• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Athletics - Track and field thread

Hard to imagine a more popular performance thanJaz Sawyers hitting 7m to win the European Indoors long jump ***le yesterday. Diminutive in stature she took a couple of brilliant scalps in doing so.

A real case of maximising potential and, not for the first time, raising her game when the pressure was on.

Yeh there were people speculating in the comments section in the Times that she had overdosed on Fentanyl on the basis that she was black. I said that was baseless and to wait for the autopsy report.

And the men's 3000m steeplechase record went last night as well.

As did the 2 miles although that's a world best, not record.

Faster tracks, super spikes and pacing lights make it almost surprising when a distance record isn't broken now. We may need to wait a few years for everything to shake down before we properly understand how good these performances really are.

Ryan Crouser recently improved his own WR in the shot to 23.56. No technical advantages there, just a generational athlete. There have only been 11 competitions over 23 metres in history with the current tally standing at Crouser 7 v Rest of World 4 (and 2 of those belonged to Randy Barnes who was banned for life for 2 failed drugs tests).

As did the 2 miles although that's a world best, not record.

Faster tracks, super spikes and pacing lights make it almost surprising when a distance record isn't broken now. We may need to wait a few years for everything to shake down before we properly understand how good these performances really are.

Ryan Crouser recently improved his own WR in the shot to 23.56. No technical advantages there, just a generational athlete. There have only been 11 competitions over 23 metres in history with the current tally standing at Crouser 7 v Rest of World 4 (and 2 of those belonged to Randy Barnes who was banned for life for 2 failed drugs tests).
Some world records still standing off the top of my head :

Jonathan Edwards triple jump 18.29m. I recall
He set this one in Gothenburg 1995.

Flo-Jo's 100m WR 10.49secs (although I still suspect she was doped up the way her times improved and how she died). Her 200m WR 21.3secs.

Women's 400m world record run by the East German Marita Koch in the 1980s. Defo dodgy. 47.60s.

Jan Zelezny's 98m throw in the javelin.

Bolt's records won't get beaten for a generation. Still I thought that about the 200m and 400m WRs when set by MJ.

Rudisha's 800m from the London Olympics breaking 1m 41s barrier.

Men's long jump - Mike Powell's astonishing 8.95m still Stands after more than 32 years.

Sure there are more.

I'd add Sotomayor's high jump world record (1993) to that list. He's the top 3 of the all-time list and 4 out of the top 6.

I'd also argue that this is more "pure" of a record than the shot put, competitors in which have benefitted more from improvements in nutrition over the past 30 years and more so by improvements in "nutrition".

Some world records still standing off the top of my head :

Jonathan Edwards triple jump 18.29m. I recall
He set this one in Gothenburg 1995.

Flo-Jo's 100m WR 10.49secs (although I still suspect she was doped up the way her times improved and how she died). Her 200m WR 21.3secs.

Women's 400m world record run by the East German Marita Koch in the 1980s. Defo dodgy. 47.60s.

Jan Zelezny's 98m throw in the javelin.

Bolt's records won't get beaten for a generation. Still I thought that about the 200m and 400m WRs when set by MJ.

Rudisha's 800m from the London Olympics breaking 1m 41s barrier.

Men's long jump - Mike Powell's astonishing 8.95m still Stands after more than 32 years.

Sure there are more.
Many. Women's LJ, HJ, SP and DT all date back to the 80s. Petra Felke's 80.00m javelin would probably have been another had the spec not changed. On the track Kratochvilova's 800 record is about to turn 40. Fewer on the men's side although Schult's DT goes back to 86.

I'd add Sotomayor's high jump world record (1993) to that list. He's the top 3 of the all-time list and 4 out of the top 6.

I'd also argue that this is more "pure" of a record than the shot put, competitors in which have benefitted more from improvements in nutrition over the past 30 years and more so by improvements in "nutrition".
The bigger shift has been in technique from gliders to spinners. When Barnes set his WR in 1990 he used the spin but was in a minority at the time. Now all the elite men, and an increasing number of elite women are spinners.

Well done to Zharnel Hughes for taking down Linford Christie's 100m national record. New mark is 9.83 and currently the world lead.

Reading about a launch of "an alternative Olympics for dopers" next year. Would you watch and be interested?

Latest posts