All Ireland Championships 2014

Leonormous Boozer

Fat Boi
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
So the provincial championships took off properly today with Tyrone and Down playing out a cracker in the main event drawing 2-11 to 3-8. Elsewhere Laois beat Wicklow to earn the position as Dublin's first whipping boys, Longford beat Offaly to book a date with Wexford and Roscommon handily dispatched Leitrim.

The football championship is really a case of Dublin vs The Field this year with Dublin looking considerably stronger than the rest but winning back to back is always a huge challenge, Cork and Mayo look like the Dubs only challengers.

The hurling is wide open after last year. Will we see Claire kick on from last year, the big guns Kilkenny and Tipperary regain Liam McCarthy or see the likes of Cork, Limerick, Galway or Dublin overcome last years disappointment and mount a challenge?

There's nothing quite like the All Ireland Championships, despite rugby being my favourite sport, most of my best sporting memories are Championship games.

So the provincial championships took off properly today with Tyrone and Down playing out a cracker in the main event drawing 2-11 to 3-8. Elsewhere Laois beat Wicklow to earn the position as Dublin's first whipping boys, Longford beat Offaly to book a date with Wexford and Roscommon handily dispatched Leitrim.

The football championship is really a case of Dublin vs The Field this year with Dublin looking considerably stronger than the rest but winning back to back is always a huge challenge, Cork and Mayo look like the Dubs only challengers.

The hurling is wide open after last year. Will we see Claire kick on from last year, the big guns Kilkenny and Tipperary regain Liam McCarthy or see the likes of Cork, Limerick, Galway or Dublin overcome last years disappointment and mount a challenge?

There's nothing quite like the All Ireland Championships, despite rugby being my favourite sport, most of my best sporting memories are Championship games.

Tyrone game was a bore. Great finish but it's negative. Ulster football is getting alarmingly negative. In football everyone expects the Dubs but Derry and Cork will be threats and Mayo I think can do it. Duffy to score winner against Dubs in September.

In hurling, I'm a Clare man but can't see us doing it. There's been too much tinkering and Fitzy is doing to much celeb work and burning guys out. A lot of injuries. Kilkenny and Tipp are flying it but I would love to see Dublin do something this year. Last year was great year for them ( still believe had O'Dwyer not been sent off they'd have beaten Cork last year) and despite being in relegation battle in league they were competitive in every game.

Compared to some of the stuff that has been thrown out of Ulster in recent years that match was great. Brolly's black card looks to be working a treat. I really enjoyed the game, it started off slowly but had everything. Not the highest quality and neither of those teams will be around in September with some of the defence they showed but they played out a very enjoyable game in a part of the season that tends to throw out muck!

Ulster is the championship that will hold my attention for the next two weeks anyway. Derry Donegal next week, although Cork Waterford could be good, and then hopefully my Dad's county, Fermanagh, can beat my Mum's, Antrim, in a fortnights time.

Compared to some of the stuff that has been thrown out of Ulster in recent years that match was great. Brolly's black card looks to be working a treat. I really enjoyed the game, it started off slowly but had everything. Not the highest quality and neither of those teams will be around in September with some of the defence they showed but they played out a very enjoyable game in a part of the season that tends to throw out muck!

Ulster is the championship that will hold my attention for the next two weeks anyway. Derry Donegal next week, although Cork Waterford could be good, and then hopefully my Dad's county, Fermanagh, can beat my Mum's, Antrim, in a fortnights time.

Ulster is like Rabo. It a war of attrition. Can't see Waterford being any threat this year. Too much problems.
Fermanagh should do job against an Antrim team that were the worst county in all of league but yea black card was good today but it'll be interesting to see will it happen in a huge game from AI QFs in or if a team is on their 6th sub meaning a black carded player can't be replaced

Why dont the refs(?) get helmets yet everyone else on the pitch does?

Ok makes sense, probably liken it to cricket umpires.

In terms of scoring, I assume the deciding bit is how many times they put it in the net rather than through the posts?

Ok makes sense, probably liken it to cricket umpires.

In terms of scoring, I assume the deciding bit is how many times they put it in the net rather than through the posts?

Kind of.

A goal is worth three points.

So Kilkenny are opening a can of whoop-ass at the moment?

First time actually watching this tbh.. how heavy is the ball they use compared to say a cricket ball?

First time actually watching this tbh.. how heavy is the ball they use compared to say a cricket ball?

Not dissimilar in weight, although with a lot more give. I'd imagine a cricket ball would crack a hurl.

Yay I'm learning.

Actually enjoying it, dunno if its becuase its one sided but there doesnt seem to be any lulls in the action

Not dissimilar in weight, although with a lot more give. I'd imagine a cricket ball would crack a hurl.

As someone thats been hit in the eye, top of the head, knee and in the plums before a cricket ball does hurt but I think its heavier, cricket ball weighs about 5 3/4oz

Last edited:
Leinster Hurling is poor. Like even Dublin and Kilkenny only really come alive in All Ireland bit.

Leinster Hurling is poor. Like even Dublin and Kilkenny only really come alive in All Ireland bit.

The Leinster hurling championship is improving. Kilkenny, Galway and Dublin can all be there or there abouts. Wexford are certainly heading in the right direction, while Laois are finally sorting themselves out and aren't likely to be as ridiculously poor as they have been for the past number of years.

Leinster hurling's rep suffered from about 2005 on due to the utter dominance of Kilkenny. But as we saw in the latter stages of the All Ireland in those years, counties such as Limerick, Waterford and Tipp were just as likely to get smashed by Kilkenny as Wexford or Offaly.

Latest posts