• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bath - we're screwed, right?

Ancient Bris/Barf tribalism aside, I honestly can't see you finishing any lower than you did this past season... I honestly expect everything will be fine.

I reckon Bath should chuck a load of money at Connacht for Bundee Aki. He's probably one of the best 12s in the NH, but alongside that, it would be really amusing/satisfying to deny the Irish another 'project player'.

I'm definitely not anti-Irish, but the concept of the project player really sits badly with me. It'd be silly for us not to pick Nathan Hughes now, but I'm still not comfortable with it. Close family connections like Hartley or Harrison are a different case.

If not Aki, Stuart McCloskey's not getting in the Ireland squad at the moment and Ulster have loads of centres. Worth an enquiry - even more so if McCloskey has Aki to compete with at test level.

I reckon Bath should chuck a load of money at Connacht for Bundee Aki. He's probably one of the best 12s in the NH, but alongside that, it would be really amusing/satisfying to deny the Irish another 'project player'.

I'm definitely not anti-Irish, but the concept of the project player really sits badly with me. It'd be silly for us not to pick Nathan Hughes now, but I'm still not comfortable with it. Close family connections like Hartley or Harrison are a different case.

If not Aki, Stuart McCloskey's not getting in the Ireland squad at the moment and Ulster have loads of centres. Worth an enquiry - even more so if McCloskey has Aki to compete with at test level.
Won't happen. He will be on really good money with a central contract even before his eligibility. And I don't know what would be amusing about throwing loads of money at out union for a player. Hardly like we'd be screwed over in that case. Also McCloskey only signed a new contract a year early a few months back. Also not going anywhere.

What's going on with Eastmond also? He still hasn't signed for another club after his firing via email AFAIK?

Won't happen. He will be on really good money with a central contract even before his eligibility. And I don't know what would be amusing about throwing loads of money at out union for a player. Hardly like we'd be screwed over in that case. Also McCloskey only signed a new contract a year early a few months back. Also not going anywhere.

It's not about screwing over the Irish union. More a case of denying a test opportunity to a mercenary player IMO. As I said, I'm not in the least bit anti-Irish, I just despise the concept of project players so I would prefer if Aki didn't end-up playing for Ireland.

A massive pay check from Bath or any other NH club outside of Ireland isn't going to make him less of a mercenary, but at least it doesn't cheapen test rugby.

Re. McCloskey, I didn't know about his contract situation - but he publicly alluded to the fact that he was frustrated at not being selected recently and with Olding going well at 12 in SA and Aki a potential threat on the horizon, he might consider a move if another season goes by and he's stuck on 1 cap.

*shrugs* Something has to give with Ulster's centre stockpile at some point but it probably won't be McCloskey. Might be able to persuade the right people that Cave should be released early, I guess, maybe.

*shrugs* Something has to give with Ulster's centre stockpile at some point but it probably won't be McCloskey. Might be able to persuade the right people that Cave should be released early, I guess, maybe.

Agreed - although Joe Schmidt is probably the one with the greatest influence on that TBH. IMO McCloskey should at least be making the squad.

Agreed - although Joe Schmidt is probably the one with the greatest influence on that TBH. IMO McCloskey should at least be making the squad.

He missed the last one because a summer off was thought to be better for the player given how recently he went professional and was in the squad before that.

Besides, Schmidt time with Ireland may be limited.

Apparently he wants 400k per season and we said nah

If that's what he's after, then I can see why Bath balked, once his principal sponsor was shown the door.
Still wrong to do it though, let alone by email.

Sorry, missed this earlier - yep, that's the one. I'm happy to take a beating for the team; but I'm NOT taking Barnes to Bath to allow for better commentary for everyone.

ISorry, missed this earlier - yep, that's the one. I'm happy to take a beating for the team; but I'm NOT taking Barnes to Bath to allow for better commentary for everyone.

Aaaaaaahh go on, go on......!!

Now it's confirmed that Eastmond is going Bath really need to sort out their coach and some backs.

Right now they just don't have the depth to compete in the AP and the cup competitions and they really are 1 or 2 injuries away from having to chuck academy kids in at this rate.

Latest posts