• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Andrew Hore retires

He seems to be attached to his farm and to New Zealand, so maybe he just doesn't want an overseas contract? I think we might see him elsewhere when the next hooker gets injured though. An available 35-year-old retired international ticks all the boxes, and if it's only a few months it might work for him as well. With Toulouse's bad luck on that aspect in the last years, it could be there.
Also, there is some neat farming going on in southwest France...

I have a lot of respect for him as a player, cheap shots or not.

2 weeks ago a good Kiwi mate of mine took his two young sons, 8 and 6 years old respectively, to the hotel where the All blacks were staying in London and outside were the usual throng of autograph hunters. The All Blacks were out in force signing books and rugby balls and photos for the fans, Mark got every single All Blacks autograph on the rugby ball for his sons, except one,
Andrew Hore.
He was grumpy and surly and wouldn't sign the ball. Maybe something was up then and he didn't want to talk etc. Mark didnt get upset about it and laughed it off in front of his boys but he sure won't be missed by my mate who will eternally think "What a dick."
Maybe he was thinking he wanted to keep his image 'well 'ard' to fit with his killing of seals with a .303 rifle off the coast of New Zealand. Immortalised on You tube.
A hard unremitting hooker who always gave away too many penalties. The only hooker we have who can foot it with Du Plessis in the rough stuff.
Could never really call the hooking role his own with Kevin Mealaamu breathing down his neck. We were lucky to have them both for so long.

hmmm, divided opinions. Yes, the forearm will define his career unfortunately but he was/is a good player. It was always a tough call over who to start as he and Keven are such different players, neither have ever been 'the best in the world' but have served NZ well.
He won't be missed as his powers have definitely faded but I appreciate everything he has done for NZ rugby - I think he'll go down in history like Walter Little, Byron Kelleher, Craig Dowd, Taine Randall etc, plenty of tests but never really a world class player

its fair enough loosing respect for someone after a cheap shot..which it was...just hope people remember that next time we're talking about Kiwis not liking Cooper

Agree, Cooper is somehow now receiving sympathy from commentators etc. The booing from NZ crowds is a bit poor but we shouldn't forget his pathetic cheap shots on McCaw which were just as bad as Hore's because it was not face to face.

Hore was a little bit old school, capable of thuggery when he felt the need, but it sure cost a share of penalties and we can do without that kind of rubbish in the modern game.
Qayde Coopers cheap shots on McCaw were pathetic, if you're gonna indulge in that kind of garbage at the very least do like Hore and make it count. Then at least you know why you're on a ban. Coopers nonsense was just cowardly. I don't have any problem with Kiwi crowds booing him lest he forget.
Hore should have been booed by the fan base of his victims as well.
Keep that crap out of the game.
If you wanna fight put on the gloves and do it right, otherwise play as hard as you like but within the rules.

Hore was never a stand out player for the All Blacks so I never really noticed him compared to other New Zealanders, the Davies incident was disgusting but that was one moment in a long career but it will be remembered.

What's this seal craic?

Hore and his pals were shooting seals on an offshore island with a .303 rifle and one of them filmed it and of course it wound up on you tube for a while, long deleted now, but he was prone to gaff's like that which left a lot of people divided on what sort of character he was...
I think he was about 40 years out of his time. In the 70's he would have been a legend.

Hore was a little bit old school, capable of thuggery when he felt the need, but it sure cost a share of penalties and we can do without that kind of rubbish in the modern game.
Qayde Coopers cheap shots on McCaw were pathetic, if you're gonna indulge in that kind of garbage at the very least do like Hore and make it count. Then at least you know why you're on a ban. Coopers nonsense was just cowardly. I don't have any problem with Kiwi crowds booing him lest he forget.
Hore should have been booed by the fan base of his victims as well.
Keep that crap out of the game.
If you wanna fight put on the gloves and do it right, otherwise play as hard as you like but within the rules.

barring the obvious i would never have said Hore was any more a a fan of thuggery than the next tight forward, he has a brain explosion in this moment but i cant think of any other (on the field), i would think you will find most of the penalties he has conceded would be at the break down, off his feet etc, he always played a an extra loose forward

2 weeks ago a good Kiwi mate of mine took his two young sons, 8 and 6 years old respectively, to the hotel where the All blacks were staying in London and outside were the usual throng of autograph hunters. The All Blacks were out in force signing books and rugby balls and photos for the fans, Mark got every single All Blacks autograph on the rugby ball for his sons, except one,
Andrew Hore.
He was grumpy and surly and wouldn't sign the ball. Maybe something was up then and he didn't want to talk etc. Mark didnt get upset about it and laughed it off in front of his boys but he sure won't be missed by my mate who will eternally think "What a dick."
Maybe he was thinking he wanted to keep his image 'well 'ard' to fit with his killing of seals with a .303 rifle off the coast of New Zealand. Immortalised on You tube.
A hard unremitting hooker who always gave away too many penalties. The only hooker we have who can foot it with Du Plessis in the rough stuff.
Could never really call the hooking role his own with Kevin Mealaamu breathing down his neck. We were lucky to have them both for so long.

Funny you should say this, i heard much the same thing after a club game up the Maniototo earlier in the year. My brother in law is the physio for wakatipu and saw some kids go up and ask for autographs etc. the difference here was that some of the older heads around the clubroom went over and told him to pull his head in and if he didn't want to participate in the social side of the club rooms other than sinks some wets with his mates then he could go back to his wellington apartment with his lattes and what not...or words to that effect....he signed the autographs

Last edited:
Hore used to visit the local pub (then Monteiths in Khandalla). I remember him and Jason Eaton in the pub one evening and they were both reasonably polite but had to be helped into a taxi. The reason that particular incident always sticks with me was because the following weekend Hammett announced he wouldn't get another contract.

Hore and his pals were shooting seals on an offshore island with a .303 rifle and one of them filmed it and of course it wound up on you tube for a while, long deleted now, but he was prone to gaff's like that which left a lot of people divided on what sort of character he was...
I think he was about 40 years out of his time. In the 70's he would have been a legend.

In the 70's he'd have been dragged back to NZ and disappear into the Aus outback for the rest of his life.

Hore used to visit the local pub (then Monteiths in Khandalla). I remember him and Jason Eaton in the pub one evening and they were both reasonably polite but had to be helped into a taxi. The reason that particular incident always sticks with me was because the following weekend Hammett announced he wouldn't get another contract.

I meet him once in a quiet bar. We had a few drinks, then he suggested we go clubbing. He seemed real keen. I though "what the hell, this could be fun". He went back to his room to get changed. 10 minutes later he came back wearing an oil skin coat, holding a large club, with massive grin on his face....*

*The following story may contain elements of fiction. Reader discretion is advised.

that means there will be a one less hooligan in world rugby

with all my respect to NZ ABs, that guy is teenage criminal :D just a hooligan playing rugby

with all my respect to NZ ABs, that guy is teenage criminal :D just a hooligan playing rugby

Umm. He hasn't been a teenager in 15 years, and even then I'd be hard pressed to describe the guy as a teenager as he still looked 40. Other than one incident I can't think of a single other incident where someone could claim he was a dirty player...As far as other hookers like Dylan Hartley go I'd say he was squeeky clean.

I thought that was the Georgia Rugby team.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that was the Georgia Rugby team.

Yes that is Georgia's team you recognized them correctly

Well Hore isn't looking like teenager but looks like teenage hooligan when blocking the opponent defenders or offenders

Always guarantees some extra dirty fist in neck or face while entering ruck

On leaving scrum he usually has somebody's face torn on his knees

I have seen and I see many players that play more clean rugby than he did

SO now we can start posting every team's every fight scene and let's see who's cooler

very gentleman play

he did same things against RSA on Championship match where they finally won the cup

Yes, that one incident which has been blown to high heaven. Find me another. Sorry but I don't take your word on the RSA championship match. From someone who doesn't necessarly like Andrew Hore, he is hardly a repeat offender or hooligan (as shown by his relatively clean record).

If that's all your judging it on, I'd say it would be rare to find a player who hasn't been a hooligan in one way or another. I'm not justifying that action (although I've seen much worse), just to judge it on that one incident and not providing me any other example than a vague recollection makes me think you're talking out your ass. For example I can find more incidents of dirty play from someone such as, I don't know, Mamuka Gorgodze.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7ZTb6hZduM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip7ZSsrSdYE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXCDKjhZnE0

Or for example the entire Georgian rugby team. Twice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBfM5PcWaFE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4mg38vKrcU

Every Kiwi is in agreement that Hore was a complete dick on this occasion and deserved whatever punishment came his way for a cheap shot that has no place in rugby.
We are also agreed that you alexrugby are a W@anker.

Yes, that one incident which has been blown to high heaven. Find me another. Sorry but I don't take your word on the RSA championship match. From someone who doesn't necessarly like Andrew Hore, he is hardly a repeat offender or hooligan (as shown by his relatively clean record).

If that's all your judging it on, I'd say it would be rare to find a player who hasn't been a hooligan in one way or another. I'm not justifying that action (although I've seen much worse), just to judge it on that one incident and not providing me any other example than a vague recollection makes me think you're talking out your ass. For example I can find more incidents of dirty play from someone such as, I don't know, Mamuka Gorgodze.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7ZTb6hZduM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip7ZSsrSdYE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXCDKjhZnE0

Or for example the entire Georgian rugby team. Twice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBfM5PcWaFE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4mg38vKrcU

Seems that you know Gorgodze and whole Georgian team once you found a lot of arguments about them

You can't teach me who is who in our team as I know some of those guys from childhood

The problem is that tiny criticism of any player or team brings rush of arguments and posts against you and your team on this forum !!! that's quite traditional to TRF and it didn't change while my absence here for 2 years

Yes I don't like Hore, he had been very dirty in many cases, so dirty that I can't remember any other AllBlack doing the same things

Yes I know who is fighting and how badly in Georgia's national rugby team - better than you know about yours

The thread was about Hore and I posted about Hore, and again I think he was not clean AllBlack

You want to push arguments against Georgia, create a new thread: Sins of Georgia and post there

And don't be such a intolerant to anything posted "against" you

Posting fights doesn't give you advantage over me, youtube is full of stuff from your leagues and championship fights and sludge

Amazed by the way you react

Every Kiwi is in agreement that Hore was a complete dick on this occasion and deserved whatever punishment came his way for a cheap shot that has no place in rugby.
We are also agreed that you alexrugby are a W@anker.

size matters bro I see this in your case

Seems that you know Gorgodze and whole Georgian team once you found a lot of arguments about them

You can't teach me who is who in our team as I know some of those guys from childhood

The problem is that tiny criticism of any player or team brings rush of arguments and posts against you and your team on this forum !!! that's quite traditional to TRF and it didn't change while my absence here for 2 years

Yes I don't like Hore, he had been very dirty in many cases, so dirty that I can't remember any other AllBlack doing the same things

Yes I know who is fighting and how badly in Georgia's national rugby team - better than you know about yours

The thread was about Hore and I posted about Hore, and again I think he was not clean AllBlack

You want to push arguments against Georgia, create a new thread: Sins of Georgia and post there

And don't be such a intolerant to anything posted "against" you

Posting fights doesn't give you advantage over me, youtube is full of stuff from your leagues and championship fights and sludge

Amazed by the way you react

I think you've missed the point. You are offering no evidence of a player acting dirty more than once. No judicary record. No video evidence. You are extrapolating one example of a player acting dirty and making a giant generalization. My point is simply that taking one isolated incidents, even several - really isn't enough to call someone a teenage hooligan. I didn't take anything personally. I see you very clearly did by sulking that I applied it to an example you understand.

Or prove me wrong and find another on field incident where Andrew Hore has been particularly dirty. For a dirty player who has had a professional career of nearly 15 years it should be very easy. Don't salk when asked to justify your position. I have nothing against Georgian rugby or Gorgodze, meerly pointing out I can find more evidence of Gorgodze being 'dirty' than I can of Andrew Hore.

Last edited:

Latest posts