An end to the Powergen cup?

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by DonBilly, Apr 13, 2006.

1. DonBilly

DonBilly Guest

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. gjohn85

gjohn85 Guest

Its silverware up for grabs for f**k sake. I can't believe that they want to scrap this tournament. I like this cup, ok It's not as exciting as the Heineken cup, but no one is sure who can win the tournament. I thought that if a big British team goes out in the Heinekin cup, & they won't win anything (i.e in the league, be it the Guiness Premier league or the celtic league) they would go to win the the powergen cup to get some silverware.

4. PeeJay

PeeJay Guest

Rugby needs to follow football's lead (blasphemy, I know :p ) and start playing some games on a Wednesday.

5. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

The ring fenced PG cup is shite and is nothing more than a honey pot for the RFU and WRU.

When you consider the old format was identical to the FA Cup, which is the best format of any tournament, they converted it to the poxy 4 groups and a semi final. Where are the huge upsets? When are we going to see London Welsh beat London Irish? When will Bedfor turn over Leicester?

Never.

It's a crappy tournament which everyone except the Welsh fans tend to agree with, only because they now have a 'major' domestic tournament to compete in.

6. Black-Monday

Black-Monday Guest

What I get from this is that the welsh don't find the CL competitive enough, otherwise why not let the others in. So they go for this while gaining money.

This game is an industry and they are in it to make money, so don't pay out.

BM

7. el_tk

el_tk Guest

It was a stupid idea to take away the history of the old cup- and the ability for lower league teams to cause upsets just to cash in in the short run. Shame on the RFU and WRU for creating the <insert sponsor here> Cup.

8. Cymro

Cymro Guest

I like the suggestion using the Powergen Cup as a FA cup tpye of Cup

9. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

Errrm... Hello?

That's what they stopped to make the poxy thing they have now.

10. PeeJay

PeeJay Guest

Maybe they should go back to that but give the four welsh sides a bye into the round of 32 or something?

11. Bullitt

Bullitt Guest

Ahem, round of 32?

1 Sale
    2 Wasps
    3 London Irish
    4 Leicester
    5 Gloucester
    6 Northampton
    7 Saracens
    8 Bristol
    9 Worcester
    10 Bath
    11 Newcastle
    12 Leeds
    13 Harlequins
    14 Bedford
    15 Cornish Pirates
    16 Earth Titans
    17 Plymouth Albion
    18 Exeter
    19 Nottingham
    20 Coventry
    21 Otley
    22 Doncaster
    23 London Welsh
    24 Newbury
    25 Sedgley Park
    26 Pertemps Bees
    27 Moseley
    28 Waterloo
    29 Esher
    30 Launceston
    31 Wharfedale
    32 Barking
    33 Manchester
    34 Redruth
    35 Halifax
    36 Blackheath
    37 Stourbridge
    38 Henley
    39 Harrogate
    40 Orrell

Plus, why should the Welsh sides get an advantage in an English cup?

12. el_tk

el_tk Guest

Why should they be there in the first place? Kick them back to the Principality.

13. Black-Monday

Black-Monday Guest

Never realised manchester rugby played in the old tier, now i feel very annoyed at the new system.... grrr

BM

14. PeeJay

PeeJay Guest

OK, the round of 16 then, whatever works :)

15. As much as more games means more entertainment for fans, it's true that it takes out of the player's energy. If you wanted to keep the Powergen Cup, put new teams into it or something, maybe make it National League two teams and Welsh (can't remember what their 2nd level pro comp is calld). OR maybe for the academies to have some fun so that clubs still get the money but suddenly market the budding talent of Wales and England. The NCAA works fine in the US, even though there are still the other top notch pro leagues. But guys who play in the GP and HCup and other tourneys have enough to chew on.

16. harrison2468

harrison2468 Guest

It would only mean a minimum one game though for the clubs if reverted back to a knock-out comp, rather than the three they have to play before anything happens. By going back to the old format it would help reduce the number of games anyway for most clubs.

17. Boy

Boy Guest

Rugby can't possibly follow football's lead and have regular midweek games. The physical demands of rugby simply wouldn't allow it without a drastic increase in the salary cap and wage size.

To be honest, I think most people would rather the cup was scrapped rather than have the Anglo-Welsh tournament. If they got rid of the cup it would promote the end of season play-offs, which still haven't caught the imagination. Of course, they should then recognise the No.1 placed team, like the Minor Premiership title in NRL or regular season champions in Super League.

Keep the Powergen Trophy for Division 1 and below, by all means, but I don't think the Premiership needs it, especially if every club is involved in one of the European competitions.

18. Cymro

Cymro Guest

Bit of a harsh comment. Wales is not a principality and has not been since 1232 so there.

But I think Wales should be included in that. It would be good and quite funny watching a team like London Welsh beating Newport Dragons or Bath for example.

But again their are of course the dwonside. The physical demand of players

19. el_tk

el_tk Guest

Whatever. It's not a real country though.

20. Boy

Boy Guest

If you're going to get picky, I believe it was 1282 at the Battle of Cilmeri.

21. Go back to the old format or scrap it.

This year's competition was an embarassment, no upsets, no energy, no interest.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!