• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bath - we're screwed, right?

Yeah he's a pretty good bet going on rumour. Not sure about the other one though

If anyone's interested, I did a quick defensive analysis of Bath in the three tries they conceded against Worcester - based on the highlights from Premiership Rugby here:
http://www.premiershiprugby.com/video/highlights-bath-rugby-v-worcester-warriors-round-3/

I'm almost ashamed to admit how sad I am by posting it, but I had a crap day at work and tragically this is how I relax ...

IMO Bath had two major issues. Firstly, they didn't slow down or turnover the ball, enabling Worcester to build phases with good quality quick ball, which is always extremely hard to defend against.

Secondly, they got outflanked too easily. This partly comes form point one, as it allowed Worcester the quality of ball to get it wide quickly, but it also came from positional/communication errors in the line - especially between the two centres, Bowden and Banahan, who didn't look comfortable together. Clark-Joseph was unquestionably a better defensive unit, Clark has not set the world alight in attack but has quietly defended very well, and JJ has always been a top class defensive centre.

I have to single out Bowden in particular for poor defence, he was at fault in 2 of the 3 tries plus there were other poor reads and missed tackles throughout the game.

First Try:

First thing to note is it's Batty coming from the tail, who is not especially quick. This leaves Banahan (who is standing at 10, with Ford at 13) unable to drift and has to bite in on the Worcs 10. Bowden is also too slow up leaving a dogleg, these 2 factors combined leaves Bowden isolated, he flies in on one of the runners and Heathcote puts another one through the hole he leaves.

Kudos to Homer for a great tackle, but the ball is recycled quickly and an excellent long flat ball from the 9 and another flat miss pass moves the ball wide before Bath can settle. Ford did poorly, should have gone lower, but the damage was already done.

Second try:

First phase, Houston will say he cut off the attack coming out the line, but I think he got away with one to be honest

The try scoring phase is an excellent example of how important cohesion and communication are in defence and how easily a mistake or poor positioning infield can quickly extend and multiply outwards leaving space on the outside. Watching closely, I believe the space outside Rokoduguni which the winger runs into is caused much further infield … by a prop, of course. It's Nathan Catt (wearing 17, between white-hat-Attwood and turquoise-hat-Mercer) who I think starts the problems. Catt stays in too long, not drifting out - possibly his fault, possibly a failure of communication by others, probably a mix of both. Mercer exarcebates this by doglegging a bit, meaning Bowden (not his fault this time) is forced to turn in, and sit back on his heals ready tp tackle the Worcs 5. Banahan doesn't trust him one on one (understandably, to be honest) so hangs around to help instead of pushing wide. This means he gets exposed on the outside, which means Roko can't get wide which puts the winger in space.

The less said about Homer's miss the better.

Third try:

Banana gets his spacing wrong here, he is too tight leaving too much space between him and Bowden outside. Bowden dithers, maybe earlier errors have rocked his confidence, so Homer has to rush in to take his man, leaving Watson exposed. Watson still should have made the tackle though, that was pretty poor.

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone's interested, I did a quick defensive analysis of Bath in the three tries they conceded against Worcester - based on the highlights from Premiership Rugby here:
http://www.premiershiprugby.com/video/highlights-bath-rugby-v-worcester-warriors-round-3/

I'm almost ashamed to admit how sad I am by posting it, but I had a crap day at work and tragically this is how I relax ...

IMO Bath had two major issues. Firstly, they didn't slow down or turnover the ball, enabling Worcester to build phases with good quality quick ball, which is always extremely hard to defend against.

Secondly, they got outflanked too easily. This partly comes form point one, as it allowed Worcester the quality of ball to get it wide quickly, but it also came from positional/communication errors in the line - especially between the two centres, Bowden and Banahan, who didn't look comfortable together. Clark-Joseph was unquestionably a better defensive unit, Clark has not set the world alight in attack but has quietly defended very well, and JJ has always been a top class defensive centre.

I have to single out Bowden in particular for poor defence, he was at fault in 2 of the 3 tries plus there were other poor reads and missed tackles throughout the game.

First Try:

First thing to note is it's Batty coming from the tail, who is not especially quick. This leaves Banana (who is standing at 10, Ford at 13) unable to drift and has to bite in on the Worcs 10. Bowden is also too slow up leaving a dogleg, these 2 combined leaves Bowden isolated, he flies in on one of the runners and Heathcote puts another one through the hole he leaves.

Kudos to Homer for a great tackle, but the ball is recycled quickly and an excellent long flat ball from the 9 and another flat miss pass moves the ball wide before Bath can settle. Ford did poorly, should have gone lower, but the damage was already done.

Second try:

First phase, Houston will say he cut off the attack coming out the line, but I think he got away with one to be honest

The try scoring phase is an excellent example of how important cohesion and communication are in defence and how easily a mistake or poor positioning infield can quickly extend and multiply outwards leaving space on the outside. Watching closely, I believe the space outside Rokoduguni which the winger runs into is caused much further infield … by a prop, of course. It's Nathan Catt (wearing 17, between white-hat-Attwood and turquoise-hat-Mercer) who I think starts the problems. Catt stays in too long, not drifting out - possibly his fault, possibly a failure of communication by others, probably a mix of both. Mercer exarcebates this by doglegging a bit, meaning Bowden (not his fault this time) is forced to turn in, and sit back on his heals ready tp tackle the Worcs 5. Banahan doesn't trust him one on one (understandably, to be honest) so hangs around to help instead of pushing wide. This means he gets exposed on the outside, which means Roko can't get wide which puts the winger in space.

The less said about Homer's miss the better.

Third try:

Banana gets his spacing wrong here, he is too tight leaving too much space between him and Bowden outside. Bowden dithers, maybe earlier errors have rocked his confidence, so Homer has to rush in to take his man, leaving Watson exposed. Watson still should have made the tackle though, that was pretty poor.

Latest posts