Australian National Club Competition

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by Mehrtsisagod, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Mehrtsisagod

Mehrtsisagod Guest

Australia's attempt to match New Zealand's NPC and South Africa's Currie Cup
    1 June 2006

A new eight team national rugby competition will kickoff next year in Australia.

It will run from July to October and be made up of three teams from New South Wales, two from Queensland and one each from the ACT, Victoria and WA.

It is an Australia's attempt to match New Zealand's NPC and South Africa's Currie Cup - a way of bridging the gap between club rugby and the Super 14.

Meanwhile, Wallabies and Brumbies openside George Smith has upstaged Peter Hewitt and Stirling Mortlock to win the Australian Rebel Sport Super 14 player of the year crown.

Smith, who won by a massive seven votes, is understated about his success, saying he is pleased with his form and how he has improved by a player.

Waratahs prop Ben Robinson was named Rookie of the Year while Ewen McKenzie has claimed back-to-back coaching gongs.

nzcity.co.nz

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. sanzar

sanzar Guest

Dam! You beat me too it!

I'm still gonna post my smh story on it though.

And it's about bloody time too! The Sydney and Brisbane club comps simply aren't played at anywhere near a high enough level for them to continually be receiving the amount of funding they do... this will save Aussie rugby and help it grow immensly.

4. rugged

rugged Guest

The QLDers have wanted this for a long time.

Just wondering how they got the NSW people to come round.

And can't believe they all went ahead and made the decision decisively!

5. sanzar

sanzar Guest

Yeah, me neither mate... I gotta confess I was checking the calender to see if it was April first when I saw the story!

6. Rassie

Rassie Guest

Smart decision! I wonder how RL and AFL will react! I bet they aren`t happy with this RU competition!

7. sanzar

sanzar Guest

hmmm, yeah... Dunno if an 8 team 2.5 million dollar budget rugby comp will be able to compete with either the NRL or AFL to be honest, especially considering the S14 is struggling as it is to compete. But it will grow over time and it will provide Aussie rugby with that extra level of class competition that they've been lacking over the years.

8. Rassie

Rassie Guest

Of course they won`t be able to compete at the beginning with AFL and NRL! What will happen, IMO, it will steal a percentage from the NRL and AFL spectators!

If they are smart and marketing tools will do their job, RU Comp in Aus may become a force to be reckon with in a short time! Remember Australia team before 80`s! Nothing, almost nothig, and in a few years they become a top team !

As in an Adidas commercial: Impossible is nothing :D

P.S: You, aussies, are not dedicated RL or AFL supporters! Few of you are! You are easy shifters from one sport to another which is not so bad ! From this point of view, IMO, you are very similar with yankees!

9. sanzar

sanzar Guest

That's probably true to an extent... There are less dyed in the wool code fans than other countries here (though I'd argue melbourne is pretty hostile to anything non-AFL), but that's simply a reflection on the number of sports played here... I mean we have 4 major football codes, so of course interest will shift a bit. It's not like the majority of Europe or South America where they've only ever heard of soccer.

10. Rassie

Rassie Guest

Yeah, true! Anyway, it was time for Australia to have a RU competition !

Do you know where i think this will have a major influence? I think young players will be more interested to choose Union !

11. sanzar

sanzar Guest

It'll give players more options without a doubt, and we'll see less of them heading to Europe, and also help stem the flow of union juniors who sign with NRL clubs. Though the latter will still be a problem untill the comp gets a bit more money running through it.

12. QKXV

QKXV Guest

I agree, it will defenitely draw more talent and give you guys some more depth which can only result in comps like S14 and tri nations delivering a higher quality of rugby. Especially in the S14 , no more Cursaders viictories for a start!!

13. Rassie

Rassie Guest

Sanzar, don`t you have an RU competition currently in NSW?

14. sanzar

sanzar Guest

There are a couple layers, but all well below the S14 in terms of quality... there are 2 competitions in Sydney: The first is for all the non S14 players and is called the Shute Sheild, then when the S14 finishes a new comp (with the same teams but with all their non wallaby S14 players) starts called the Toohey's New cup. However neither are adaquate preparation for S14 or International... Tim Donnelly is a great example of this in that he's a stand out in the Toohey's New cup, but very much insufficient at S14 level. Other than that their is a country comp called the Ranfury Sheild that has all the non core rugby provinces (all outside NSW and Qld) involved in a national comp with the country sides of NSW and Qld (usually no S14 level players), but it's incredibly amature and below even the sydney club comp in terms of quality.

15. Dumbo

Dumbo Guest

About time!

It's a leg up for players to get to the Super 14, it's good for sports administrators, it's good for coaches, it's good for ref's, it's good for players, it's good for fans.

It's just good.

16. sanzar

sanzar Guest

Exactly! And everyone in the coutry realises it's the best thing for the game in Australia since professionalism, it's only the self absorbed elbow patch brigade power players from the old Sydney Clubs like Randwick and Sydney Uni that have been holding it back... Dam shame too, they've effectively stunted the growth of Aussie Rugby because of it. But no more! and that's the important thing! I can't wait, I'll soon have another team to support.

17. Rassie

Rassie Guest

I was going to ask you about the team you are going to support !

18. sanzar

sanzar Guest

Well there will be 3 NSW teams, so I'll be supporting the Sydney team (I'm assuming there will probably be a gosford team or something... not really sure what they'll do though). Can't wait to see what they do with it though!

19. Rassie

Rassie Guest

Well, considering that perhaps the Sydney team will be a top one (i`m basing this on the money involvment), you`ll be supporting a top squad! How come don`t you even consider of supporting an outsider team :D (from NSW , of course)

20. sanzar

sanzar Guest

I'll support the victorian team as a second team, because I want the game to grow there, but Sydney is where it's at for me... Won't ever support (truly support) non-Sydney or NSW (if it's provincial) teams.

21. Rassie

Rassie Guest

Yeah, i see and totally agree! I thought perhaps you`ll make an excpetion on the `support your local team ` rule :D

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!