• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia - World Cup 2015 Discussion Thread

I think after getting Douglas out of his contract at Leinster it would have been a miracle if he wasn't selected. Cheika is also a big fan.

Genia embarrased to be selected:

http://www.rugbypigs.com/rugby-news/rugby-world-cup/genia-felt-embarrassed-by-selection/

Australia's Will Genia revealed that he sent a text message to Nic White saying he felt embarrassed to be picked ahead of him for the Rugby World Cup.

"I said: 'Look mate, I feel a bit embarrassed because I haven't played much footy and you played really well with your match-winning cameo against the All Blacks off the bench,'" Genia told AAP.

"I said to him: 'I promise you I'll do my best to make you proud.' I think he appreciated it. He sent me a message back."

Effective Versatile players in the back line are so dangerous
James O'Connor WG 2F FB FH
Adam Ashley-Cooper CT FB WG
Kurtley Beale CT 2F FH FB
Matt Giteau 2F FH *SH
*be it as a cover scrum halve

Most other nations don't quite have that luxury

Effective Versatile players in the back line are so dangerous
James O'Connor WG 2F FB FH
Adam Ashley-Cooper CT FB WG
Kurtley Beale CT 2F FH FB
Matt Giteau 2F FH *SH
*be it as a cover scrum halve

Most other nations don't quite have that luxury

I agree but Justin Bieber isn't at the squad

I think Chieka will regret not taking Horwill, not just for on the pitch but off it also.. I think Chieka is trying to be to smart about it, might bite him the ass..

Plus what's with taking your least inform half backs, I get Phipps has a had a few bad games but he will probably pull it together but Genia?
Even as a Red fan I know he was the best scrum half in the world 3-4 years ago, but that was 3-4 years ago, he hasn't been in form for a while, Nic white should have been in there, I would even have taken Sterzaker over Genia..

Last edited:
That'll be why he selected Quade Cooper, Will Skelton and Kurtley Beale then!
cheesy.gif

Thanks for getting there first.
Horwill ends up in the sin bin occasionally because he's giving it everything in the engine room to try and win the arm wrestle. He is all about guts and glory for his country and I respect that.
Cooper ends up in the sin bin for reasons that are not justifiable to the team.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Chieka will regret not taking Horwill, not just for on the pitch but off it also.. I think Chieka is trying to be to smart about it, might bite him the ass..

Plus what's with taking your least inform half backs, I get Phipps has a had a few bad games but he will probably pull it together but Genia?
Even as a Red fan I know he was the best scrum half in the world 3-4 years ago, but that was 3-4 years ago, he hasn't been in form for a while, Nic white should have been in there, I would even have taken Sterzaker over Genia..

Excellent comment, could not agree more with this statement.

I've been saying it for ages, White is the best scrummy the Aussies have and it's a complete scandal he's not in the team. For me it's a clear over emphasis on the running aspect, it's like South Africa selecting Sarel Pretorius over FdP. Other than that it's a great Aussie team and not to be underestimated.

On a side note it's also ridiculus how 4 teams in the top 9 irb rankings are in the same pool!

Agree with the general consensus that White should be there.
Very good scrummy, and has looked the best of the bunch in a Wallabies shirt, recently, too.
He's also a goal kicker, and considering how flaky every single wallaby goal kicker is, they need to cram as many as the can into their 23 :lol:

I'm a big fan of Genia, but he should (at most) be the third scrumhalf in this side - he said on social media two days ago that he's only just back running in training. It's like 4 weeks until the WC, do you really want someone who may or may not be fit as 50% of your contingent?

Nic White wasn't picked because his clearance from the ruck is too slow. I believe he doesn't contribute to the style of rugby that Cheika wants to play. Taking Genia is a calculated risk, but one worth taking IMO.

Horwill can feel hard done by, but his statistics over the last couple of years don't lie. We may well miss his solid frame in the scrum but his running game and lineout work mean he was expendable.

So while the decisions to leave these two at home might be seen as controversial, they are justifiable in my book.

Cheika may adapt the 6 Forwards 2 Backs Interchange bench that McKenzie operated at the Reds… He trialled this format against the ABs in Game 2 which isn't a strong indicator that it's a good idea… In this case I believe they will play either the REDS halves or the TAHS halves & if that is so 2 Scrum Halves with Giteau (being a cover Scrum Halve) a 3rd option is understandable but not acceptable IMO… Cooper is going to need to be more disciplined if he wants to stay on the field… Phipps & Genia probably the most suited of the 3 options (White the 3rd) to play the full 80 with Toomua a more preferred 12 & Lealiifano not being looked at…
Usually the halves for RWC squads are selected due to familiarity (chemistry) Foley & Phipps, Cooper & Genia, Toomua/ Lealiifano & White
Now Larkham is on the Wallabies coaching staff so I'm not sure why White isn't going… He is a better option IMO than Phipps… He may prove me wrong but I haven't enjoyed a single game of his that I've watched

Cheika is a tryhard. Leaving out Nic White stinks of elitism. No logical decision there a part from some obscure stats someone will pull out and the never ending love affair with Quade Cooper sums him up. Just another wannabe.

Nearly got lockjaw from dropping that White, Horwell and Lealiifano were left behind. Shocking and i don't care what any stats say. Cheika better hope they get out of the group because if they don't, they have 3 bullets to execute him with when they get home imo.

Cheika is a tryhard. Leaving out Nic White stinks of elitism. No logical decision there a part from some obscure stats someone will pull out and the never ending love affair with Quade Cooper sums him up. Just another wannabe.

That's a pretty bizarre summation mate I've got to say. Cheika is building a good thing, and I have complete faith in his decision-making. It's done him pretty well over the last decade of professional coaching.

After looking at the squad selected for RWC XV and much thought
Based on talent & experience
This is the squad that should be in England IMO

HK Moore © TPN Hanson(?)
PR Kepu Sio Slipper Robinson(form based omission) Alexander(form based omission)
SR Simmons Horwill(form based omission) Mumm Skelton
LF Pocock Hooper Fardy Higginbotham(?) McCalman
SH Genia White(?)
FH Cooper Foley
MF Giteau AAC Toomua Kuridrani Horne
OB Folau Beale Mitchell Speight O'Connor(form-based omission)

I'd take Horne or Phipps
I'm biased in taking Horne over Phipps
Phipps slightly overrated IMO but he's healthy all the time so he's a safer option to Genia but Genia IMO is a top 3 world class ScrumHalve

That's a pretty bizarre summation mate I've got to say. Cheika is building a good thing, and I have complete faith in his decision-making. It's done him pretty well over the last decade of professional coaching.

Yeah I was fairly drunk when I wrote that. I should elaborate a bit more. He's got world class players and combinations to work with that other coaches didn't. The return of Gits is a big booster and he caught the All Blacks in a RWC year when they don't put the whole 100% into every game. I think this guys overrated personally, not sure what he has against Horwill, even if he is out off form, he's an integral senior player with a lot of experience, easily should have made the squad and don't know what's with his persistence with Quade Cooper, sometimes I'm just left wondering wtf coaches think. White and Horwill should be going, sure they had a rough one against the AB's at Eden Park, but his selection for that game was poor and the ABs love dishing out revenge.

Last edited:
If I was an Ocker, I would be mildly surprised and a tad disappointed at a few of the choices made by Cheika, moreso because its difficult to ascertain WHY he made them....
However, the bulk of his choices were obvious and he made them accordingly.
The Aussies are in the process of turning a corner in their forward pack.
They continue to have a wonderfully productive loose forward combination and their backline is dripping with pace, guile, power and unadulterated talent.
Their group is a harsh environment.
Games against Wales and England will be critical as to whether they continue their journey into the knockout stages of the tournament.
Personally I'm glad the Aussie star is on the rise, they play attractive attacking rugby and they make rugby richer when they are running hot.
Close games = cardiac arrest but it also means excitement.
Even when their pack has been dominated and bullied the Aussie backline has kept a sting in the tail that gives them the ability to sneak a win from the jaws of defeat against any team in world rugby.
There is no doubt Aussie will be desperate to win the group and avoid a quarter final smash up with the Beefy Boks.
Always entertaining regardless of the result Aussie will be a must watch team at the RWC and their group will offer the most entertainment of the four.

Well he is a try hard, but I agree he's not doing as bad a job as I thought he would.

He's had some common sense in that Cooper, Beale and O connor (dropped) have not featured as much as in the past which is a wise move. The less they feature the better that team will be. He obviously still rates Cooper though which is a bit of a wonder.

Latest posts