• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Actually what's more embarrassing/ depressing is that this lot aren't going anywhere anytime soon and unless Boris stands down/forced to stand down, we've got another 7 or so years left of this ****.

It's beyond embarrassing but they say you get the leaders you deserve.
The things is, more people didn't vote for him than did. In a proportional system, the Tories would not be in power. It's a quirk of geography and how their support is spread that is giving them this much power. A proportional system would return the majority of votes to left wing parties but it fails in a first past the post system because the vote is split across 4 parties (Labour, Lib Dem, Green & SNP in Scotland) whilst the right wing vote is basically in 1 party. The UK has the majority consistently voting left but consistently getting right wing government.

The things is, more people didn't vote for him than did. In a proportional system, the Tories would not be in power. It's a quirk of geography and how their support is spread that is giving them this much power. A proportional system would return the majority of votes to left wing parties but it fails in a first past the post system because the vote is split across 4 parties (Labour, Lib Dem, Green & SNP in Scotland) whilst the right wing vote is basically in 1 party. The UK has the majority consistently voting left but consistently getting right wing government.
Yeah completely agree. I'd actually go as far as to say it's an undemocratic system (and I'd say the same about the electoral college in the states)

As you rightly point out, the problem is our **** electoral system that permits the Tories to win successive elections and parliamentary landslides on 43% of the vote and then the press bang on about the "overwhelming support" for the Tory government when their polling has never once topped 50%

It ain't changing anytime soon though I guess.

FPTP is downright undemocratic. It literally allowed a two tier class system to be prevalent in the UK until 1998, the fact its use is continued after that is one of many examples that shows just what an afterthought the six counties are to Westminster.

Worrying in the context of today's politics and Article 16 because there's literally no chance Westminster make a wise decision, the education on what they claim to be their own country just isn't there. Same with their recent allies in the DUP who fail to see their "wee country" (bollix) is a far better place now than it was 30 years ago and just see any concession to Nationalist or Cross Community* parties as a threat to a union which is literally no good for anyone.

It's barely worth going into the actual real world effects of article 16 because that's not what the parties in power base their decisions on when it comes to NI. It's always been about optics and nothing else since partition. Broken partition, broken region, limiting the potential of its inhabitants. And, not that I want them in power in the south, but when Sinn Fein are the dominant party across the island of Ireland following the next GEs in Ireland and the UK, Westminster aren't going to be ready for, or capable of dealing with the hassle.

*If you can call the alliance that when they are in fact Unionist rather than a party willing to support the desires of the majority.

Literal hours after they asked me how much I'd recommend them to someone else.

Literal hours after they asked me how much I'd recommend them to someone else.
Interesting, so they are going into special administration, not normal administration. Basically instead of another company taking over, the government is. This seems to be a power introduced after the banking crisis for companies essentially too big to fail. First time it's been used. This will cost the tax-payer as the government will need to pump money in unless it can sell it off. Definitely shows that the government hasn't solved the issue or even got control of what is happening in the energy sector.

For you personally it does mean you'll keep your current tariff, but not sure what will happen in the longer term. If prices continue to go up and you eventually do have to switch that will cost you.

Chrystul Kizer, a 19-year-old facing a life sentence in prison after being charged with killing the man she says forced her into sex trafficking, was released from jail on Monday after two years in a Wisconsin detention center awaiting her trial.

I'm all for it but hopefully it will be fair and we'll see more police go to jail when they've been naughty. Police seem to lose their jobs instead of getting locked up a lot of the time.

I'm not against it but it isn't actually going to deter anyone from killing anyone so its ultimately a waste of time. Reading stuff from Barristers and the ilk they always get ****** off with this stuff as tougher sentences (or more likely not actually tougher just perceptually tougher as the person would of got life anyway) make people look tough on crime. Meanwhile the entire justice system has a huge backlog and is breaking everyday.

I can see the rationale; but I doubt that I'll ever agree with mandatory sentencing as it removes nuance and discretion from those who best understand the legalities (judges).
I'm also far from convinced that it makes any difference to anything, as life sentence is already an option, and more-or-less forgone conclusion anyway.

Beyond the imaging of "being tough on crime" in a way that's usually counter-productive in terms of criminal justice, but very productive in terms of making conservatives feel pleased with themselves.

Latest posts