• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Are there any NH players better than SH?

Status
Not open for further replies.
<div class='quotemain'><div class='quotemain'>
The standards of the SH international sides is currently a long way ahead of the NH, a lot of which is because politics don't seem to get in the way of the rugby in the SH (even SA and the quota system is simple compared to the bullshit the northern unions come out with).

However, the top 8 HEC clubs would **** over any Super 14 franchise.
[/b]

But aren't the HEC clubs packed with Southern Hemisphere players any way? Hardly any case to argue if that's the case (correct me if I'm wrong). But are you sure they would "**** over" the likes of the Bulls, Crusaders, Brumbies and Sharks? [/b][/quote]

Wasps, Leicester and Gloucester;

1. Aren't full of Southern faries
2. Would spank any of those sides you mentioned

To give you a rough idea how much better Premiership clubs are then the SH union owned franchises, I seem to recall the worst Premiership side last season, Northampton, have their junior academy (so basically a bunch of 17 year old kids) demolish a Waratahs 2nd string (including a lot of their now Aussie internationals) 24 - 6.
[/b][/quote]

The Waratahs were second to bottom this year and were ***** slapped by every one.

if chabal had more game time in the french jersey he should be one of the best flankers in the world..or one of the more effective ones

wilkinson is slowly coming back to form..but with his crap team hes doing it the hard way
[/b]

Even with Wilkinson back in form Carter is miles better. And Chabal could be great, but could never surpass the likes of Burger, McCaw, Smith and Collins.

<div class='quotemain'>
The standards of the SH international sides is currently a long way ahead of the NH, a lot of which is because politics don't seem to get in the way of the rugby in the SH (even SA and the quota system is simple compared to the bullshit the northern unions come out with).

[/b]

But aren't the HEC clubs packed with Southern Hemisphere players any way? Hardly any case to argue if that's the case (correct me if I'm wrong). But are you sure they would "**** over" the likes of the Bulls, Crusaders, Brumbies and Sharks? [/b][/quote]

To give you a rough idea how much better Premiership clubs are then the SH union owned franchises, I seem to recall the worst Premiership side last season, Northampton, have their junior academy (so basically a bunch of 17 year old kids) demolish a Waratahs 2nd string (including a lot of their now Aussie internationals) 24 - 6.
[/b][/quote]

The Waratahs were second to bottom this year and were ***** slapped by every one.
[/b][/quote]

But surely a team that's bottom of the Super 14 is better then a Northern club according to you SH lot? :rolleyes:

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

But surely a team that's bottom of the Super 14 is better then a Northern club according to you SH lot? :rolleyes:
[/b][/quote]

Haha, we'd like to think so.

One guy that springs to mind would be Dwayne Peel at scrum half. Incredible little fella. Also, don't forget CHABAL! ;) Andy Sheridan is a mean guy in the scrum as is...well...most of the Italian pack really. I think if you had front row guys like Ongaro or Castrogiovanni they would seriously shake up some S14 front rows but then again their dicipline is so god awful that they would nulify any advantage they would bring.

Also, Leicester, Gloucester and Wasps field sides usually with NH players only. They actually field the most NH talent because in the case of Gloucester and Wasps, they find it much better value for money to develop local talent or buy from other parts of the Home Nations. In fact Gloucester spent more money on trying to lure guys from the Super League or from elsewhere in the NH rather than spend it down under.

i bet if the reds played the best nh club they would probably still win!

i think they would probably even give the current english team a run!

and the reds SUCK!

<div class='quotemain'>
I think Scott Murray and Nathan Hines are both two exceptional lock forwards and both are probably the only two world class players in the Scottish team and on their day could compete with Matfield and Botha. Chris Patterson at the moment is probably the best goal kicker in the world. Gavin Henson when matured and on song will be the best player in the world no questions asked and Gareth Thomas is probably one of the best defensive backs for mine. Pichot and Ellisalde for me are the two best half backs in the world.[/b]
[/b][/quote]

For starters, Pichot is from Argentina which I believe is located in the Southern Hemisphere. Also, I think Fourie Du Preez would have a very strong case to argue with you about that.

Yeah but Pichot plays for his club in the Northern Hemisphere.

Scott Murray and Nathan Hines are superb locks, Jason White an excellent forward as well.

Du Preez is good but he isn't as relentless and sharp as guys like Peel. The guy is like a little ferret and does his fair share of work even when the rest of the Welsh team are collapsing around him. Superb player.

i bet if the reds played the best nh club they would probably still win!

and the reds SUCK! [/b]

This post illustrates exactly why this argument is pointless.

Anyone from the NH with an opinion is written off as being wrong, just as all NH players are written off as being crap.

When the SH sides are dominating, apparently anyone north of the equator is ****. When the SH sides haven't dominated a match, any NH side is still **** but just got lucky.

Everyone has admitted the SH nations are far better at the moment, but we then get bagged for defending some of our own talent.

There's never going to be a winner.

I think this topic probably baffles the average French, Italian, Portuguese and Georgian fan. They probably see this and think "why are the SH and Home Nations so f*cking stuck up about themselves?! Jesus guys wheres the love?!"

well i think munster and wasps and llanelli would all do well in super 14 esp if they played some games at home

<div class='quotemain'> i bet if the reds played the best nh club they would probably still win!

and the reds SUCK! [/b]

This post illustrates exactly why this argument is pointless.

Anyone from the NH with an opinion is written off as being wrong, just as all NH players are written off as being crap.

When the SH sides are dominating, apparently anyone north of the equator is ****. When the SH sides haven't dominated a match, any NH side is still **** but just got lucky.

Everyone has admitted the SH nations are far better at the moment, but we then get bagged for defending some of our own talent.

There's never going to be a winner.

[/b][/quote]

Same old story - They all love to say how rubbish NH rugby is, yet none of them have ever watched a game.

well i think munster and wasps and llanelli would all do well in super 14 esp if they played some games at home
[/b]
Maybe against the Queensland Reds...

Jason White, Brian O'Driscoll, Sergio Parisse, Dwayne Peel. All four have consistently stood out in what are fairly pish poor teams.

Dont see what the point of this topic is really. Well apart from the usual SH ladies looking for people to comment on how fabulous they are. Get a room girls.

Firstly, I'd just like to say that there are idiots in both the Northern Hemisphere and the Southern Hemishpere, so I think it's fair to say that we can ignore the extremists in both cases. As it has been said and admitted to, the NH is playing infererior rugby and are playing with infereior players as a whole. But that is not to say that all NH teams and competitions should simply be ingnored.

To me I've never really understood the whole NH vs SH debate. Why are people so passionate about their hemisphere? I understand nationalism, but I'll be blunt, I'm not going to root for Australia under any circumstances.(In the case of the 2003 WC final, I simply couldn't watch). Obviously there are going to be neutral sides that you adopt for one reason or another, and teams that you despise, but I will not just blindly support a side because of it's geographical position.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("Teh Mite")</div>
However, the top 8 HEC clubs would **** over any Super 14 franchise[/b]

You are completely dellusional if you truely believe that. You talk of SH ignorance and arrogance but that statement in and of itself makes you a complete and utter hypocrite. How could you possibly say that the Bulls, Crusaders, Blues, and Sharks would get ****** on? These are teams chalk full of international players.

Canterbury are the most successful and most talent laden proffessional franchise in any sport on the planet. Their starting lineup have all played for the All Blacks at some point in their careers, plus another two sitting on the bench. Then you can ignore the plethora of NZ U21 players that are also either in the squad or in the extended training squad. The number of AB's will drop by 4 with, Mauger, Senio, Gear and Jack leaving, but they will not be missed. Andy Ellis starts over Senio anyway, Ali Williams is transferring to Canterbury, and Mauger will easily be replaced by either Tim Batemen or Stephen Brett. Canterbury can beat you any way you want to play. You can't out muscle them and you can't outrun them.

The Blues also had 15 All Blacks in their squad and a ton of other talent individuals. My only problem with the Blues is you're not quite sure what you're going to get from them at any one game, but they are no slouches. They'll be even better with Nick Evans running the show this year.

The Bulls are a ferocious forward dominated squad, that is filled with Springboks. In the forwards they ahve the best lock, in Victor Matfield, the best No. 8 in Piere Spies and the best scrumhalf in Fourie Du Preez. They are a team that dominates the set piece. But they are not simply a 10 man team, they have some electric backs. That inculdes Habana and Ndungane out on the wings.

The Sharks are a bit flashier with some quality backs. Montgomery, Steyn, Pieterson, James and Pieneaar. I don't care who you are, you're going to have trouble trying to stop that backline. And the back does have a bit of beef, with Muller, Venter, BJ Botha and Smit.

These are just the top 4 teams, but there are a few more that would do far more than just roll over. Waikato could front up and with the direction of Stephen Donald could cause a lot of problems. For me, I don't think the Brumbies will be that good this year without Gregan and Larkam, but with them and Mortlock they were one of the best sides in the world.

I just don't know where you're getting your justifications for saying that the top 8 would **** all over the Super 14 because, well it just wouldn't happen.

To give you a rough idea how much better Premiership clubs are then the SH union owned franchises, I seem to recall the worst Premiership side last season, Northampton, have their junior academy (so basically a bunch of 17 year old kids) demolish a Waratahs 2nd string (including a lot of their now Aussie internationals) 24 - 6.[/b]

You're talking about the B side of a team that finished second last in the competition. How does that reflect the quality of the competition? Especially because it was in a one off game, where there is no video or familiarity with the opposition.

However, the top 8 HEC clubs would **** over any Super 14 franchise. [/b]
:lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn: :lol2tn:

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>

Same old story - They all love to say how rubbish NH rugby is, yet none of them have ever watched a game.[/b]
[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

Yes, well done mate, superb arguing of your point- people are actually here to debate Chinese Underwater Basket weaving and have no intersest or knowledge of rugby at all. Granted, some from both Hemispheres have been plainly arrogant.

To be quite frank the Leicester Tigers etc. Would probably get crapped on by the top four S14 teams. Im not saying this after "not ever having watched a game of rugby". I watch Guiness Prem. etc regularly, and frankly the standard of play is just not as high as the S14.

And trying to argue that your clubs are better than the S14 franchises is plainly idiotic because test rugby is ALWAYS a relatively good reflection of the tiers and grades below it, and the NH sides are playing woefully rubbish rugby at the moment.

As for Dwayne Peel being the best in his position? Do yourself a favour and watch Ruan Pienaar and Fourie Du Preez the next time they play- truly majestic.( Dwayne Peel is an exceptionally good player but is not of the same class as the other two)

Don't really believe in the NH/SH debate either. Not giving you stick for enjoying rugby wherever you prefer to watch it but just look at the results of this World Cup. It's played in the NH with significant home advantage to some of the NH teams and it's looking like an all SH semi-final.

Why are people so passionate about their hemisphere?[/b]
Good question. Personally I'm not a fan of NH Rugby, I'm a fan of Irish Rugby. I dont really care for any other NH teams (be they clubs or countries) apart from the Scots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts