• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Argentina vs Scotland

• Thread starter THE CHIROPRACTOR101
  • Start date
Bar Hernandez, the Pumas were poor today. They shall do well to even keep close to the Boks.

Bar Hernandez, the Pumas were poor today. They shall do well to even keep close to the Boks.
[/b]

Yes, and we will need to do it very good to avoid playing against England for the third place.

<div class='quotemain'>
Ah well, congratulations to Argentina, they deserved the victory.

We could have won, but didn't, what a nailbiting finish.
[/b]

ARRRRRRRGHH TYPICALLY SCOTTISH
[/b][/quote]

Cheers mate, I enjoy conforming to a narrow stereotype.

Seriously, we played a dull kicking game for an hour and really only started to play some good rugby in the final twenty minutes. A really pity in that Argentina did not play to their full potential and were beatable, our game just didn't rise to that standard until the very end.

We had a good chance in the final six or seven minutes to get the converted try and win the game but the lads just didn't pull it off sadly.

So there is not much else to do aside from pat the Argies on the back, say "Well done" and decide who we want to root for in the final four.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Yes, and we will need to do it very good to avoid playing against England for the third place. [/b][/quote]

Because a cheep dig like that was completely necessary. <_<

Because a cheep dig like that was completely necessary. <_<[/b]

I'm sorry but is what I think, France will have everything in favour (maybe even the referee) after beating the ABs and they are going to be backed by a full stadium ...

<div class='quotemain'>Because a cheep dig like that was completely necessary. <_< [/b]

I'm sorry but is what I think, France will have everything in favour (maybe even the referee) after beating the ABs and they are going to be backed by a full stadium ... [/b][/quote]

Rather like the Aussies in the Telstra Stadium 4 years ago then! Best not overhype England but you can't underestimate their mental strength after coming back from their diabolical performance over South Africa in the group stage. We just have to hope that the same England doesn't show up!

Rather like the Aussies in the Telstra Stadium 4 years ago then! Best not overhype England but you can't underestimate their mental strength after coming back from their diabolical performance over South Africa in the group stage. We just have to hope that the same England doesn't show up![/b]

It could be but I think that the english team in 2003 was a little bit better, right?

Just a tad to put it lightly Asado ha ha ha.

Argentina were a bit nervous for this game. The Scotland try really did wake them up but they overcompensated and were suddenly losing composure.

If they find themselves leading and see Habana score to put South Africa a few points behind they must not repeat the same mistakes. Composure is the key to Argentinian success. Argentina can compete with South Africa's brawn fueled, shove-it-up-the-jumper-and-drive tactics as well as the speed of Habana and Pietersen. Considering how dodgy some of Montgomery and James' kicks have been against Fiji, it would be interesting to see how they would handle both the high ball and seconds immediately afterwards when two speedy Argentine players are bearing down on them.

My feeling? Montgomery really won't like having to kick under extreme pressure every 40 seconds..and neither will James.

<div class='quotemain'>Rather like the Aussies in the Telstra Stadium 4 years ago then! Best not overhype England but you can't underestimate their mental strength after coming back from their diabolical performance over South Africa in the group stage. We just have to hope that the same England doesn't show up![/b]

It could be but I think that the english team in 2003 was a little bit better, right?
[/b][/quote]

Oh undoubtedly but I think Nick Easter summed it up well yesterday when he talked of the belief inside the dressing room and maybe, just maybe, England have another shock in them yet!

On that note, I'm going to shut up and allow this thread to get back on topic :p

Pichot said after the game that the Pumas were tired, so that may account for the loss of form towards the end of the match. And hopefully we'll see Scotland develop some subtlety over the next couple of years. Could be a very good team.

It's frustrating to watch Argentina, because the quality they have all over the pitch is obvious - but it doesn't get used properly. Conti is a fantastic broken field runner, but how many breaks has he made in the big matches? And Corletto spends all night chasing down kicks, even though he's a magician with ball in hand.

Well done, Arg. But enough with the up-and-unders. Please!!!!

Just a tad to put it lightly Asado ha ha ha.

Argentina were a bit nervous for this game. The Scotland try really did wake them up but they overcompensated and were suddenly losing composure.[/b]

100% true, this was a very special match for us, a huge chance to get in the semifinals for the first time and also we were favorites for the first time in the world cup. We will be again the underdogs in the next match and I think that's a position that really benefits us.

The Argentinians looked tired. As Donal Lenihan said in comentary, they could do with three or four days pure rest.

They play ugly rugby, they really do, but I think they have what it takes to beat the Boks. Not saying they will be favourites, but it will be a close enough match.

Should be two good semi's now.

arrrgghhhhh!

what the **** was parks doing at the end? real fighting spirit there - just kick the ball to them and say "we give in"! one of these days parks will play a big game without making a cock-up - he did it against Italy actually but tonight he made up by making 2!

ok, as a scotland fan im kinda use to going out at this stage. (this was the closet weve come to a semi since i was born), but its ****** me off when the game was there for the taking. it happened 4 years ago against australia. (to this day i remain adament the ref cost us that one) and it happened again today. we were good enough. we could do it. but the team cocked up AGAIN!

but credit to argentina, they have been superb in this tournament (if a little off form tonight) and thourghly deserve their place in the semi's. our guys just werent interested in the first 60 minutes, were turned over at ease and made hundereds of unforced errors. we had the ability to reach the last 4, they deserve to be coming home though.

and its an even bigger blow for me! was kinda hoping a last 4 place would boost rugbys profile here, and provide a platform upon which to advertise our pro-teams - but we'll have to wait another 4 years now (if the teams survive)

Pumas can NEVER play their game against Scotland. It's a fact. Games between them will always be close. Scotland's reaction at the end was formidable, I confess that for a moment I thought we were going to lose the game, just because although Pumas had more posession and played closer to Scot's 22, we never capitalized in points. My God, I'm glad it's over.
England and the Boks will be in the final, but I hope next sunday every bock wakes up with diahrrea.

Well done to the Pumas, but what on earth was Parks thinking right at the end!?!?! He ruined a great opportunity for Scotland, which is a big shame.

arrrgghhhhh!

what the **** was parks doing at the end? real fighting spirit there - just kick the ball to them and say "we give in"![/b]

Heh, yeah. When Scotland got to within 4 meters of the line I was going "Wow, awesome comeback!". There really was a chance to turn it around, and then came the kick that was... it was.... yeah. Bizarre would be an understatement.

England and the Boks will be in the final, but I hope next sunday every bock wakes up with diahrrea.
[/b]

Lol, it wouldn't exactly be a very exciting match if they did, now would it? :)

Well done to the Pumas, but what on earth was Parks thinking right at the end!?!?! He ruined a great opportunity for Scotland, which is a big shame.
[/b]

Aye, the errors of Dan Parks tonight were understandable though. He was still ****** at his country getting beaten by England yesterday.

:lol:

Had Scotland actually spun the ball and given it to the likes of the Lamonts, Paterson and Webster earlier than the 60th minute they would have sneaked it. Not enough ambition unfortunately.

Individual impact substitution of the weekend has to go to Craig Smith - what a stormer he had when he came on. Earned himself the nickname 'Viking' from me and my mates. Don't ask why, we were drinking.

Had Scotland actually spun the ball and given it to the likes of the Lamonts, Paterson and Webster earlier than the 60th minute they would have sneaked it. Not enough ambition unfortunately.

Individual impact substitution of the weekend has to go to Craig Smith - what a stormer he had when he came on. Earned himself the nickname 'Viking' from me and my mates. Don't ask why, we were drinking.
[/b]
I actually thought Chris Cusiter should have started at half back over Mike Blair. I think Cusiter is and was a much more enterprising option last night and actually gave Scotland direction. Craig Smith looks like an extra off the cast of Braveheart but he was immense. One indisputable area of the Scottish game that is world class is the line out. I think Hines and Murray are two exceptional lineout jumpers and won everything, except that critical lineout towards the end of the game when they were down inside Argentina's 22. Ross Ford is also an exceptional hooker. What frustrates me about Scotland is how much Chris Patterson is wasted when he is played on the wing. Really he doesnt get near enough ball out there in which Scotland can exploit his creative prowess. Personally, I would have played Cusiter at halfback, Patterson at Five-Eighth, Dan Parks could play inside centre and I think thats where he should start being played, Webster, S Lamont or Di Rollo on the wings and Rory Lamont at full back. The Lamont's both had poor games last night but they are both quality players. Really, for all you Scottish fans out there I think they are a terribly underrated side and are exceptionally talented. What they need to do is get some Southern Hemisphere managers and coaches over there to fix the technical flaws in your game such as discipline and little problems at the breakdown. It would also benefit the likes of Patterson and the backline to have an Australian or New Zealander to add structure and flair to a potentially champion backline. Once you iron out all those little things, Scotland could do anything!

First time in a semi final!! The last defence was amazing, not even a hole to break it. Thanks to Parks for that kick :p .

The Scots play with heart, well done. I always like Scotland :) .

IRB, watch the Pumas, they are in the semis. ;)

The Boks, what a match, my hope is for a close score, the Puma´s guts will be there!

Latest posts