Best (and worst) Marquee Players

Which Tyler

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Bath
So next summer sees the reduction in marquee players from 2 down to 1; (presumably with a grandfather clause for those with longer contracts).
With Faletau leaving Bath, we've already seen the first casualty - albeit one who's never lived up to the promise for a marquee (through no fault of his own).

Plenty of Bath fans, in a fit of melodrama, are calling Faletau "the worst marquee ever" as if they're already forgotten Stephen Donald and [Redacted}, let alone players for other clubs.

So who have been the best Marquee Players in the premiership? Who have been the worst?
This wouldn't have to be a club's actual Marquee Player (because we never actually know that) but the best (and worst) big-name signing, brought in from elsewhere to light up a club.

For me, it's hard to look past Nick Evans here; especially with his longevity, and as he's stuck with Quins into his coaching career, and seems to be making a success of that.
Honourable mentions would go to the likes of Bruce Reihana, Matthew Burke, Charles Piautau.

As for the worst, this would surely be the "Chris Jack" award; though [Redacted] would push him close, if only for the mess he left in his wake. Franks boys are probably my "dishonourable mentions" here.

Who else gets a mention? Even as an "honourable" or a "my club"

Last edited:
Richie Gray was our worst - outbid French clubs for him, he turned up and just wasn't interested at all.
Barely went through the motions in games - BT Sport were tearing their hair out on comms at his level of effort/commitment etc.
Left by mutual consent after a season

Think our best is probably Faf - not just for him, but because it also opened the doors to signing others (i.e. he was the one who convinced the du Preez twins to come to us on loan initially etc.)

Whilst I'm not sure if he's been a true marquee at any point (he's likely been put in the marquee category at some point just for accounting purposes, but he's not getting £1m a season like Piutau or anything) but I think Jimmy Gopperth has been one of the best imports in prem history

Agree Nev historically has to be the best.

Andre the giant a shout for best in the Prem at the moment?

Andre the giant a shout for best in the Prem at the moment?
Is he a marquee?
I wouldn't have thought (at the time of his signing) he'd have commanded that kinda wedge

Though looking at the Quins squad there's no one that specifically stands out as a massive earner, so he could well be

Is he a marquee?
I wouldn't have thought (at the time of his signing) he'd have commanded that kinda wedge

Though looking at the Quins squad there's no one that specifically stands out as a massive earner, so

I'd guess that it's him and Smith.

He got a new contract a couple months ago out of the blue so that may have been him coming out of the Marquee category and leaving it to Smith for the new regs

Tigers
Best - Non England International George Ford
Worst - Manu Tuilagi

I think Marcos Ayerza might have been our best marquee player from outside really.

Some good choices in here.

To summarise:

Jeremy Paul (Glaws), Demetri Catrakilis (Quins), Radike Samo (Newcastle - never actually made it there), JP Pietersen (Tigers), Nemani Nadolo (Exeter - Too many overseas/drink driving), Christian Lomananu (Tigers), Catalin Fercu (Saracens), Napolioni Nalaga (Irish), Todd Clever (Newcastle), Takashi Kikutani (Saracens - Training Contract - never played)

From current teams i'd also add Irish have a string Waisake Naholo, Sean O'Brien Sekope Kepu

Further terrible signings: Bath (Burgess), Bristol (Tyrese Johnson-Fisher (HYPED YOUNGSTER), Chris Paterson (Glaws), Paul Sackey (Quins), Gavin Henson (Saracens), Steve Thompson (3yr contract, retired after 1 game but for good reason now) Dom Barrow (saints), Richie Gray (Sharks), Ben Te'o (Wuss)
[h3][/h3]Anyone who played for London Welsh in the Premiership.

Jeremy Paul - good option there.
Demetri Catrakilis - harsh to include someone who suffered a life threatening injury
Radike Samo - never actually signed

The question for who... London Welsh or Wasps.
Well, IIRC he was the big hope for LWelsh, expected to instill them with proper professionalism, lead by example, and keep them off the foot of the table. Allegedly paid an insane salary.
IIRC he was an injury joker for Wasps, and already a busted flush. Almost certianly not paid a huge amount (by Wasps)

Last edited:
Jeremy Paul - good option there.
Demetri Catrakilis - harsh to include someone who suffered a life threatening injury
Radike Samo - never actually signed

Well, IIRC he was the big hope for LWelsh, expected to instill them with proper professionalism, lead by example, and keep them off the foot of the table. Allegedly paid an insane salary.
IIRC he was an injury joker for Wasps, and already a busted flush. Almost certianly not paid a huge amount (by Wasps)
TBF just vocalising their article but i'd agree it was harsh.

I would say Irish have had a fair few terrible choices

Completely forgot he even signed for them!
Gotta be up there - he'd have been on some serious cash considering they were newly promoted
Well if Sean O'Brien is on 450k then i assume that Naholo would be on 300k plu

Totally forgot about Dom Barrow. I thought he could have been a very good player at one stage.

Latest posts