"Americas Rugby Championship"?

Dai Perk

Bench Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
Scotland
Hey, folks!

So, on the ESPN+ app, there's an upcoming event listed called the Americas Rugby Championship, on January 31st. However, I can't find a darn thing about anywhere!

My guess is, since USA Rugby is bankrupt, they simply don't have staff building online content, but the fact that I can't find anything anywhere is eerie... Does ANYone know if this is a real event? Where could it be taking place? Who is playing? Is it just a phantom of a previously scheduled event that is now canceled like most everything?

Anyway, here's hoping it's a real thing. Thanks, y'all!

No idea if it's going ahead still - 2020's was cancelled and I can't see anything about 2021 from a quick google.
It's basically the Six Nations but of North/Central/South American sides - and is used to determine which two sides qualify for the Rugby World Cup,

Teams are Canada, USA, Argentina XV (their 2nd team), Uruguay, Brazil and Chile

I've got a feeling it won't be going ahead, with Brazil having this new strain of COVID, and things the way that are in the USA atm - so most likely a shadow of a cancelled event, unfortunately.

Thanks, buddy. Yeah, I know about the hit-and-miss past of the event, and long for its full return... but I think you're probably right, seems like a ghost at this point.

I thought I saw somewhere that it's being played in New Zealand, but that was probably a dream or hallucination of some kind.

Oy vey with this nonsense. So ready for brighter days.

Cheers, y'all!

Hey, folks!

So, on the ESPN+ app, there's an upcoming event listed called the Americas Rugby Championship, on January 31st. However, I can't find a darn thing about anywhere!

My guess is, since USA Rugby is bankrupt, they simply don't have staff building online content, but the fact that I can't find anything anywhere is eerie... Does ANYone know if this is a real event? Where could it be taking place? Who is playing? Is it just a phantom of a previously scheduled event that is now canceled like most everything?

Anyway, here's hoping it's a real thing. Thanks, y'all!

1610919995235.png

1610919950903.png

your google game is weak! ;)

Hey, man - those two things are images, not links, I don't think that really constitutes updated info... But if your skills led you to find those pics on a site with any information, I'm more than happy to eat crow! Thanks for looking, bud. USA Rugby (along with everything else in this insane country) is really effed right now; the idea that they may actually get a match is very exciting, but I can't see it happening right now. If you know otherwise, I will be super happy!

Just as some context on this, the cancellation of the ARC appears to have been a political move. Sudamerica is livid at Canada for siding with Bill Beaumont against Pichot, with Sudamerica considering this a breach of a verbal agreement to vote in the interests of all Tier2. So the US (who voted for Pichot) suffer and get caught up in the crossfire.

World Rugby appear to be trying persuade the Americas to reconcile, but Sudamerica appears to be holding out on only playing Canada in a tournament if it is expanded to incorporate nations outside of the Americas (presumably something like the hypothetical World League 2nd division). A couple of relevant articles thanks to the wonders of Google Translate (possibly my favourite tech development of the century!).

Latest posts