• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Athletics - Track and field thread

Reading about a launch of "an alternative Olympics for dopers" next year. Would you watch and be interested?
I'd rather the Olympics (especially individual events) added a "random person" element; like Eric the Eel, or even Jolien Boumkwo, just to show how bloody good these athletes are!

Take some random off the street, given them 2 months training, and show us what an absolute gulf there is.

"This is Pierre from Paris, he's been training in the Triple Jump for 2 months; as the camera pans to him, he quickly stubs out his Gauloise and starts his run-up... And there he goes... a mere 3m short of the sandpit"

And you join us for the women's 800m, and that's Caroline from Biarritz just being lapped"

Last edited:
I'd rather the Olympics (especially individual events) added a "random person" element; like Eric the Eel, or even Jolien Boumkwo, just to show how bloody good these athletes are!

Take some random off the street, given them 2 months training, and show us what an absolute gulf there is.

"This is Pierre from Paris, he's been training in the Triple Jump for 2 months; as the camera pans to him, he quickly stubs out his Gauloise and starts his run-up... And there he goes... a mere 3m short of the sandpit"

And you join us for the women's 800m, and that's Caroline from Biarritz just being lapped"
Cycling's a really humbling one - never, ever check a pro's Strava if you want to feel good about yourself!! Not only can you compare time / speed, but the power comparison is humiliating in the extreme.

When Wiggins set his world hour record he averaged something like 440 watts. I can possibly hold that for a minute flat out on a good day. A female track sprinter was talking about a max of 1,480 watts the other day - I'm pleased to hold 1,000 for literally a second! Chris Hoy could hit around 2,500. Cavendish was typically something like 1,200, nowhere near the top, but could hold that for around 30 seconds is light and has a very aero position.

And then if you're talking about climbing you're in to watts per kilo territory. A top pro might be able to climb at over 6. I, er, can't….

Cycling's a really humbling one - never, ever check a pro's Strava if you want to feel good about yourself!! Not only can you compare time / speed, but the power comparison is humiliating in the extreme.

When Wiggins set his world hour record he averaged something like 440 watts. I can possibly hold that for a minute flat out on a good day. A female track sprinter was talking about a max of 1,480 watts the other day - I'm pleased to hold 1,000 for literally a second! Chris Hoy could hit around 2,500. Cavendish was typically something like 1,200, nowhere near the top, but could hold that for around 30 seconds is light and has a very aero position.

And then if you're talking about climbing you're in to watts per kilo territory. A top pro might be able to climb at over 6. I, er, can't….
Blooming' heck, my e-bike's max power output is capped at 250 watts.

I also used to use the same free weights room as the former British pole vault record holder and then UK no1 hammer thrower.

As you'd expect, the thrower was pushing some serious weight - whole gym stopping to watch kind of thing. For his weight the vaulter was lifting pretty heavy, but was also 10.8 sec over 100m and 47 sec over 400m, events that he didn't specifically train for. He wouldn't have been fully pro at that stage and this was pre super spikes and lightning fast tracks. Really is different gravy at the top.

I also used to use the same free weights room as the former British pole vault record holder and then UK no1 hammer thrower.

As you'd expect, the thrower was pushing some serious weight - whole gym stopping to watch kind of thing. For his weight the vaulter was lifting pretty heavy, but was also 10.8 sec over 100m and 47 sec over 400m, events that he didn't specifically train for. He wouldn't have been fully pro at that stage and this was pre super spikes and lightning fast tracks. Really is different gravy at the top.
Which I don't think a lot of people really realise -hence I'd love to see a bunch of randoms (or even regular amateurs) thrown in.
There's a bit of the Jimmy White* effect in a lot of sports.

* the "I'm pretty good at this, and I'm not taking it seriously, I reckon that with a few months dedication, I could take... maybe not a Hendry or O'Sullivan, but... someone in that 10-20 ranking level"

Squash was my sport-of-greatest-talent; and I went to Uni, and played with a Welsh squash international. I was pretty good. If he was feeling lazy/condescending/encouraging, I could take 1, maybe even 2 points off of him.

Squash was my sport-of-greatest-talent; and I went to Uni, and played with a Welsh squash international. I was pretty good. If he was feeling lazy/condescending/encouraging, I could take 1, maybe even 2 points off of him.

Was watching this the other day and think it proves your point. Crazy really; I mean 388 is really low ATP ranking. Couldn't make an actual living Really based on that . But the Other guy with non ranking can barely win a game off of him.

Edit: But then look at this: pro with a wooden racquet v amateur with modern graphite one:

Last edited:
Whether you're a long distance runner or just like sports related movies, here's a classic from 1962. I first saw it 30 years ago and watched it again today.

Last edited:

Just goes to show how ridiculous Bolt's 19.19 sec WR is that they are raving about Hughes breaking the British record at 19.73.

The World Championships should be good. Lyle talking a good game of breaking Bolt's 19.19 in the 200. His best so far being 19.31. Still be pretty special to get it to say 19.15.

Bit of the Devon Lochs for the Dutch women. Both Bol and Hassan going down in sight of the finish line losing medals, possibly golds.

Crouser the best shot putter ever by some distance.

Bronze for Hughes in the 100. Lyles wins but no where near his predicted 9.65s. I doubt he gets near his predicted 19.1 in the 200 either.

Nice one KJT. Gold in the heptathlon. At least one world champion today.

Brilliant.

No-one would have predicted that a few months ago. But you've got to get to the start line and then complete it in one piece. Second day beyond her wildest dreams - PBs in the final 2 events.

Both the Men's & Women's 1,500 meters and Steeplechase have been great at Budapest. I'm really looking forward to the final round at those distances. 👍

Latest posts