• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia Vs. Uruguay

Just under ten hours, so best y'all get some sleep. Hopefully those in England will wake up to Australia qualifying.

cricky this has been a crap thread

i hope aussie make it

wait did i just say that o_O

Australia are really under the gun in this playoff. They think that they have the advantage of playing the second leg at home but essentially they are not.

The reasons for the above statement is that Uruguay know what they need to win the game whereas the Australians don't.

For every goal that Uruguay score it will dramatically increase the goals that Australia need to win the game.

If Uruguay score the first goal, and as Australia need to press forward to score at least one goal to even up the tie this is not unlikely, then Australia will need to score three goals to go through. And even if Australia take a 2-0 lead at any stage all Uruguay need is one goal to get back in front. This puts the Australians under a lot of pressure knowing that they have to score at least one goal but if Uruguay score then they will need to score a lot more.

Australia needs to win by two clear goals after ninety to go through. If the game goes in to extra-time then a goal for Uruguay will result in Australia needing two. That is a lot of pressure for a team that needs to score and cannot afford to concede.

I think that Australia has a good shot at going through (although I do think that they will miss out again) but for a team that has a suspect defence at times to expect to go through 90+ minutes against Uruguay is asking too much, I think.

Australia has come a long way since 2001 and will be competitive in Asia even though they are an Oceanian team and should have been made to stay there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Australia are really under the gun in this playoff.  They think that they have the advantage of playing the second leg at home but essentially they are not.

The reasons for the above statement is that Uruguay know what they need to win the game whereas the Australians don't.

For every goal that Uruguay score it will dramatically increase the goals that Australia need to win the game.

If Uruguay score the first goal, and as Australia need to press forward to score at least one goal to even up the tie this is not unlikely, then Australia will need to score three goals to go through.  And even if Australia take a 2-0 lead at any stage all Uruguay need is one goal to get back in front.  This puts the Australians under a lot of pressure knowing that they have to score at least one goal but if Uruguay score then they will need to score a lot more.

Australia needs to win by two clear goals after ninety to go through.  If the game goes in to extra-time then a goal for Uruguay will result in Australia needing two.  That is a lot of pressure for a team that needs to score and cannot afford to concede.

I think that Australia has a good shot at going through (although I do think that they will miss out again) but for a team that has a suspect defence at times to expect to go through 90+ minutes against Uruguay is asking too much, I think.

Australia has come a long way since 2001 and will be competitive in Asia even though they are an Oceanian team and should have been made to stay there.[/b]
I see where you're coming from about the pressures of not conceding a goal but I believe Australia defiantely has the advantage (in this game). Our defence coped extremely well in Montevideo. We were playing the Uruguayans in their own house of pain, a stadium where they are yet to concede defeat to the likes of football super power Argentina! We were always going to be scored against there, and the fact they only managed one is credit to our defence.

Now we need to fire. We need to start the same as we did against Iran in '97, blowing the mother f@#kers completely off the park - except this time I'd like to score a goal or two in the process. Even if the game is played in extra time, they'll be a lot more tired than us, and that should give us the oppurtunity to finish them off.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Who are you? You're nobody. You're beneath me. I'm Sanzar's *****, and I will happily spank myself if he so requests. Please refrain from wasting my time from now on.[/b]
I suppose by changing my post you'd be requesting that now?

Originally posted by Wally@Nov 16 2005, 12:57 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Who are you? You're nobody. You're beneath me. I'm Sanzar's *****, and I will happily spank myself if he so requests. Please refrain from wasting my time from now on.
I suppose by changing my post you'd be requesting that now? [/b][/quote]
I merely made your post more accruately reflect reality
<
. We all know you're my *****.

Australia win 4-2 in the penalty shoot out! I have never, ever been more proud to be Australian. Ever. That was the single greatest Australian sporting achievement of my life time. I feel honoured to be part of that. The crowd, the coach, everyone who has had a hand in getting us there, Johnny Warren and the boys! Harry Kewell and Mark Schwarzer were heroic. I love you all, and now I'm getting drunk.

We're in baby. Go you good thing. About freakin time those Aussies made the World Cup. England we're coming for you
<

Originally posted by Jamie Lyon@Nov 17 2005, 12:43 AM
It isn't possible to win a penalty shootout 5-2....
Don't ruin it Saint Helen
<
I actually said 4-2 the first time but changed it after reading an article on the internet.

_/

Wizards of Oz

For Australia the long wait is over. After 32 years, the Socceroos will return to Germany, scene of their one previous FIFA World Cupâ"¢ finals appearance, for next summer's finals after beating Uruguay 4-2 on penalties in front of 83,000 spellbound spectators in Sydney's Telstra Stadium.

Substitute John Aloisi converted the decisive kick after goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer had produced superb saves to deny Dario Rodriguez and Marcelo Zalayeta, as the Socceroos finally savoured success in a play-off after four previous failures. Trailing 1-0 from the first leg, Marco Bresciano had earlier drawn Australia level on aggregate with a 34th-minute goal before Guus Hiddink's side held their nerve in the climactic shootout to book their ticket to Germany.

Australia's triumph is another landmark for their Dutch coach Hiddink. Brought on board in the summer, the man who led Korea Republic to the semi-finals of the last FIFA World Cupâ"¢ has produced another act of alchemy, helping Austrian football erase the pain of those previous play-off defeats in 1985, 1993, 1997 and 2001.

For the first half-hour of this match, however, it seemed Australia were facing further heartache. The early exchanges were all about Uruguay's little talisman, Alvaro Recoba. Australia needed no introduction to the Inter Milan playmaker whose free-kick had led to Rodriguez's goal in Montevideo. Yet the hosts hardly helped their cause by conceding a series of free-kicks in perfect positions for Recoba to hurt them with his superb left foot. El Chino provided an early scare with a delivery from distance which struck the turf in front of Schwarzer, seemingly catching the keeper by surprise as the ball bounced away off his midriff. Moments later another ball from Recoba had Scott Chipperfield straining to head behind as Carlos Diogo prepared to pounce at the far post.

Uruguay full-back Diego Lugano flashed a header just past the far post after getting his head to Recoba's corner in the 12th minute and with the Socceroos struggling to find their composure, Recoba gave them an even greater scare in the 20th minute. From Fabian Carini's goal-kick, Richard Morales flicked the ball on to Recoba and he skipped away from Tony Vidmar and, with just Schwarzer to beat, opted to strike early and flashed a shot wide of the near post.

With so much at stake, tensions were running high. Paolo Montero shoved a hand into Tim Cahill's face while Tony Popovic earned a caution for catching Recoba with a swinging arm in the 27th minute. That was the big defender's final contribution of note as Hiddink replaced him with Harry Kewell on the half-hour.

Up to that point, Australia's only threat on Carini's goal had come from Jason Culina whose low drive drew a fingertip save from the keeper. However, within four minutes of Kewell's arrival, they were ahead. Cahill and Mark Viduka combined to set up Kewell in the penalty box. The Liverpool winger swung a boot but miskicked yet happily for the Socceroos the ball rolled on to Bresciano who lashed it high into the net.

With the confidence of a goal, Australia started the second half better than they had the first. Bresciano's free-kick into the box produced panic in the Uruguay defence but Chipperfield could only direct his far-post header back across goal. However, Morales then spurned a glorious opportunity at the other end. Rising unopposed to meet Recoba's corner, the big Uruguay striker â€" a goalscoring hero against the Socceroos in 2001 - headed the ball into the ground and up over the crossbar.

The hosts were now enjoying the control Uruguay had in the first half-hour, with Kewell's influence a factor. Cahill volleyed narrowly wide from a Kewell cross, then Bresciano shot over from Viduka's knockdown. Recoba, such a threat in the first period, had become a peripheral figure and made way for Zalayeta in the 72nd minute. Uruguay then suffered the loss of captain Montero to an apparent hamstring injury as Australia kept pushing for the decisive second goal.

Cahill sent a diving header wide and Carini kept out Kewell's near-post strike, before Chipperfield, with a clear sight of goal, delayed too long before shooting following a Bresciano corner. Extra time arrived, adding a fresh layer of tension, and Uruguay suddenly found a second wind. There were Australian hearts in mouths on more than one occasion.

Gustavo Rodriguez headed over from a corner, then, with 116 minutes on the clock, Morales sent a shot a whisker wide of the far post after latching on to Zalayeta’s flick-on. Zalayeta then himself headed into Schwarzer's arms but for the first time, a FIFA World Cup place finals would be decided by penalties.

3866907694.jpg

What an achievement! Australia have made the faggotball world cup so that they can gallantly be knocked out in the pool stages! Brilliant.

Seriously, that game perfectly illustrates why I don't watch soccer... Australia dominated the whole game pretty much, but there was only one goal in the whole match! As a spectator sport, soccer is a game of watching missed opportunities... It's just plain irritating! no wonder there are so many riots.

Hooray, the World Cup has yet another whipping boy! Seriously though, well done Australia. The World Cup is a pleasure to be at.

ahh well, since nz will probably never get into another world cup finals might as well watch aussie get whipped
<

it sounds like they had fun as well

but still i woudln't watch it really just the results

Originally posted by sanzar@Nov 17 2005, 01:02 AM
What an achievement! Australia have made the faggotball world cup so that they can gallantly be knocked out in the pool stages! Brilliant.

Seriously, that game perfectly illustrates why I don't watch soccer... Australia dominated the whole game pretty much, but there was only one goal in the whole match! As a spectator sport, soccer is a game of watching missed opportunities... It's just plain irritating! no wonder there are so many riots.
I've seriously lost so much respect for you Sanzar. You don't like soccer, fine. That doesn't mean you have to put it down when 90% of the country is in extacy. What those boys went through to get us there summarises what it means to be Australian. They gave more than what anyone thought was possible to get us over the line.

Heck, even John Travolta was celebrating in the dressing room.

3866907694.jpg

2944934466.jpg

2636638672.jpg

122096605.jpg

1580263559.jpg

3313827073.jpg

1849404193.jpg

1108026981.jpg

1141729446.jpg

3571122121.jpg

I wonder now if they will be able to Match New Zealands awesome World Cup record of 3 games, 2 Goals.

question... why was john travolta there? what has he got to do with australian soccer? or is he still working for qantas and qantas are sponsoring them?

i love it how the crowd booes uruguay when they sang their anthem....they deserved it!