• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ashes 2nd Test - Adelaide

Grieg, Benaud, Slater and Nicholas were commentating on 9 before they were working with Channel 4. Pity that Sky can't get Richie to do some commentary for them this series but he won't work on satelite tv.

Mark Nicholas is being groomed to take over from Ritchie(not that anyone could replace Ritchie) and has been the unofficial head of the 9 team for at least two or three years now. He may work for channel 4 in the Aussie off-season but he's a channel 9 man first these days and will be for many years.

As for the rest of the commentators, they've all been working on 9 for years (exept for the odd cameo from Lloyd of Athers who may pop in once a day).

Lloyd is brilliant, there was a great bit today when Slater was is the box with him and they were going on about how Simon Taufell pressed the wrong button for a run out, Slater goes on to make a century and Bumble whimpering about how it cost him his job but at least he'll get a beer out of Slater so not a bad compromise then.

If only Sky had taken Willis instead of Athers.

What do you Aussies make of Nicholas, imo he was the best of the commentators that Channel 4 or 9. Richie hasn't been looking the healthiest in his brief little appearances on the BBC highlights.

What do you Aussies make of Nicholas, imo he was the best of the commentators that Channel 4 or 9. Richie hasn't been looking the healthiest in his brief little appearances on the BBC highlights.
[/b]

I like him

As an anchorman i think he's the best in the business, but as a commentator he can become rather annoying and there's a certain cheese-factor about him in the way he tries to overstate everything....

It's his whole..... BLIMEY.....GOSH....GOLLY.....GEE....HELLOOOOOO.... :lol:

...and it's never just a good shot.... it's SUBLIME!....or.... WONDERFUL....MAXIMUUUUUUM.....he just lays it on far to thick.

For me, Mark Taylor, Ian Healy, Michael Holding(love the accent) and Richie Benaud are the best commentators and make the most sense with their analysis.

The most entertaining duo is without a doubt Tony Greig and Bill Lawry. I love listening to those two go at each other about Bill's nose,pigeons,love for all things Victorian.. or.. who the bloody hell does Tony Greig actually support

....and there's no one i love to hear call a wicket more than Bill Lawry......... GONE, GOT HIM ,CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!!!!....... classic :cheers:

Of the Pommy commentators i think Willis is the best, Lloyd and Tuff's are hilarious and Boycott is just a bitter old man.

Richie may have lost a bit with age, but theres noone that knows the game,rules and history of cricket like the great man........ there will never be another anchorman,commentator,author or ambassador for the game like Richie, it's not gonna be the same without him.

I can't wait for the new 12TH MAN cd that gets released tomorrow. If you guys up north have never heard a 12th man cd before you dont know what your missing out on, they are the best comedy cd's/cassettes ever.

Nicholas has that natural talent for commentating. He has that air of sophistication which seems to escape the usual Network 9 commentators in any kind of sport. They seem to love to froth at the mouth at the slightest hint of violence like some neandethal and one gets the impression that if Ice Hockey took off in Australia, Network 9 would be the first to cover it because of the huge punch ups that tend to flare up.

As for Slats and Benaud, I knew they were commentating for Network 9 already. I mean, they are Australian after all :p Benaud was still going strong last year when commentating, he was still as insightful and witty as ever. Him and Nicholas make a good team.

Channel 4 dosen't do cricket coverage anymore. Sunset & Vine do excellent Cricket coverage. They used to do Channel 4 coverage when they took over from the BBC in the late 1990s and now do the chop up the Network 9 feed on behalf of the BBC for their highlights.

The irony is that Sunset & Vine were an American company. Its official: the yanks do the best cricket coverage in the world.

Nicholas is awful, he was an average county player and he just comes out with gay comments, like 'gee wiss' or if someone takes a wicket he just shouts there name out in his annoying voice. You may call athers and hussain but at least they know their stuff, its much more interesting to hear commentry from someone who has captained their country and can give insights into the thought processes involved. also david lloyd is starting to get annoying too, its as if he always has to be funny even though he generally isnt. I do agree on Willis though, he has a very dry wit and knows his stuff too, a bit like paul allot

3/350 just after lunch

Unless this pitch starts to seriously deteriorate on the last 2 days, this match will end in a draw.

I just cant see either team taking 20 wickets on this flat track.

If this ends in a draw it wont because Warne bowled around the wicket to the skunk...

It'll be because it's taken the English batsmen 2 days to score 550 batting on a road.

EDIT:Thank god they have declared, we might just get a result after all (although i doubt it)

Given the negative tactics used by Ponting it wouldn't surprise me if he even puts in a night watchman should they lose a wicket before the close.

Given that Lee was getting some reverse swing there's a chance there for the Hoggard and Anderson to do some damage, Flintoff should be well set as well as he hasn't had a particularly arduous first 2 days. Obviously serious doubts over Harmison but he won't be under as much pressure given that there's a pretty decent total to defend.

Huge credit though to Collingwood though, and to think he wouldn't even be playing if Trescothick was right in the head.

If this ends in a draw it wont because Warne bowled around the wicket to the skunk...

It'll be because it's taken the English batsmen 2 days to score 550 batting on a road.

EDIT:Thank god they have declared, we might just get a result after all (although i doubt it)
[/b]

And boy was that an excellent innings. Almost as well worked and well earned as Australia's first innings at Brisbane!

This wicket is quite lifeless and I don't think that England will get quick wickets...but people forget that Andy Flintoff has this supernatural ability to pluck incredible peaches out of nowhere to take wickets...like with what he's just done with Langer!!!!!

We have them cornered. We now just need to go on and finish them off. It's not going to be easy as the pitch as as lifeless as they get. Flintoff did get Langer early days but apart from that the bowling was pretty poor and I think this is going to be a draw.

Good to watch the batting from our boys though, even if it wasn't the quickest innings you'll ever see. We need to push home our advantage, and get a few quick wickets, or this is a one way ticket to a draw.

I would expect this test to end up a draw although it should being the position which England are in, a definate better team out there playing than in the first test, which is always a good sign...

As was in the local ale house watching the last of the days play, there was no commentary, what happened in the crowd with Justin Langer???

Agreed was surprised to see Giles put that one down, Hoggard has been brilliant though and if, big if I know they can get the remaining wickets quickly then the win is still on, especially considering the pitch should do a hell of a lot more on the final day by which stage England shouldn't need too many runs to get that win.

But then who's to argue that Gilly won't find some form finally and put in a typical innings and put the win beyond England for sure.

I rate Nicholas as a commentator

I know he aint no Richie Benaud, but i have come to like this Nicolas as each year passes.

DRAW looks on the cards........i hope the pitch deteriorates, so we get a result of some kind

glad to see that clarke has found some form with the bat with another 100.

definate draw at the moment, good to see that hoggard got 5 as well

Latest posts