16. George
17. Genge
18. Hill
19. Lawes
20. Vunipola (Billy)
21. Youngs
22. Burrell
23. Brown

A few talking points here. Firstly, I've put Itoje at 6 to make way for Launchbury at 4. After a MOTM performance against Wales you can't drop him to the bench, and I don't think Harrison or Robshaw have particularly stood out. Robshaw's time has passed and Teimana is one for the future.
Harrison at 7 over Haskell is an easy choice really. The only aspect in which Haskell beats him are in experience and in size. And size wise, despite Haskell having a couple of stone on him, Harrison still carries and tackles harder and more powerfully.
Probably the choice that will spark most controversy is Clifford over Vunipola t 8. My justification for this is that although Billy is great in Northern Hem slug matches, down under his fitness and pace or lack there of will be massively shown up, which is why I've put him in as an impact sub. Clifford was great against Wales and I feel he has earnt the shirt.
Care at 9 over Youngs because Youngs is Youngs.
Slade at 12 over Burrell is a hard call after Burrell's performance on Sunday, but I personally just prefer Slade, maybe because I'm a chiefs supporter.
Daly at 13 over Joseph as Daly has been on fire this season while Joseph has repeatedly failed to find his form of last season and was poor on Sunday. Everytime Joseph puts one of his short grubbers through I want to scream at him where as Daly actually likes to play the ball when he gets it.
Goode over Brown as Goode has been great all season, getting player of the season while Brown has been average at best. He's been walking into the England team for so long that I think he's become complacent. Dropping him to the bench may drive him to find some better form.
Genge over Mullan on the bench as I think he is better as an impact sub.
Vunipola on the bench to make an impact.
Youngs on the bench because he's the only otherf 9 Eddie took, despite Robson, Chudley and Simpson's better form.
Burrell for his Sunday performance and to make an impact off the bench.

Last edited:
I've seen several posts where people are referring to Cole being a career of the ball. If by that we mean one dimensional lone wolf plodding into two front 5 defenders and then going no where or backwards then fine. Unlike, say Mako, who actually gets some change out the contact and has even been known to throw a cheeky offload or two, and it's that sort of thing that really separates NH and SH.

They tend have good, or even great, hands from 1 to 15, where as we still seem to have that slightly old fashioned idea that passing is for backs and heavy work for forwards. EJ does seem to be addressing this issue but I fear it will come to late for us in these tests.

If we are to triumph we must dominate the set piece. Punish them at scrum time and get Faz ticking over the scoreboard, and the line out has to be top notch with some strong driving mauls which the Aussies tend to hate. With Hartley on from and the likes of Itoje, Kruis and Launch I think we should be ok there. We have to deal robustly with Pooper, and boss the breakdown, and above all we have to be clinical. once in the red zone points need to come.

The 6 nations was a good warmup but this is the real test of how far we have come.

Spartan, one question.

I assume Cole would be part of this dominant set piece you want, would the cheekily offloading Mako? In my book Mako is many things but he remains the very opposite of dominant in the scrum, I'd still say he's a liability there. The fact that EJ has used off the bench behind Marler who's by no means the best scrummaging loose head in the world speaks volumes.

Very few players are "perfect". Selection for the most part is about balance and compromise.

I've seen several posts where people are referring to Cole being a career of the ball. If by that we mean one dimensional lone wolf plodding into two front 5 defenders and then going no where or backwards then fine.

That is exactly what we mean. I think the sarcasm went straight over your head.

The article says July the 1st no ?

Not for the bit I mentioned

"Another change - from June 1 for this one - sees the implementation of a maul law application guideline, which has also been in place in the southern hemisphere since the start of the year."

A bit naughty this one, hence my post.

Not for the bit I mentioned

"Another change - from June 1 for this one - sees the implementation of a maul law application guideline, which has also been in place in the southern hemisphere since the start of the year."

A bit naughty this one, hence my post.

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/north-adopts-minor-law-amendments/

The June Tests will be played under the current laws of the game, with the exception of the maul application guideline, which applies from June 1. Any international tournament that begins in June but overlaps into July will be played under current law.

Yep that's what the above Planet rugby quote is saying.

Just read up on law changes, all of which seem to benefit the SH apart maybe from 9 not being allowed to get in between the 7&8 at scrum time.

The mauling law change seems over the top, and won't serve to speed the game up or make it safer, it will however discourage teams from using it as a tactic which again benefits SH, and this case quite a lot.

The scrum laws changes are actually quite good for the most part, and I really like the penalising diving law.

What's the general view on these for those that have read them and how they will effect is in the long run?

Just read up on law changes, all of which seem to benefit the SH apart maybe from 9 not being allowed to get in between the 7&8 at scrum time.

The mauling law change seems over the top, and won't serve to speed the game up or make it safer, it will however discourage teams from using it as a tactic which again benefits SH, and this case quite a lot.

The scrum laws changes are actually quite good for the most part, and I really like the penalising diving law.

What's the general view on these for those that have read them and how they will effect is in the long run?

Agree with most of what you've said, the maul law is a pain but as an 8, love the new scrum laws. Also am a big fan of the penalising diving, no place for it

I wish that during law changes such as these they'd also highlight laws that have fallen into disuse.

They could mention straight feeds at the scrum pointedly- or the option for a ref to restart the game with a penalty at halfway for misconduct after a score or during penalty kicks, etc.
Dan Biggar could have done with one for the mouthing off after Clifford's try last weekend, for instance.

It only benefits the SH because they choose to play more offensively - going for tries from scrums rather than penalties. Hopefully will encourage NH teams to change their mentality. The laws have been made to make the game more entertaining, as opposed to benefit a particular team/hemisphere.

I'm looking forward to the new scrum laws personally. Watching Super Rugby scrums go down and teams playing on, or the ref giving an advantage and the attacking team having a shot at a try is refreshing, particularly having sat through many scrum-fests in Europe this year.

Hey Englismen and especially Bath supporters. What dou you think about Leroy Houston? Is he a test player? In my opinion he isn't at the same level of Wallabies starter backrow (Pocock, Hooper and Fardy) Could he make the England starting XV?