• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Has that been a regular occurrence in anywhere with voter ID out of curiosity?
Doesn't matter its been proven in trials to disenfranchise voters to a vastly higher magnitude than actual voter fraud.

And that's pretty much the beginning and the end of the argument for me everything else is irrelevant.

Doesn't matter its been proven in trials to disenfranchise voters to a vastly higher magnitude than actual voter fraud.

And that's pretty much the beginning and the end of the argument for me everything else is irrelevant.
Well don't bring it up as a point if it doesn't matter.

I'm sure people are also disenfranchised by your stretch of a definition by having to register to vote at all.

Free for all rugby match and we'll see who wins?

I'm sure people are also disenfranchised by your stretch of a definition by having to register to vote at all.
Let's see now,

Remove having to confirm yearly to the register ie. no response should be de facto still living there.

Automatic enrollment to the register (not on the open register) once eligible. Part of legal documentation of buying or letting a place of residence. Coming of age. Becoming a citizen. That sort of thing not an extra chore separate to those events.

Allow the presiding officer to allow voters with ID to vote even if not registered. (This enfranchises people, government not suggesting we allow this though).

We should be looking at removing barriers to vote not installing them.

Listening to Courtney Lawes this morning. He has some interesting takes on family values and BLM the organisation. Likes to go down YouTube rabbit holes apparently.

Christ, even Tindal is saying "do your own research" now. Yeah, watch some right wing YouTube videos like Courtney blatantly has. Going to turn this ****** off.

I got tired about talking about BLM last year Lawes made some fair points in August last year saying a clear differential between sentiment and organisation and trying to separate the two. Which is fair critsism of some groups calling itself BLM is fine we should be critical of all groups and their goals. Some people just did hear 'defund the police' and then completely dismissed the entire organisation or any of it goals or points.

I'm also up for people doing "thier own research" sadly this does tend to be a right wing conspiracy dogwhistle nonsense like Flat Earthers like to say. Yeah go look things up FROM CREDIBLE SOURCES nobody ever says that last bit though.....

There is no BLM the Organisation, though. This is the problem. It's very much like how the right in America like to convince people that ANTIFA is an organisation when it isn't.

Doing your own research are for scientists and academics. By all means research their work but the people like David Icke who say do your own research know that those people will just go straight to some obscure YouTube videos and think "yep, I've done some great research here"

There is no BLM the Organisation, though. This is the problem. It's very much like how the right in America like to convince people that ANTIFA is an organisation when it isn't.
Well there's a movement and a website that takes money https://blacklivesmatter.com/about/
Which has a manifesto/demands https://blacklivesmatter.com/blm-demands/

I think its fair to say there is an organisation that calls itself BLM. Whether they can hold the one true claim to represent the BLM movement is an entirely different thing

ANTIFA on the other hand really is a completely nebulous movement of people with shared sentiments.

Well there's a movement and a website that takes money https://blacklivesmatter.com/about/
Which has a manifesto/demands https://blacklivesmatter.com/blm-demands/

I think its fair to say there is an organisation that calls itself BLM. Whether they can hold the one true claim to represent the BLM movement is an entirely different thing

ANTIFA on the other hand really is a completely nebulous movement of people with shared sentiments.
If he said organisations and pluralised the word then I'd take less issue as then you immediately have to clarify what specific organisation you're talking about. This is why it's a clever little trick by the right to take a movement comprising of tens of millions of people, taking a few individuals in that movement and saying this lot are the organisation when,like ANTIFA, the whole thing is decentralised.

Lawes is a genuine far right nut job,
Around the time of the last election (or maybe the one before) he was posting a bunch of UKIP level Tory nonsense, which he then deleted because I imagine he was breaking some sort of social media guidelines laid down by Saints or England

Lawes is a genuine far right nut job,
Around the time of the last election (or maybe the one before) he was posting a bunch of UKIP level Tory nonsense, which he then deleted because I imagine he was breaking some sort of social media guidelines laid down by Saints or England
Oh really, that's a shame. I was unaware of any of this and didn't realise he was political at all but listening to him this morning I had some concerns. He started off on something about being financially secure before having kids and I was like well yeah obviously but life isn't always like that mate. Anyway, he's entitled to his views and as long as his heart is in the right place that's the main thing I suppose.

Oh really, that's a shame. I was unaware of any of this and didn't realise he was political at all but listening to him this morning I had some concerns. He started off on something about being financially secure before having kids and I was like well yeah obviously but life isn't always like that mate. Anyway, he's entitled to his views and as long as his heart is in the right place that's the main thing I suppose.
What is financially secure? Like I'm in my mid 30's, earn above the average wage, married to a second income earner, have a mortgage yet I know full if were made redundant tomorrow it wouldn't take that long before my finances put me in a very bad place.

Yeah the timing of him saying this (during a global pandemic) was very tasteless

My friend got made redundant twice in the space of 12 months, during covid - before that she had a steady job, stable income, in a field of work she loved....which has now not been active since last march (events/theatre) - if she'd started a family at any point before 2020 she'd be screwed

Yeah the timing of him saying this (during a global pandemic) was very tasteless

My friend got made redundant twice in the space of 12 months, during covid - before that she had a steady job, stable income, in a field of work she loved....which has now not been active since last march (events/theatre) - if she'd started a family at any point before 2020 she'd be screwed
Its one of those things whilst some people are I don't think some people realise the impact of suddenly being out of work can do to someone until it actually happens. I don't think I was fully aware until it happened to me. Outgoing by me and my other half were barely covered so we had a choice pay rent or don't eat. The government after assessment decided we didn't need any additional help. We had to move in with family, other half parents treated me like dirt. Due to the nature of work I do and the area resided in at the time finding a job was bloody hard and even when I did it was 2.5 months before I could even start the roll. That all had a huge impact on my mental health. Also because of the nature of it all it probably stalled my career by a good 5 years as I had to take any role I could rather than selecting a good career move.

I don't blame the guy thought he may have seen similar happen with his parents and whilst he might be aware of what he has to do post Rugby to earn money his path has been pretty stable since he first became a regular for Saints.

So if the measures in the Queen's Speech all become law, then social media companies will have a duty to 'act on content that is lawful but still harmful such as abuse that falls below the threshold of a criminal offence' and may be fined if they don't.
But universities, colleges and students' unions will have a duty to permit such speech or they may be sued.
You could be invited to speak at my old uni, and they'd have to allow it, but wouldn't be allowed to post clips of the event on Twitter.
Make sense of that.

The UK government has warned that the special Brexit arrangements for Northern Ireland as they stand are unworkable, in an intervention made at a sensitive phase in talks with the EU on the controversial border checks.

After a visit to meet business leaders in Belfast on Tuesday, the Brexit minister, Lord Frost urged the EU to take a pragmatic approach in talks.

And he warned that the UK would "continue to consider all our options" in relation to the protocol, which in the past has included unilateral action to suspend it in part.

It's as if the UK government didn't have negations with the EU on the NI Protocol, agree the deal, then get it passed through parliament.

It's as if the UK government didn't have negations with the EU on the NI Protocol, agree the deal, then get it passed through parliament.
I've said for ages that a satirist couldn't come up with a more ridiculous storyline for what actually happened through the whole Brexit process and yet it still keeps giving...

Blair speaking a lot of sense in the new statesman. Pretty depressing really. Labour are screwed. The Tories aren't going anywhere this decade.

Latest posts