didn't want the already completely intangible to most decor (or re-decor) is had abilitiy to strike a cord.

Its about picking the battles, not going after everyone.
Oh yeah forgot Accurri too.

In other news. **** Claudia Webb getting off with a slap on the wrist.

Vile behaviour
Yes and I agree she should be have been punished further. I'm not read up on the details, but how she is still an MP is beyond me. I know she's no longer with Labour, but do her constituents not want her recalled?

In other news. **** Claudia Webb getting off with a slap on the wrist.

Vile behaviour
Absolute lunacy and the sentence being deferred due to previous good behaviour doesn't make much sense considering this was over a prolonged period of time. I couldn't understand that being a reason for a spur of the moment impulsive action but this was protracted and done in full awareness of what she was doing. Utterly vile.

Yes and I agree she should be have been punished further. I'm not read up on the details, but how she is still an MP is beyond me. I know she's no longer with Labour, but do her constituents not want her recalled?

Apparently a recall is looking likely but the timescales are uncertain.

Trying to recall an MP is bloody hard work, being found guilty of a criminal offence should be automatic but its not. Its why 99% of the time they have to fall on their swords.

I see Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott all gave character witnesses to save her ass. And some people wonder why they are disliked by the public at large (no I don't understand why Johnson gets away with).

You add the "in exchange for a peerage" but there is 0 suggestion that is the case, you've just straight up ignored the most probable explanation - that this was a friend letting another friend stay at his house, to make up a narrative that suits you...

The Paterson case is a shitshow I agree but focus on actual accusations of sleaze not stuff which is most likely nothing
And how naive do you sound to think one had absolutely nothing to do with the other. Just a friend as you say. Let's accept it for what it is: A PM - who is in a position of the highest authority in the land accepting free holiday accommodation, of upwards of £25,000 a week if rented on a commercial basis, from a Billionaire (who lost his seat in the last election) and then subsequently with whom he granted a life peerage to - a position of influence and authority, which tax free allowances/expense benefits, to sit in the House of Lord and retain his job as an Environment Minister as a result. Not necessarily the right order in your mind, but rarely does it, but that is part and parcel of cronyism.

And it's one on top of the other as I said - it's part of a pattern with Bojo. As I said perception is everything and this PM has no insight whatsoever into what right and wrong is.

And how naive do you sound to think one had absolutely nothing to do with the other. Just a friend as you say. Let's accept it for what it is: A PM - who is in a position of the highest authority in the land accepting free holiday accommodation, of upwards of £25,000 a week if rented on a commercial basis, from a Billionaire (who lost his seat in the last election) and then subsequently with whom he granted a life peerage to - a position of influence and authority, which tax free allowances/expense benefits, to sit in the House of Lord and retain his job as an Environment Minister as a result. Not necessarily the right order in your mind, but rarely does it, but that is part and parcel of cronyism.

And it's one on top of the other as I said - it's part of a pattern with Bojo. As I said perception is everything and this PM has no insight whatsoever into what right and wrong is.
Not subsequently at all - he was awarded a peerage in 2019 and the cited holiday was last month?

Short extract
In my view yesterday's vote on the report of the Commons Standards Committee was a very serious and damaging moment for Parliament and for public standards in this country.
It cannot be right that MPs should reject, after one short debate, the conclusions of the independent Commissioner for Standards and the House of Commons Committee on Standards - conclusions that arose from an investigation lasting two years.
It cannot be right to propose an overhaul of the entire regulatory system in order to postpone or prevent sanctions in a very serious case of paid lobbying by an MP.
It cannot be right that this was accompanied by repeated attempts to question the integrity of the Commissioner for Standards herself, who is working within the system that the House of Commons agreed in 2010.
And it cannot be right to propose that the standards system in the House of Commons should be reviewed by a Select Committee chaired by a member of the ruling party, and with a majority of members from that same party. This extraordinary proposal is deeply at odds with the best traditions of British democracy. The political system in this country does not belong to one party, or even to one government. It is a common good that we have all inherited from our forebears and that we all have a responsibility to preserve and to improve.
The Seven Principles of Public Life, that all governments have espoused for over twenty five years, require that Ministers and MPs should show leadership in upholding ethical standards in public life. I find it hard to see how yesterday's actions in any way meet that test.

Do I really have to spell out what Cronyism is? Or do We have go through time lines and drawn the dots to join it up. It's Perception FFS!!!
In accusations of wrongdoing then joining the dots is pretty integral yeah.

I'm not saying there isn't any, just that this is a pretty stupid example to you use if you want to make an argument for a corrupt government (it appears that you're citing not being charged to stay at a friend's holiday home for a peerage given over 18months earlier)

Hi all, just for some context my wife is Sudanese and the military coup is still happening there. If anyone is willing to help out at all I have a letter you can copy and paste to your MP if you are willing to. Any support on this would be greatly appreciated.

{YOUR FULL ADDRESS}
{YOUR POSTCODE}
{DATE}

Dear {MP NAME},

My name is {YOUR NAME} and I am a constituent of {YOUR CONSTITUENCY}. I am writing to you because I am concerned about the ongoing reversal of Sudan's path to democracy. This is something that's particularly important to me as a citizen concerned with issues of freedom and human rights.

The people of Sudan have historically been engaged in an unrelenting struggle for freedom and democracy, steadfastly fighting off dictatorial military regimes since independence in 1956. Over two years ago, the people of Sudan yet again managed to remove a dictatorship after an endurance of three decades. They established a transitional civilian government to lead the country back to democracy.

Last Monday October 25th, 2021, a military coup took place removing the civilian Council of Ministers headed by Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok. This coup is in fact a significant threat to the stability and territorial integrity of the country as well as a setback to the aspirations of the Sudanese people for freedom, peace and justice, and is certain to take the country back to yesterdays of the state-sponsored wars, injustices and human rights violations against its people.

While Her Majesty's Government and Parliament have already condemned the coup, I believe they should continue to take any steps necessary to help restore the transitional civilian government. They must exercise their leverage to compel the military junta to secure the immediate release of Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok and all other detained officials and activists. The military junta must be forced to stop targeting civilian protesters and bring to an immediate end the killing and bloodshed that the country has seen since the morning of the coup.

I am asking you to take the following steps to address my concerns:

To write to the Secretary of State for Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Affairs raising the issue and requesting that the government continues to support the people of Sudan in any way they can and to put pressure on the military junta to return Sudan back to civilian rule.

To table a written question to the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office asking what steps they will take to protect democracy in Sudan, and if the Secretary of State will make a statement.

To continue to raise this issue in parliament, in the media and on social media, drawing attention to this important issue and generating international support for democracy in Sudan.

In your response, I would like you to outline the ways you intend to address this on my behalf. If you're unable to address this personally, I would like to request that you escalate my letter to the relevant Minister or Department.

Please do keep me informed of any progress made.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully,

{YOUR NAME}

All just a load of non-stories tbh.

No way they are in anyway connected or represent a pattern of corruption, greed and general lack of transparency within the current government, yep no way at all.

Literally one of them is an actual story (the top one)
All just a load of non-stories tbh.

No way they are in anyway connected or represent a pattern of corruption, greed and general lack of transparency within the current government, yep no way at all.

Literally one of them is an actual story (the top one)
You think offering a peerage to someone who has been found to have been corrupt and took ages to fall on their sword is a non story? Bearing in mind these can't be viewed in isolation, they are part of a now extremely clear trend. There is an extremely simple test that can be done in politics (or many other things) to determine if your view is partisan or not. Replace the name of the party involved and if you suddenly feel it isn't acceptable or it in any way changes your opinion on it, your view is being skewed by partisanship.

Jeremy Corbyn stays for free at the villa of someone he made a lord and, after trying to change the rules to prevent punishing a Labour member found guilty of breaking ethics rules regarding corruption, is looking to make the now disgraced MP a lord. If that reads like a set of stories you would get angry at then there is no excuse to not get angry now.

So let's get this straight, the Tories have always been the major Eurosceptics, the Tories pushed for a referendum, the Tories overwhelmingly made up the leave vote, the Tories negotiated the exit deal after the Tories triggered article 50 before they were ready. The Tories then changed their leader, the Tories then ripped up their own deal and started again, the Tories said they would never push back the deadline, the Tories pushed back the deadline, the Tories negotiated a new deal after many problems and initially calling it "oven ready", the Tories then reneged on their own deal after saying it was fantastic, the Tories repeatedly went back on all the things THEY proposed and now the Tories want to again trigger another article because the deal the Tories negotiated to solve the N.Ireland issue after the Tories ignored the previous deal the Tories negotiated, has turned out to not be that great. Well damn, I wonder who the hell saw this coming?

After all this the stupid twat Frost dares to say he should have any say in how to fix a problem that is overwhelmingly of his own making!? How the **** can he say everything now is wrong and simultaneously take absolutely zero responsibility for it. This is the deal this stupid ******* negotiated! It's his ******* deal!

I'm am absolutely furious at these lying, selfish, greedy, hypocritical ********. It's never their ******* fault despite literally absolutely everything in this being stuff they did. How in the name of all that is holy can anyone still support these slimy creeps!? HOW!? At some point after 10 ******* years in power you need to take ownership of your actions, the Tory party has not done this a single ******* time. Party of personal responsibility my arse, Teflon coated sloped shoulders the whole damn lot of them.

**** them and **** anyone who dares try to make excuses for them. This is unacceptable. The time for being reasonable with these scum is long past as they have shown they aren't going to be reasonable themselves.

Last edited:

Latest posts