• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia vs England - 3 Tests - June 2016

I think May could be in with a shout. For a long time he had the same weaknesses in how he played yet in his final year before being injured he had definitely improved a lot. Being paired with Brown didn't help as there seems to be something going on between those 2 and they never work together. He did a lot less crabbing and was stronger in contact. If his form is similar to pre-injury and he starts improving again, I think he could be in with a shout. 11) May 14) Watson and 15) Nowell would be enough to make most teams fear aimless kicking at us.

Just finished listening to it. Haha the G&GR duo fear Ben Youngs. JB and Tim corrected them though.

I love how it started with G'Day, so stereotypically Aussie.

Just finished listening to it. Haha the G&GR duo fear Ben Youngs. JB and Tim corrected them though.

I'd fear Youngs. He is a game breaker. His ability to spot and exploit a weakness is as good as just about anyone's. His ability to do the basics is rightly questioned but its not much of a consolation if you lose with him on the try scorers' list.

Ben youngs has played some of his best games V Aus TBF, and has a good record against them. So I can understand why they might fear him.

That's assuming that you've made a clean break through a flat defensive line, and if you only measure the distance a player is travelling up and down the pitch.

In reality, there are often defenders spread quite deep beyond the initial defensive line, and in order to get past that initial line you often have to run fairly fast laterally first.
Also, if a team mate breaks, you might use a lot of the first 20m in support of that player and any other players involved.

All true. But I still think it's fair to say that for any rugby player, outside back or not, speed over the first 20 metres is more important than anywhere else.
Somewhat, but there is one very important use for top end 20m+ pace for back threes, especially wingers, that will be used several times in every game: chasing kicks. The faster the winger, the further up the field you can kick and put the opponent under pressure. Chasing kicks is IMO the most important part of a winger's game. I'd wager that more 20m+ gains in territory are down to a good kick-chase rather than a break. I think it is the crux of why Lancaster wanted May so badly; although May was leashed in attack, he was very much in action for the kick-chase.

Nowell doesn't have that pace, but he is actually quite powerful in the air, way more so than May. If Watson moves to fullback, I can see a case for the May/Nowell partnership again. Kick long to May's side if you want to play kick-chase, kick short to Nowell's side if you want to compete in the air.

I'd fear Youngs. He is a game breaker. His ability to spot and exploit a weakness is as good as just about anyone's. His ability to do the basics is rightly questioned but its not much of a consolation if you lose with him on the try scorers' list.

But can't Care do likewise?

Still I think the issue of crabbing sideways and losing Ford or Farrell a vital number of seconds is well made by JB and Tim as well as them questioning why Robson or Simpson are not in the squad.

Still as has been said here Youngs does have a good record v Australia.

Still enjoyed the listen and will listen to the next one after the next game.

But can't Care do likewise?

Still I think the issue of crabbing sideways and losing Ford or Farrell a vital number of seconds is well made by JB and Tim as well as them questioning why Robson or Simpson are not in the squad.

Still as has been said here Youngs does have a good record v Australia.

Still enjoyed the listen and will listen to the next one after the next game.

Care can but has he do it as often in an English shirt. (And saying Care is a better runner than Youngs is not true IMO)

and Simpson is overrated he is Youngs basically but without the kicking game and older. He is one of those players benefiting from well he isn't such and such. Robson is def the future mind.

I like eggchasers but they are doing the typical self depreciating Englishmen act a bit in this podcast.

Last edited:
Yeah, Care does it too. 2014 6N highlights are basically the Danny Care show. Its a good position to be in, if it were not for the fact that they both have glaring holes in their basic skill sets.

Since we play to a huge extent off of 9 at the moment though, the effects of Youngs' crabbing is overstated. If the ball's going to the fly-half, then as a rule, he's got so much time that Youngs' extra step and bringing the ball into his chest don't matter that much.

I don't remember him doing it so much off 1st phase ball and around the ruck and maul.

He made some excellent support lines of runners though if i remember.

(Will have to watch it again)

I like eggchasers but they are doing the typical self depreciating Englishmen act a bit in this podcast.

I take it you meant self-deprecating, rather than self depreciating;). Also JB is Welsh. Still, I didn't mind it, I thought it was good exchange between G&GR and the Eggchasers.

He's openly said he wants a power runner at 12 hence Manu converting to 12. Teo I think will be in as a like for like swap (bit of a downgrade from Manu) though I'd be happy with Slade at 12.

If Manu was playing in any NZ or AUS SR franchise, I am pretty sure it would be at 12

Wallabies starting XV that Eddie Jones has in mind:

1 Sio
2 Moore
3 Kepu
4 Horwill
5 Simmons
6 Fardy
7 Hooper
8 Pocock
9 Phipps
10 Foley
11 Horne
12 Lea'alifano
13 Kuridrani
14 Naiyaravoro / Haylett-Petty
15 Folau

If Manu was playing in any NZ or AUS SR franchise, I am pretty sure it would be at 12

I've don't see why Jones wants to move Tuilagi to 12. The reason he was so effective at 13 was because he was the only big, powerful OC around so he could dominate that channel, easily breaking through tackles. At 12 he's just another big IC where his pace is wasted. He won't be able to break tackles when up against other giants like Jamie Roberts or SBW. I think if he's starting for England it has to be at 13, at 12 his pace and power is wasted and his lack of kicking and distribution will be highlighted.

Latest posts