• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks vs Springboks, July 10th 2010

I'm not going to try defend myself to Iron Mike. If he thinks I have a problem with black rugby players then good for him.

Anyway, here are my picks for probable outcomes:

We can probably expect the ABs to use their backs alot. South Africa will struggle on attack because of a completely paceless back-line (except Habana obviously). Jean isn't slow, but he isn't on par in terms of speed with most wingers. Olivier, Fourie and Kirchner are also not fast runners. This could very well be problematic, especially with the prop-paced Januarie at scrum-half. This is why I expect to see alot of play from the AB back-line.

They will also have to limit the ammount of line-outs in the game as the Boks will school them in that area - even though Donelly's jumping is looking very decent. The Bok loose trio is as always superb, and I expect the Boks to completely dominate at the breakdown, especially with Francois Louw's current form. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't dreading scrum time. While Jannie du Plessis has proven to be a solid scrummager, he seems to lose focus and give away penalties after enough time has elapsed. Smit's only real strong point these days is his accuracy when throwing in the line-out. I'm not his biggest fan, but I have to commend him on how rarely he throws the ball in skew. Everything else though is not up to standard. Gurthro has hit a very strange hot streak with his form. Just last year hardly anyone even wanted to see him in a Bulls jersey, and now he's playing some fine rugby. If he returns to his poor form (which sorry to say, will happen some day), Owen Franks is going to eat him alive.

I feel that Jane, Nonu, McCaw and Vito will be the stand-out players for the ABs. I would say Carter but he seems to be very up-and-down these days. I don't think Rockococo will do too well against the Springboks, who look very strong defensivly and won't allow him the space he needs. Why I feel Jane will play a huge part in this game is because Kirchner is simply going to kick the ball to him and Mils all day, and I'm sure we all know how Jane counter-attacks.

Deffinitely going to be a close one and to be completely honest.....I'm stumped when it comes to picking a winner

I'm really enjoying your posts recently. I agree with a lot of what you've said there.

One thing that has been bothering me is our centre partnership. The Olivier-Fourie partnership hasn't been thoroughly tested, and even when they did play together it didn't bear the desired results. Once again Olivier goes anonymous in any Test, even in games we dominant (vs France) he just doesn't feature. However he deserves a crack at the 12 jersey, he had a great S14, he just needs to do it. Now.

Also not happy with De Villiers on the wing, honestly. Aplon should be there. All Black-Springbok games are always very physically intense, especially in the beginning, so maybe PdV will let Aplon loose in the 2nd half. I imagine he must be one hell of a impact player.

I am getting a bit nervous guys :( This whole time I have been so confident about a victory over the AB's but now that it's almost game time, my body starts shaking a bit. It's going to be a very busy weekend for me anyway.

On saturday I will watch the Springboks - All Blacks match at 9:30, then in the afternoon Griquas - Sharks at 3, followed by the 3rd/4th place match between Germany and Uruguay (my favorite national football team) at the FIFA World Cup. If all goes well, I will still have enough energy left for the World Cup final where my own country, Holland, will play for the cup for the first time since 1978!.

I just hope we start off good with the Springboks trashing the All Blacks but with Aplon on the bench, JdV on the wing, Olivier at the 12 position and without Bismarck, Steyn and du Preez I don't see it being an easy victory

but with Aplon on the bench, JdV on the wing, Olivier at the 12 position and without Bismarck, Steyn and du Preez I don't see it being an easy victory

No Bismarck is a blessing, trust me. If Carter IS in good goal-kicking form, Bismarck would cost us the match because of all the penatlies he concedes. The only reason he didn't cost us last year was because the kickers were Donald for NZ and Giteau for Aus.

I was just mentioning the players absent. Bismarck wouldn't be in my starting line-up. Du Preez and Steyn however, would be the first I would put in the line-up together with Habana, Matfield and Smit.

I think this game will just be won by the AB. I think New Zealand will only win though if their backs can come out sparking. I think the springboks fowards are better te the AB and if SA canstarve new zealand of possestion I think they will definatly and player v player SA would probaly be better but I think the home advantage will give NZ an edge and I think the AB backs are superior.

I don't like de Villiers on the wing either, but I'm not sure Aplon is up to it at this level yet so I'll let him off.
SA's front row is a bit crap really, so that may also be a problem.
I'm gonna go for NZ by 6, because of where it is and the above problems.

The All Blacks are in good form at the moment, but I think that the Springboks might just sneak in a victory! Can't wait to see the haka again btw!

My problem is Zane Kirchner at fullback. He is very inexperienced and that showed at the Lions tour! I think that Francios Steyn should have been chosen and that De Villiers and Fourie should be the centre pare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot about Kirchner. He is the biggest dose of **** ever.

He must not be that crap if he is playing for his country and in the Super14. But I must agree that he is not the best full-back that South Africa has to offer. Aplon IMO would give much more if he was starting instead of Kirchner

NZ also didn't pick McCalister and Gear. Gear is a killer wing at the moment.

That will be a 2 or 3 week suspension for Bakkies because of that headbutt.

I feel Rossouw should be starting ahead of him anyway, he will probably get his chance next week

That will be a 2 or 3 week suspension for Bakkies because of that headbutt.

I feel Rossouw should be starting ahead of him anyway, he will probably get his chance next week

Should be longer ... that was disgusting regardless of him being held back. His previous record will go into account if he gets cited also.

Conrad Smith is quality, just wriggles through the tiniest gap,
SA lucky to be ahead, imo

Missed the first 7 minutes of the game but the Boks seems like they are on fire.

Should be longer ... that was disgusting regardless of him being held back. His previous record will go into account if he gets cited also.

Just remembered he was on a 2 year probation or something, so you are right, could be 5 or 6 weeks

And hes now got a yellow card... Some players really do not learn, hey?

Just remembered he was on a 2 year probation or something, so you are right, could be 5 or 6 weeks

And hes now got a yellow card... Some players really do not learn, hey?

Im never surprised by Botha! He is a thug.

Latest posts