• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Backtracking beginning

I despair we literally have a government run by opinion poll and will do anything they can get away with until they get a real backlash.

And then try to portray themselves as the reasonable lot who "listen to the people", and a large chunk of the electorate will lap it up. The reality that they are only doing this because they realised it could stick and cause serious damage will be lost. If they thought they could get away with it with even a mild backlash they definitely would have gone ahead, as shown by the fact they DID try to go ahead with it.

Can anyone actually name the last time the Tories properly punished on of their own or even accepted any wrong doing had occurred? Labour the Lib Dems have both issued apologies and punished their own members for far less but I can't think of the last time the Tories did. The big joke is the whole anti-Semitism thing. Yes there are/were problems in the Labour party but the fact that the anti-Semitism in the Tory party has been completely ignored, despite being pretty bad itself, just shows the complete double standard.

Gaslighting: Engage!

They'll spin it as a massive overreaction by the opposition and they were never ACTUALLY going to do it

And then try to portray themselves as the reasonable lot who "listen to the people", and a large chunk of the electorate will lap it up. The reality that they are only doing this because they realised it could stick and cause serious damage will be lost. If they thought they could get away with it with even a mild backlash they definitely would have gone ahead, as shown by the fact they DID try to go ahead with it.

Can anyone actually name the last time the Tories properly punished on of their own or even accepted any wrong doing had occurred? Labour the Lib Dems have both issued apologies and punished their own members for far less but I can't think of the last time the Tories did. The big joke is the whole anti-Semitism thing. Yes there are/were problems in the Labour party but the fact that the anti-Semitism in the Tory party has been completely ignored, despite being pretty bad itself, just shows the complete double standard.
They never did for the expenses scandal only those that were caught (I was reading it earlier) whilst Lab set up its own internal review board to investigate the issue.

Its one of those things how many MP's actually lost their seats at the next election after the expenses scandal? A few were deselected but many fell on thier swords.

As afar as I can tell the only ones were McNulty and Laws
In my constituency, Julia Goldsworthy went from an almost 2,000 majority to losing her seat by 66 votes in 2010. To this day, any mention of her is usually met with references to the expensive rocking chair that she ended up repaying the cost of.

In my constituency, Julia Goldsworthy went from an almost 2,000 majority to losing her seat by 66 votes in 2010. To this day, any mention of her is usually met with references to the expensive rocking chair that she ended up repaying the cost of.
Yeah for some reason she's not listed on wikipedia I think its because it only lists Lab/Con apart from Laws due to being a government ministers at the time.

Looking at historic results thats one hell of a complex one to unpack (due to boundary changes) but in 15 years its gone from 65% LD/Lab to 43%

Looking at historic results thats one hell of a complex one to unpack (due to boundary changes) but in 15 years its gone from 65% LD/Lab to 43%
Despite having lived here for all that time, I can't offer much insight. The Camborne / Redruth area is one of the poorest in Western Europe, so not exactly what you would imagine as true blue. Conventional wisdom would have said that the loss of Falmouth from the constituency would have resulted in a decrease in Conservative vote share. The only reason I can see for the Conservative success is a very high elderly population. Other than Julia Goldsworthy (with her tarnished reputation), there hasn't been a strong candidate who has contested Eustace's seat.

Despite having lived here for all that time, I can't offer much insight. The Camborne / Redruth area is one of the poorest in Western Europe, so not exactly what you would imagine as true blue. Conventional wisdom would have said that the loss of Falmouth from the constituency would have resulted in a decrease in Conservative vote share. The only reason I can see for the Conservative success is a very high elderly population. Other than Julia Goldsworthy (with her tarnished reputation), there hasn't been a strong candidate who has contested Eustace's seat.
Woodstock never ended

Its almost hilarious.

The way he tries to present himself as some poor, suffering victim is a ******* disgrace. Should have fallen on his sword ages ago. He got tons of money for being corrupt and is upset he got caught. Boo hoo, he can **** right off. You know he's going to just waltz into some nice cosy little position on some board of some company probably being paid at least 6 figures.

The peerage is worth a few bob, surely? :p
Haha he justified his entire peerage with the Lord Adonis confrontation in my eyes lol.

But there are far more serious allegations of sleaze than a friend staying in someone's holiday home, devalues the entire argument into looking like a hit job tbh

Bit of a non story tbh... His friend let him stay in his villa and didn't charge him for it?
For ordinary folk, that is a taxable Non-cash benefit in kind (tax and NIC consequences) but for Bojo and Co just a perk of the job :rolleyes: , in exchange for a peerage. This on top of the cash for curtains as well. So, not just a "friend" as you say and nothing to see here. Perception is everything here, especially for a PM, who tried to change the system to get Paterson off the hook, otherwise such cronyism/sleeze just becomes normalised, which it has under his Government. But all ok because it's been declared in register of members' interest - which must be the sleeziest register in the country.

And people wonder why they mistrust and cynicism of politicians is so high and that there is one rule for one and one rule for another. Standards, what standards?

For ordinary folk, that is a taxable Non-cash benefit in kind (tax and NIC consequences) but for Bojo and Co just a perk of the job :rolleyes: , in exchange for a peerage. This on top of the cash for curtains as well. So, not just a "friend" as you say and nothing to see here. Perception is everything here, especially for a PM, who tried to change the system to get Paterson off the hook, otherwise such cronyism/sleeze just becomes normalised, which it has under his Government. But all ok because it's been declared in register of members' interest - which must be the sleeziest register in the country.

And people wonder why they mistrust and cynicism of politicians is so high and that there is one rule for one and one rule for another. Standards, what standards?
You add the "in exchange for a peerage" but there is 0 suggestion that is the case, you've just straight up ignored the most probable explanation - that this was a friend letting another friend stay at his house, to make up a narrative that suits you...

The Paterson case is a shitshow I agree but focus on actual accusations of sleaze not stuff which is most likely nothing

This on top of the cash for curtains as well.
This is where I agree with sock, the villa is a possible back scratching intangible benefit. CfC on the other hand could be constituted as actual impropriety in accepting barred funds by a private individual for potential influence. Unlike Accurri (which really should of bought him down in normal times) he's still in the same office that misdemeanour occured. Add in the extra fact its because they didn't want the already completely intangible to most decor (or re-decor) is had abilitiy to strike a cord.

Its about picking the battles, not going after everyone.

Latest posts