• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bath - we're screwed, right?

Yeah, I think that person got confused between "an anouncement" (AKA: team's up!) and "a signing announcement".

Wishful thinking, basically. Even if we have something lined up. we won't be announcing until Bladders is there to claim it (or the player arrives at Bristol Airport).

Yeah when nothing appeared I actually read the comments after his post, seems your'e right.

God life is so dull when there's no real rugby being played!

Guy Mercer confirmed as captain ...

Decent enough player, but I wouldn't have him down as being a regular enough starter to captain the side?

He'll be the captain behind the scenes - won't make the match-day squad when everyone's fit and firing.
He bleeds BB&W, and it gives Bladders a year to run his eye over the whole squad.
Garvey, Louw and Faletau will start with Denton on the bench and providing rotation (hopefully) - Guy will get game time when FLouw's with the Saffers... or injured.

Haven't seen any of the warm ups, don't even know if they were available to view, but 3 from 3 can't be bad. Any idea which individuals / combos stood out?

Faletau sounding impressive (obviously), no-one in particular from what I can make out.

Yeah, I've heard much the same, Faletau impressing, Bowden and Clark looking good in tandem, beyond that, not too much information

Bowden/Clarke performing is good news given the centre situation. Faletau no surprise!

Just wandered in here because I saw the thing about Mercer as club captain. Can a guy honestly be a leader when everyone knows he won't make a full strength side in a month on Mondays?

Also, don't think its been mentioned, but Blackadder's watched every Bath game for the last two years to prepare. Noice.

It's weird, club captains are always awkward, because if they're anywhere close to being first choice, then they're simply "captains".

I can't recall someone who is so clearly inferior to their competition being made captain, though.

Just wandered in here because I saw the thing about Mercer as club captain. Can a guy honestly be a leader when everyone knows he won't make a full strength side in a month on Mondays?

Also, don't think its been mentioned, but Blackadder's watched every Bath game for the last two years to prepare. Noice.

Wow, that's commitment. Must've been pretty disappointed when making the switch from season 1 to season 2.

Wow, that's commitment. That's nearly 1 1/2 days of rugby. Must've been pretty disappointed when making the switch from season 1 to season 2 though.

I actually don't have a problem with Guy as captain (unlike some of Hooper's seasons in the role).

After the shit-storm of Mike Ford's favouritism, last season's resultsand performances, Mike Ford's backstabbing, split dressing rooms, Mike Ford's penis being put where it doesn't belong, and the loss of players due to a lack of respect for the club and management... This year what we really need is a captain who bleeds BB&W, has the respect (as a person) of the whole squad, preferably their friendship as well who can unite the squad, and build bridges. We also need one who doesn't then lead to a debate about his selection on match-days. Guy seems to fit both parts really well. There's no doubt about his passion for the club, or the respect the players have for him as a man, his leadership abilities have been talked up since he arrived in the academy, and there's no debate to be had as to whether he deserves his place.

Oh, and bladders has watched more than 1 1\2 days of rugby, it's 63 matches (+ others from previous seasons, and non-Bath matches to see the newer players, or Bath players in different systems). Mind you, I guess he had little else to do for 3 weeks waiting for his visa to come through.

Last edited:
I actually don't have a problem with Guy as captain (unlike some of Hooper's seasons in the role).

After the shit-storm of Mike Ford's favouritism, last season's resultsand performances, Mike Ford's backstabbing, split dressing rooms, Mike Ford's penis being put where it doesn't belong, and the loss of players due to a lack of respect for the club and management... This year what we really need is a captain who bleeds BB&W, has the respect (as a person) of the whole squad, preferably their friendship as well who can unite the squad, and build bridges. We also need one who doesn't then lead to a debate about his selection on match-days. Guy seems to fit both parts really well. There's no doubt about his passion for the club, or the respect the players have for him as a man, his leadership abilities have been talked up since he arrived in the academy, and there's no debate to be had as to whether he deserves his place.

Oh, and bladders has watched more than 1 1\2 days of rugby, it's 63 matches (+ others from previous seasons, and non-Bath matches to see the newer players, or Bath players in different systems). Mind you, I guess he had little else to do for 3 weeks waiting for his visa to come through.

I sometimes kid myself I'd enjoy being a rugby head coach, but I don't know how you can do that and not come to despise the sport...

There are several issues with the non-starter as captain vibe. For one thing, is he happy with it? Essentially being told your job is not playing rugby.

What happens on the games he doesn't start - especially if the on-pitch captain is successful, does Mercer take the reigns for one day or does the club captain have to be subservient to another player while on the pitch?

Finally, I was never a fan of the Hooper situation, and this seems to be a repeat. Plus, we still have Hooper hanging around in a vague, non-defined role (which the incoming coach had no say in). Are we going to end up with a disjointed leadership team, with Head Coach, Club Captain, 1st XV Captain and Former Captain/Coach/Whatever all with different spheres of influence?

I think they should've given captaincy to Louw. Definite starter when he isn't away and led the side for the majority of last season.

Or maybe Attwood, granted with Charteris and Ewels around he's not guaranteed to start but I'd have thought that he will. And won't be away on international duty (unless it's Saxons). On the topic of Saxons, he led them, so I'm sure he'd do alright with Bath.

Louw is probably the intended on pitch captain, for those reasons plus dovetails quite nicely with Mercer being the same position - when Louw's out, Mercer can start and lead.

On the subject, is anyone else a bit erect about the thought of Faletau and Louw in the back row together?

Supposedly two new centre signings to be announced "very soon" - apparently Blackadder said this in a radio interview

Robbie Fruean is being heavily linked as well...

Latest posts