• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Ireland Championships 2014

On dual issue in paper today Teddy McCarthy pretty much says same as me. In Cork and Galway talented guys in both codes sway towards Hurling where as Dublin it's toward Football. I'd say out of all top hurling counties Dublin is only 1 that can pull lads away from hurling easy

Results suggest otherwise for Galway (unless something has changed over recent years). P.Joyce has been the star man of Galway GAA in the last 20 yrs.

*The dual code Cork player whose name I forgot was O'Halpin.

Results suggest otherwise for Galway (unless something has changed over recent years). P.Joyce has been the star man of Galway GAA in the last 20 yrs.

But results are pointless. In terms of dual players. If 15 players from football only clubs win then how is results a base? I'm not saying Galway was football only but simply depending on where your from your either a hurler or football. Likewise Clare etc. in Clare, Cratloe are best football team here by country mile but the 2 Collins play because their father is coach but rest won't. This Is despite Conor McGrath and Cathal McInerney being 2 of best footballers in Munster. Re McInerney: Gouch Cooper said last year after his club narrowly beat Cratloe in Munster club final that if McInerney was in Kerry he'd easily have 2 all stars by now. Sean Og ultimately picked hurling for Cork.

But results are pointless. In terms of dual players. If 15 players from football only clubs win then how is results a base? I'm not saying Galway was football only but simply depending on where your from your either a hurler or football. Likewise Clare etc. in Clare, Cratloe are best football team here by country mile but the 2 Collins play because their father is coach but rest won't. This Is despite Conor McGrath and Cathal McInerney being 2 of best footballers in Munster. Re McInerney: Gouch Cooper said last year after his club narrowly beat Cratloe in Munster club final that if McInerney was in Kerry he'd easily have 2 all stars by now. Sean Og ultimately picked hurling for Cork.

Can't just dismiss results.

Galway have been more successful in football, a much harder competition, than hurling.

Can't just dismiss results.

Galway have been more successful in football, a much harder competition, than hurling.

But how's that to do with dual players.
Also I'd disagree it's harder as hurling is a lot more competitive and before qualifiers munster teams always had harder task for hurling but again wouldn't say results are sole indicator.

For what it worth.
Galway football have won 9 All Ireland's out of 17 finals.
Galway hurling have won 4 All Ireland's out of 22 finals.

Last edited:

Joe Canning would suggest otherwise! Arguably the most naturally talented hurler of the last 10-15 years, up there with both Shefflin and Carey.

But how's that to do with dual players.
Also I'd disagree it's harder as hurling is a lot more competitive and before qualifiers munster teams always had harder task for hurling but again wouldn't say results are sole indicator.

For what it worth.
Galway football have won 9 All Ireland's out of 17 finals.
Galway hurling have won 4 All Ireland's out of 22 finals.

That football is harder and more competitive is not up for debate. The half dozen teams that play hurling and Kilkenny with their three billion all Ireland's does the game no credibility.

So Galway have a better football team than hurling team. Exactly my point.

Tyrone football have won 3 All Irelands out of 5 finals
Tyrone hurling have won 0 All Ireland's out of 0 finals.

Are we stronger at football or hurling?

That football is harder and more competitive is not up for debate. The half dozen teams that play hurling and Kilkenny with their three billion all Ireland's does the game no credibility.

So Galway have a better football team than hurling team. Exactly my point.

Tyrone football have won 3 All Irelands out of 5 finals
Tyrone hurling have won 0 All Ireland's out of 0 finals.

Are we stronger at football or hurling?

But how would you class football harder before qualifiers were introduced?
And in hurling a lot more teams compete at the highest end. Yes Kilkenny have much higher win rate but I would disagree with your views.
How exactly have Galway a better football team than hurling?
I'm not saying that hurlers are better but just you don't make a lot of sense. Yes Tyrone are better at football but that's simply because it's not a strong hold for hurling. Maybe it's harder for you to understand as your not from a dual playing county but again your point isn't strong

I have to agree with SimonG here, those stats show that Galway have historically been better at football when you consider that under the old championship format they'd have reached the semi final every year with Connacht being so poor. Galway are a county that are seemingly only competitive on one front at a time, when the hurlers are good the footballers are bad and vice versa, they're currently taking a shift back towards football. They are really quite a unique county considering they can be either a hurling or football county depending on the time.

I have to agree with SimonG here, those stats show that Galway have historically been better at football when you consider that under the old championship format they'd have reached the semi final every year with Connacht being so poor. Galway are a county that are seemingly only competitive on one front at a time, when the hurlers are good the footballers are bad and vice versa, they're currently taking a shift back towards football. They are really quite a unique county considering they can be either a hurling or football county depending on the time.

But on contrary if qualifiers never existed Galway would've won 1 less football AI and more hurling but point is yes there's stats and arguments for both sides but no clear answer. For example in rugby (I know a bit different) but Clermont could've been argubally 1 of greatest European sides IF Leinster never got good. Point is stats on what's won can't be only directive.

And in hurling a lot more teams compete at the highest end.

:lol:

Last six all ireland football winners

2008 Tyrone
2009 Kerry
2010 Cork
2011 Dublin
2012 Donegal
2013 Dublin

And top top teams like Mayo haven't been able to win one.

Lsst six all ireland hurling winners

2008 Kilkenny
2009 Kilkenny
2010 Tipperary (beat Kilkenny)
2011 Kilkenny
2012 Kilkenny
2013 Clare

With its half dozen teams that play it, Hurling is as competitive as the Scottish Premier league.

2008 Tyrone
2009 Kerry
2010 Cork
2011 Dublin
2012 Donegal
2013 Dublin

2008 Kilkenny
2009 Kilkenny
2011 Kilkenny
2012 Kilkenny
2013 Clare

With its half dozen teams that play it, Hurling is as competitive as the Scottish Premier league.

That's not the fairest comparison, that Kilkenny side is the best GAA team of all time. Next six years you could have Limerick, Tipp, Cork, Clare, Kilkenny and even Dublin and Wexford win the hurling whereas it'll be Dublin and Kerry across the board in football with the possibility of Mayo ending their curse, it really is a stupid argument though as the competitiveness of the championships are always shifting and you usually see around the same number of different hurling and football champions. Even in the 00's Galway, Kerry, Tyrone and Armagh made up the football champions and Kilkenny, Tipp and Cork the football so it's not really a great difference, saying hurling isn't competitive because of Kiljenny is like saying the same about the EPL due to Man U.

Edit: Kerry have also won 2 more Football championships than Kilkenny have hurling. 36-34

Last edited:

2008 Tyrone
2009 Kerry
2010 Cork
2011 Dublin
2012 Donegal
2013 Dublin

2008 Kilkenny
2009 Kilkenny
2011 Kilkenny
2012 Kilkenny
2013 Clare

Again that proves very little that Kilkenny team are arguably the greatest ever and again looking solely at winners proves very little.
Would you say Serie A in soccer is much harder than La Liga? Not a chance

When there are half dozen teams, it's infinitely easier to win.

Now you can spin whatever stat to suit...could add Kilkenny won another five in the 2000s that I didn't mention. No team has the same players over a decade, yet they still have a decade of complete dominance.

This is a tiny island...the top half of the country doesn't play hurling. The two biggest GAA counties in the bottom half, Kerry and Dublin...one doesn't play it and the other it's a secondary comp.

So what are we left with...Offaly, Limerick...small playing pools, their equivalent in football would be minor counties. Cork is the one major GAA county that bucks the trend with regard to hurling.

When there are half dozen teams, it's infinitely easier to win.

Now you can spin whatever stat to suit...could add Kilkenny won another five in the 2000s that I didn't mention. No team has the same players over a decade, yet they still have a decade of complete dominance.

This is a tiny island...the top half of the country doesn't play hurling. The two biggest GAA counties in the bottom half, Kerry and Dublin...one doesn't play it and the other it's a secondary comp.

So what are we left with...Offaly, Limerick...small playing pools, their equivalent in football would be minor counties. Cork is the one major GAA county that bucks the trend with regard to hurling.

Can I ask so who had easier route pre-qualifiers to an All Ireland - Munster Hurling Champions OR Football???
Also regards championships - Hurling excludes all weaker teams putting them in tiered championships. Football doesn't. So I will ask can you name the last season in football there was realistically more than a dozen challengers for football?

And check that Kilkenny team in late 00s they did actually have a core of same players with 1 or 2 in each year

Last edited:
But it's the same teams.

If we were to put an equivalent Tyrone football team into hurling, we would be in the hurling quarter-finals (and our current team ain't very good). Instead we got booted out early and eliminated by Armagh in the qualifiers.

Another factor...the troubles...GAA in the north was massively hindered (won't get too much into the politics of what went on) and only started to blossom when it died down in the early 90s. As a result the competitiveness of football increased tenfold. This widened the gulf between the two GAA codes. For me Kerry had it too easy before.

But it's the same teams.

If we were to put an equivalent Tyrone football team into hurling, we would be in the hurling quarter-finals (and our current team ain't very good). Instead we got booted out early and eliminated by Armagh in the qualifiers.

Another factor...the troubles...GAA in the north was massively hindered (won't get too much into the politics of what went on) and only started to blossom when it died down in the early 90s. As a result the competitiveness of football increased tenfold. This widened the gulf between the two GAA codes. For me Kerry had it too easy before.

But Tyrone have hurling team. So if ALL hurling teams were just left in Liam McCarthy your saying Kilkenny wins would be more credible yes?
And I think Ulster football on small bit of decline and realistically it's just Donegal and Monaghan that are challengers at moment. My point is yes you've quantity in football but that doesn't mean it's tougher as quality isn't much more.
Hurling took weaker teams out that's why there's only 12 or whatever teams but close to 32 teams play hurling.
And Tyrone have hurling team but how do you figure they'd be in an AI QF in hurling on your scenario?
Hurling set up is different as they operate out of 2 provinces. Add in Donegal Down and Antrim would be stronger than Tyrone. So again I'm failing to see point. Even in your scenario Tyrone wouldn't go straight to QF in Football or Hurling.

And Kerry nearly did 5 in a row in past in football I suppose there's a negative bit against them as most of that team were same team?

And you keep saying Football has gone more competitive but how like can you name the teams realistically in hunt for Sam. You said there's more than dozen.
Most football journalists said at start of year - Dublin, Mayo, Donegal, Monaghan, Cork, Kerry and possibly Meath.
Not much has changed them views except some are out.
Hurling teams with chance were Clare, Galway, Limerick, Kilkenny, Tipp, Cork and Dublin.
7 from each so agai think you can spin NI troubles (which Ulster teams still played) a amounts of teams or whatever but can't see point where there's a gulf. Also I may add most would judge the hurling a lot more tougher,more skill and quality than football but I think both are great games in their own right

Last edited:
"but tyrone have a hurling team"

Starting off with a sentence like that....you're not a lawyer that's for sure. :lol: England have a baseball team (haven't googled but I'm sure they do).

There's a difference between having a team, and HAVING A TEAM.

Quick story...I went to one of the top GAA grammar schools in the north....and we had a solitary hurling PE class in seven years and it seemed like we had it for punishment. We actually had as many Rugby classes (also one). I've never seen a game played here...not in schools, not in GAA grounds. It obviously happens somewhere because I've seen results in the GAA section local papers. Antrim are far and away the only one that participate properly in hurling and they are a minor GAA county. I had a hurlng stick and a sloithar and have whacked it a few times (very badly might I add)...I also had a cricket set that my auntie bizarrely gave me (never got used).

Regards teams in the hunt for Sam..I've just listed the last six all Ireland football winners and the multitude of teams competing, and the last six all Ireland hurling winners and the lack of teams competing.

To even attempt to argue that hurling is anywhere near as competitive as football is foolish...and dare I say delusional.

"but tyrone have a hurling team"

Starting off with a sentence like that....you're not a lawyer that's for sure. :lol: England have a baseball team (haven't googled but I'm sure they do).

There's a difference between having a team, and HAVING A TEAM.

Quick story...I went to one of the top GAA grammar schools in the north....and we had a solitary hurling PE class in seven years and it seemed like we had it for punishment. We actually had as many Rugby classes (also one). I've never seen a game played here...not in schools, not in GAA grounds. It obviously happens somewhere because I've seen results in the GAA section local papers. Antrim are far and away the only one that participate properly in hurling and they are a minor GAA county. I had a hurlng stick and a sloithar and have whacked it a few times (very badly might I add)...I also had a cricket set that my auntie bizarrely gave me (never got used).

Regards teams in the hunt for Sam..I've just listed the last six all Ireland football winners and the multitude of teams competing, and the last six all Ireland hurling winners and the lack of teams competing.

To even attempt to argue that hurling is anywhere near as competitive as football is foolish...and dare I say delusional.

Well who in football so have a team that makes it so much tougher than hurling.
Ok you listed last 6 but when Kerry did 5 in row would that have meant hurling was more competitive?

Again you can't prove point 1 bit. And just because you won an AI 6 years ago doesn't mean your in hunt now so again I will look forward to your evidence. And fact on this forum no one seems to agree with you or think your a troll will also let me add in either put up valuable facts.

Fact there's 6 winners means nothing.
Teams competing well in Football I've listed teams that are serious it's about quality not quantity.
And it's called a Hurley not hurling stick so maybe it shows you actually don't know much about sport and can't judge???

Latest posts