• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia Vs. Uruguay

Originally posted by BigTen@Nov 29 2005, 03:38 PM
Yeah Wally - you have a good shot at getting grouped with England.  Although I wouldn't be too happy about it if I were you.  England always underperform during friendlies but come good during tournaments.

And I seriously doubt that you'd be able to beat them again.

Australians are pretty confident that they are going to do well in the cup and they have the potential to cause a couple of upsets but I think that they suffer from a lack of depth and if they get a couple of injuries to key players then they will struggle.

A recent poll on SBS' The World Game had just over 20% of people thinking that Australia would win the cup.  No chance of that happening - the only country that has won a world cup outside of their confederation is Brazil.

I am hoping that Liverpool play Harry Kewell to death for the remainder of the season so when he joins the Australian squad he is crippled.  Serves him right for being so crap for Liverpool.
I don't care if we beat them or not, I just want to play them. England come good during tournaments? Oh so that's why they havn't won the Cup in 40 or 50 odd years.

Wally, I think that if you knew your football and your world cup history then you would realise how competitive the world cup is and that England has actually done quite well in most of the recent world cups. They have gone out on penalties a few times and they normally only get eliminated by a top team i.e. Brazil (who went on to win it in 2002).

Yes England haven't won since 1966 but at least they have scored a goal in the tournament unlike Australia. Actually even New Zealand have scored in the world cup.

And England have the rare honour of playing in a world cup tournament and remaining unbeaten but not winning the cup. They share this honour with one other country (it was during the same tournament). I would tell you but I prefer to keep my knowledge to myself.

Originally posted by BigTen@Nov 29 2005, 06:58 PM
Wally, I think that if you knew your football and your world cup history then you would realise how competitive the world cup is and that England has actually done quite well in most of the recent world cups. They have gone out on penalties a few times and they normally only get eliminated by a top team i.e. Brazil (who went on to win it in 2002).

Yes England haven't won since 1966 but at least they have scored a goal in the tournament unlike Australia. Actually even New Zealand have scored in the world cup.

And England have the rare honour of playing in a world cup tournament and remaining unbeaten but not winning the cup. They share this honour with one other country (it was during the same tournament). I would tell you but I prefer to keep my knowledge to myself.
1958... They drew all thier games in pool play, and were tied for 2nd place in the pool with the commies, they went to a play off, which England lost 1-0...

same happened with the Welsh and Hungary - with the Welsh winning the play off 2-1

and I didnt even google that, I read it in a book
<

First of all congratulations to the Australian team for making the FIFA World Cup...
The Socceroos are the only Australian time that I will support (me living in Australia). Especially beating some South American grease-ball team. In Soccer there are no greater idiots, whingers and pathetic losers than the South Americans.

Secondly... congratulations you stupid pieces of ****. Aka "Bafana Bafana" (South Africa). Somehow I knew we would not qualify for Germany... Crap team, crap coach, crap governance of Soccer in South Africa. The only way we would have ever gotten to the 2010 FIFA World Cup is by hosting it.
<
Can't wait!!

Thirdly... Go Nederland, and Go Australia.

Originally posted by BigTen@Nov 29 2005, 05:58 PM

They can 'come good' until the cows come home, that doesn't change the fact they havn't had anything to show for it for 39 years.

Originally posted by BigTen@Nov 29 2005, 05:58 PM
Scotland!!!!!!!!

Scotland were the 1st team ever to bow out of group stages without losing a match.

Ahh yes my new FIFA FEVER 100 yrs of world cup memories DVD is serving me well

What about the mighty Magyars 6 yr reign of being unbeaten...then lose to the Germans in the final....1954

Franz Beckenbauer - The greatest defender to lace a boot.........I even knew of his abilities via PES on PS2.

<

Latest posts