• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Are there any NH players better than SH?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone knows that the NH rugby is not as good as the SH but it doesn't mean to say that every NH player is crap. It'll be good to see NH players come to play Super14 instead of seeing all our players go up north.

I think the Argentina vs Ireland game was a good example of the some of the differences between both hemisphere's. Ireland just kept kicking the ball away while Argentina ran it alot more.

I think the Argentina vs Ireland game was a good example of the some of the differences between both hemisphere's. Ireland just kept kicking the ball away while Argentina ran it alot more.[/b]
Were you watching the same game as me? I could have sworn I saw Argentina employ a kicking game for 99% of the game. It was a damned good kicking game, but you could hardly call it a "Southern Hemisphere Style" whatever the **** that is meant to be.

I think the Argentina vs Ireland game was a good example of the some of the differences between both hemisphere's. Ireland just kept kicking the ball away while Argentina ran it alot more.[/b]

Get the f*** out, Agentina are about as influenced by all the SANZAR or PIs as much as Roundyball is influenced by non-poofs. In fact, SANZAR were the first organisation to block them out when they applied to join with Tri-Nations.

They played the same Northern style of rugby because all of their players are based in the north, so in reality they're as closely related to anyone else in the SH as Greenland. Don't start all this "they're one of us" now they're actually good, when they weren't winning every game they started none of you southerners wanted to know.

To be quite frank the Leicester Tigers etc. Would probably get crapped on by the top four S14 teams. Im not saying this after "not ever having watched a game of rugby". I watch Guiness Prem. etc regularly, and frankly the standard of play is just not as high as the S14.

And trying to argue that your clubs are better than the S14 franchises is plainly idiotic because test rugby is ALWAYS a relatively good reflection of the tiers and grades below it, and the NH sides are playing woefully rubbish rugby at the moment.[/b]

This obviously explains why Ireland took South Africa and Australia to the cleaners, yet saw Munster crash out of the HEC and do badly in the Magners League. Definitely explains it. Yup. Uh huh. Mmhmm..it must also explain why England have such awful form and yet we had two English teams contesting the HEC final. Yup. Definite correlation between Club form and National form there.

As for Dwayne Peel being the best in his position? Do yourself a favour and watch Ruan Pienaar and Fourie Du Preez the next time they play- truly majestic.( Dwayne Peel is an exceptionally good player but is not of the same class as the other two) [/b]

So, exceptionally good but not exceptionally good? That doesn't actually make sense. I really think Du Preez is good but when you look at the performances, Peel is more dynamic a player. You've got to look at the two teams, one which desires a rapid, running game and a team which is basically a team with a single dimension (plus plan B - pass it to Habana) which has the basics and the power down to a tee. The scrum half is one of the players which defines a team. He either desires to change the way that the backs use the ball or he simply reinforces the way that they play overall.

At the end of the day though Du Preez and Peel set the benchmark for others out there. They truly are the pinacle of the game in that area.

To me I've never really understood the whole NH vs SH debate. Why are people so passionate about their hemisphere? I understand nationalism, but I'll be blunt, I'm not going to root for Australia under any circumstances.(In the case of the 2003 WC final, I simply couldn't watch). Obviously there are going to be neutral sides that you adopt for one reason or another, and teams that you despise, but I will not just blindly support a side because of it's geographical position.[/b]

*sigh* years of arguing with the United States over sodding timber rights have eroded Canada's proud links to the UK and memories of what these Commonwealth sporting struggles are all about.

Essentially, when we say "NH vs SH" what we really mean is "Home Nations vs South Africa, Australia and New Zealand". This is a continuation of the same tussles that started over 120 years ago when places like Australia and New Zealand were still parts of the Empire. France and Italy may be part of the "Northern Hemisphere", but they are very much latecomers to what is a purely Commonwealth party. Have you seen any French or Italian fans getting upity about this? No, because they don't actually give a crap what some guy from Auckland or East London thinks about Freddie Michilak or Marco Bortolami. This NH vs SH thing has been going on since before the big three down under got their Dominion status. Its Commonwealth rivalry, pure and simple.

p.s. I'm rather dubious about the claims being banded around that the HEC teams could trounce the S14 teams or vice versa. Two totally different styles of play man. One structured yet slow and lumbering the other free flowing and rapid yet error strewn and messy as hell. Lets just agree that this is like comparing acids to alcalines: the two cancel each other out.

At the end of the day though Du Preez and Peel set the benchmark for others out there. They truly are the pinacle of the game in that area.[/b]
You also have to look at the different packs they are playing behind. The SA pack is one of the most physical and dominant in the game. This makes life very easy for a scrum half as he tend to have all day to execute.

The Welsh pack on the other hand would be right up there with the Irish pack in terms of the most easily dominated packs out there. Any scrum half that churns out a half decent performance behind a pack like that, should be highly rated in my opinion.

<div class='quotemain'>
To be quite frank the Leicester Tigers etc. Would probably get crapped on by the top four S14 teams. Im not saying this after "not ever having watched a game of rugby". I watch Guiness Prem. etc regularly, and frankly the standard of play is just not as high as the S14.

And trying to argue that your clubs are better than the S14 franchises is plainly idiotic because test rugby is ALWAYS a relatively good reflection of the tiers and grades below it, and the NH sides are playing woefully rubbish rugby at the moment.[/b]

This obviously explains why Ireland took South Africa and Australia to the cleaners, yet saw Munster crash out of the HEC and do badly in the Magners League. Definitely explains it. Yup. Uh huh. Mmhmm..it must also explain why England have such awful form and yet we had two English teams contesting the HEC final. Yup. Definite correlation between Club form and National form there.

As for Dwayne Peel being the best in his position? Do yourself a favour and watch Ruan Pienaar and Fourie Du Preez the next time they play- truly majestic.( Dwayne Peel is an exceptionally good player but is not of the same class as the other two) [/b]

So, exceptionally good but not exceptionally good? That doesn't actually make sense. I really think Du Preez is good but when you look at the performances, Peel is more dynamic a player. You've got to look at the two teams, one which desires a rapid, running game and a team which is basically a team with a single dimension (plus plan B - pass it to Habana) which has the basics and the power down to a tee. The scrum half is one of the players which defines a team. He either desires to change the way that the backs use the ball or he simply reinforces the way that they play overall.

At the end of the day though Du Preez and Peel set the benchmark for others out there. They truly are the pinacle of the game in that area.

To me I've never really understood the whole NH vs SH debate. Why are people so passionate about their hemisphere? I understand nationalism, but I'll be blunt, I'm not going to root for Australia under any circumstances.(In the case of the 2003 WC final, I simply couldn't watch). Obviously there are going to be neutral sides that you adopt for one reason or another, and teams that you despise, but I will not just blindly support a side because of it's geographical position.[/b]

*sigh* years of arguing with the United States over sodding timber rights have eroded Canada's proud links to the UK and memories of what these Commonwealth sporting struggles are all about.

Essentially, when we say "NH vs SH" what we really mean is "Home Nations vs South Africa, Australia and New Zealand". This is a continuation of the same tussles that started over 120 years ago when places like Australia and New Zealand were still parts of the Empire. France and Italy may be part of the "Northern Hemisphere", but they are very much latecomers to what is a purely Commonwealth party. Have you seen any French or Italian fans getting upity about this? No, because they don't actually give a crap what some guy from Auckland or East London thinks about Freddie Michilak or Marco Bortolami. This NH vs SH thing has been going on since before the big three down under got their Dominion status. Its Commonwealth rivalry, pure and simple.

p.s. I'm rather dubious about the claims being banded around that the HEC teams could trounce the S14 teams or vice versa. Two totally different styles of play man. One structured yet slow and lumbering the other free flowing and rapid yet error strewn and messy as hell. Lets just agree that this is like comparing acids to alcalines: the two cancel each other out.
[/b][/quote]

Well! First of all, as has been painfully stated hundreds of times previously, the SA team that got beaten by Ireland was an inexperienced 2nd string team, which happened to look much like the team that played Tonga. Also, I said that test rugby is " a RELATIVELY good indicator" of provincial leagues etc. I said this with full strength national sides in mind, not hopeless b teams :) .How can you effectively argue your point when England ARE at the moment one of the better NH sides, is this not perhaps a result of the 2 english sides in the HEC final? AND, coaches, administrators and players world wide have said that a Country's national side depends hugely upon the quality and form of the domestic competion(s). If this is what the experts say, who can legitimately challenge them if the results back up their statements?

Secondly,
Du Preez was shortlisted for IRB player of the year 2006, I truly respect Peel, but personally think that the past couple of years, Du Preez has been top of the world.

Thirdly,
What I think we would all like to see is an exhibition match every 2 years, where the best NH and SH Club/provincial side can knock the s*** out of each other at a neutral venue so we can end this debate once and for all. :cheers:

I'm not even going to bother reading through the other replies and then posting with what I have gathered.

WHAT A STUPID QUESTIONS!!! Of course there are better NH players than SH players. Take BOD for instance. Anyway, this question doesn't deserve an insightful and intelligent response :)

I'm not even going to bother reading through the other replies and then posting with what I have gathered.

WHAT A STUPID QUESTIONS!!! Of course there are better NH players than SH players. Take BOD for instance. Anyway, this question doesn't deserve an insightful and intelligent response :) [/b]

BOD would be better than any of our New Zealand centre's right now I will admint but up against someone like Stirling Mortlock I think he will have his work cut out for him.

<div class='quotemain'> At the end of the day though Du Preez and Peel set the benchmark for others out there. They truly are the pinacle of the game in that area.[/b]
You also have to look at the different packs they are playing behind. The SA pack is one of the most physical and dominant in the game. This makes life very easy for a scrum half as he tend to have all day to execute.

The Welsh pack on the other hand would be right up there with the Irish pack in terms of the most easily dominated packs out there. Any scrum half that churns out a half decent performance behind a pack like that, should be highly rated in my opinion.
[/b][/quote]

Stiff **** mate, that's a typical NH response. You may remember Stephen Jones choosing Ronan O'Gara in his World XV over Dan Carter simply because he plays behind an average pack and "copes well". We all know what Ronan can do after this world cup don't we now?

Seriously, Du Preez and Pienaar are very much more adept in the half back role than Dwayne Peel. So to go by your logic, is O'Gara better than Carter? Simply because of the difference in forward packs? Give me a break.

Pretty poor attempts at trolling by SH members, how exactly can you quantify such a sweeping statement as that? Surely a player's performance is influenced by the quality of his teammates, if you put Carter/Wilkinson/O'Gara/Paterson in to another top tier national side they would perform differently.

Also the OP's opinions on rugby must be pretty laughable given he has an image in his signature of an illegal and most certainly dangerous tackle - if you condone and applaud that kind of action then you need to re-evaluate your attitude towards the game.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> At the end of the day though Du Preez and Peel set the benchmark for others out there. They truly are the pinacle of the game in that area.[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Stiff **** mate, that's a typical NH response. You may remember Stephen Jones choosing Ronan O'Gara in his World XV over Dan Carter simply because he plays behind an average pack and "copes well". We all know what Ronan can do after this world cup don't we now?

Seriously, Du Preez and Pienaar are very much more adept in the half back role than Dwayne Peel. So to go by your logic, is O'Gara better than Carter? Simply because of the difference in forward packs? Give me a break. [/b][/quote]

No because you've just quoted, as a source to back up your argument, quite frankly one of the very worst rugby pundits on this very planet (if not the universe if Alpha Centauri play Rugby). That isn't my logic, thats the logic of some idiot who writes for the Times and Rugby World who doesn't know what he is talking about.

O'Gara doesn't cope well in any situation, especially at a betting office during the Melborune Cup or the Grand National. He could have the England 2003 pack in front of him, he'd still go red faced and start jumping up and down like a spoilt child.

What we were saying was that because Du Preez has the luxury of one of the most aggressive packs in the Southern Hemisphere (albeit with the dynamic nature of the Chuckle Brothers and with the tunnel vision of a veteran Eurostar train driver) then of course he is going to look good! Even Harry Ellis would look pretty damn good behind the Springbok pack! Even I would look good behind the Springbok pack and I can't even bend down far enough to dig out the ball!!!

What we're saying is that if you have the guts, skill and determination to secure and produce quick ball when your pack is being outmuscled every other game and still turn the pressure onto the opposition (like Peel does) then that is something seriously special.

Again, at the end of the day, Peel and Du Preez are the benchmark for the game. They do what they do very very well and I'd be interested to see how Du Preez would handle being scrum half behind a pack constantly outmuscled like the Welsh or Irish packs.

What we were saying was that because Du Preez has the luxury of one of the most aggressive packs in the Southern Hemisphere (albeit with dynamic nature of the Chuckle Brothers and with the tunnel vision of a veteran Eurostar train driver) then of course he is going to look good! Even Harry Ellis would look pretty damn good behind the Springbok pack! Even I would look good behind the Springbok pack and I can't even bend down far enough to dig out the ball!!![/b]

Couldn't have put it better myself, by the same token if you put Georgey G behind the Cheltenham Ladies School for Benders U11 C team then he's going to suck.

What we were saying was that because Du Preez has the luxury of one of the most aggressive packs in the Southern Hemisphere (albeit with the dynamic nature of the Chuckle Brothers and with the tunnel vision of a veteran Eurostar train driver) then of course he is going to look good! Even Harry Ellis would look pretty damn good behind the Springbok pack! Even I would look good behind the Springbok pack and I can't even bend down far enough to dig out the ball!!!
What we're saying is that if you have the guts, skill and determination to secure and produce quick ball when your pack is being outmuscled every other game and still turn the pressure onto the opposition (like Peel does) then that is something seriously special.

Again, at the end of the day, Peel and Du Preez are the benchmark for the game. They do what they do very very well and I'd be interested to see how Du Preez would handle being scrum half behind a pack constantly outmuscled like the Welsh or Irish packs. [/b]

Eh, yep what he said.

Couldn't have put it better myself, by the same token if you put Georgey G behind the Cheltenham Ladies School for Benders U11 C team then he's going to suck.
[/b]

Is 'Georgie G' George Greegan's MC name when he raps with the Beastie Boys? Does he grab the mic in the old skool way? :lol:

He's down with the kids, on that point we can be certain.

To be honest different people have different opinions on who is the best etc to be honest I think the NH people should nominated 15 players in their best position and compare it to a SH select 15 then we shall compare and be diplomatic about it!

To be honest If I was to nominate players it would be deffo Dwayne Peel and BOD!

wait we're forgetting the most talented player to come out of ireland in the last 30 years. the best outhalf this isle has ever seen, a name feared throughout the rugby playing folk of south dublin, the one, the only Ross

[/b]

Tunnel vision? Thats a totally outdated stereotype that hasnt been even remotely true since about 1996. Not Dynamic? What do you call Juan smiths work rate and linking with the backs to score three tries in the tournamnet so far, or Pierre Spies when he didnt have lung problems? The SA pack is one of the more dynamic packs in the world mate.

The English pack at least have senior citizen passes and can get on the train for free! :lol:

Thanks for acknowledging that the springboks do have a good pack of forwards though

YOU KNOW there's no point in arguing upon who is the stronger hemisphere... there simply would not be an agreement as there is waay too much bias haha.. however maybe the majority of you should take a look at the topic of the thread and discuss whether there are NH INDIVIDUALS who are better than SH INDIVIDUALS... from what i've seen the argument has been on a geographic scale... in my opinion you cannot ignore class figures such as BOD who played within a team that was collapsing around him yet still managed to score tries out of individual brilliance... even defensively he had was on song making try saving tackles and who could forget the tackle he made on the french FB? personally i would rate him higher than any other centre let it be North or South... Mortlocks good but he doesn't have to perform under the same amount of pressure BOD does.. i can remember when the wallabies had their slump in form under coach Eddie Jones! mortlock simply didn't make the same impact anymore.. it's those players who can still set the benchmark for the team even when times are bad that i admire most.

I tend to look at this debate from a bit of a different angle. While I believe that players in the SANZAR nations are on the whole better than their European counterparts, I think this is as a result of the way they play, not because SH players are better athletes or have higher skill levels.

Looking at the northern hemisphere teams at the world cup, apart from Jason Robinson and maybe Lamont (although he hasn't played against top opposition), there seems to be absolutely no-one who has any idea of how to run a counter attack from fullback. They are very good under the high ball and at putting up bombs, but seem very hesitant and unsure about returning kicks. Whereas in broken play all the southern hemisphere nations look comfortable (including argentina), the northern teams really look average. This might be a bit of an oversimplification, but it seems that while the southern teams (bar argentina) look to either kick or run depending on the situation, the northern teams seem to me to take the attitude to kick first, and run as a secondary option.

This could explain why southern hemisphere backs, especially wingers, seem to be so much better than those in the north. It makes sense that players who counter-attack and run at a higher percentage than others will develop better skills in those areas. I would venture to say that guys like Matthew Tait, Paul Sackey, Tom Shanklin and Tom Varndell would be All Blacks, or very close to it, if they had been brought up through the NZ rugby system. Because NH rugby seems to be so structured and one-dimensional, they produce players that are technically skillful but lack the flair and creativity of players in the south.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts